Posted to alt.home.repair
Douglas Fifield

Default Amana Washer Leak

We inherited an Amana washing machine with the house we bought five
years ago. The model is LW8203W2.

This morning it started to leak. The leak is slow and appears to be
coming out of the tub around the central shaft. I suspect a seal is
bad or something is loose.

Any suggestions on further trouble shooting and how to determine if
this is a self repair? I do a fair amount of work on my own cars but
have not torn a washer apart.

Douglas
Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

Douglas Fifield wrote:
We inherited an Amana washing machine with the house we bought five
years ago. The model is LW8203W2.

This morning it started to leak. The leak is slow and appears to be
coming out of the tub around the central shaft. I suspect a seal is
bad or something is loose.

Any suggestions on further trouble shooting and how to determine if
this is a self repair? I do a fair amount of work on my own cars but
have not torn a washer apart.

Douglas

Hi,

The model is LW8203W2

I found...
LW8203W2/PLW8203W2 LW8203W2B/PLW8203W2A LW8203W2B/PLW8203W2B
LW8203W2-PLW8203W2A

The leak is slow and appears to be
coming out of the tub around the central shaft. I suspect a seal is
bad or something is loose

Loose, not likely...worn out, very possible.

Something that may help...
http://www.applianceaid.com/amana-wash.html#leaking

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Douglas Fifield

After reading everything I could find on the web about Amana washer
leaks, and after pulling the agitator and the drive hub, I decided to
bite the bullet and call in a Sear's repair guy. Everyone who posted
about replacing a hub seal on these units said it was the worst job
they had ever attempted. I have enough headaches already. Thanks for
all who read and responded.

Douglas

On 20 Dec 2005 10:41:18 -0800, "Appliance Repair Aid"
wrote:

Douglas Fifield wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

G'day,

Everyone who posted about replacing a hub seal on these units said it was the worst job
they had ever attempted

It is a bear!!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Douglas Fifield

OK, decision time. First words out of the repair guy's mouth were,
"How attached are you to this machine?" Bad....

The estimate is $350 US for parts and labor. A seal kit and a new
bearing (he says that if the tub seal is leaking, the bearing is going
to go). Two guys on the labor charge (springs take two guys
apparently).

He was really trying to get me to buy a new washer. Plus, it will be
a week before he has the parts to fix it. So, do I go with this, or
bite the bullet and try it myself?

A couple of questions about the method. Does the washer top flip up
after removing the two screws on the front underside?

The seal under the hub drive, how is that removed?

Thanks,

D.

G'day,