Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blower motor died on a 18 year old Furnace: Update 2

Well, it's been over 24 hours and my home is quiet and warm with the
new furnace motor. I have replaced it yesterday and everything is well
so far. I hope it stays that way.

Now another question. How does one adjust the dampers in a 2 story
house. I understand that in the winter I need to favor downstairs with
the air flow and in the summer the upstairs. I have two dampers to
control the left and right side of the house downstairs and a third
damper to control up/down distribution. I have set the bottom two to
be almost all open and the up/down one to be almost closed, which would
divert most of the air flow downstairs. After 24 hours with the new
motor and these settings the temperature is within 1 degree between
upstairs and downstairs. I am happy, but what do I do in the summer?
Just the opposite? I noticed when installing the motor that the
heating wire went to the high speed and the cooling wire went to the
slow speed on the old motor. I wired the new motor the same way, but
am wondering why is the cooling slower?

Thanks as usual, love the forum!
Vladimir