Posted to alt.home.repair
long eddy

Default ~~~~low flow....toilet problems

Gerber toilet
----------------------------

We have had a low flow toilet on our second floor for ten years.

Just recently it started acting up and has not been reliable since.

Our plumber has suggested that it is because the aging pipes in our old
farmhouse are shifting away from their original vertical position in the
walls.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eddy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nick Hull

In article ,
"long eddy" wrote:

Gerber toilet
----------------------------

We have had a low flow toilet on our second floor for ten years.

Just recently it started acting up and has not been reliable since.

Our plumber has suggested that it is because the aging pipes in our old
farmhouse are shifting away from their original vertical position in the
walls.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eddy

Does the bowl have a syphon? Have you cleaned it lately?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"long eddy" wrote in message ...
Gerber toilet
----------------------------

We have had a low flow toilet on our second floor for ten years.

Just recently it started acting up and has not been reliable since.

Our plumber has suggested that it is because the aging pipes in our old
farmhouse are shifting away from their original vertical position in the
walls.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just a thought. Old plumbing was designed for high flow toilets. Is it possible
that long term low flows has allowed debris to settle, partially blocking the
drain. It might be interesting to dump a couple 5 gallon buckets of water
quickly down the toilet and see if that helps.

I can't think of any reason why old pipes would suddenly decide to shift position
unless there was water damage or an earthquake or something.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:58:26 -0800, "Bob" wrote:

Our plumber has suggested that it is because the aging pipes in our old
farmhouse are shifting away from their original vertical position in the
walls.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just a thought. Old plumbing was designed for high flow toilets. Is it possible
that long term low flows has allowed debris to settle, partially blocking the
drain. It might be interesting to dump a couple 5 gallon buckets of water
quickly down the toilet and see if that helps.

Sounds good.

I can't think of any reason why old pipes would suddenly decide to shift position
unless there was water damage or an earthquake or something.

I can't imagine the pipes would be far from vertical unless the house
was falling over.

5 or 10 degrees isn't going to matter, even if it could happen.

Bob

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
nospambob

Think there was a post or two commenting that roots got into the drain
then water leaks eroded the soil underneath allowing the drain to drop
and cause subsequent problems. Had a plumber here recently for slow
sink drain and he insisted on sending his new camera down the mainline
for show & tell. Found a few small roots that we'll take care of with
the semiannual Root Kill flush.

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 02:41:15 -0500, mm
wrote:

I can't think of any reason why old pipes would suddenly decide to shift position
unless there was water damage or an earthquake or something.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:51:11 -0800, nospambob
wrote:

Think there was a post or two commenting that roots got into the drain
then water leaks eroded the soil underneath allowing the drain to drop
and cause subsequent problems. Had a plumber here recently for slow
sink drain and he insisted on sending his new camera down the mainline

If I had a new camera like that, I'd want to send it down every drain
I saw, and up every colon I came across.