Posted to alt.home.repair
boubou

Default water softner and brine

Getting a water softner installed and I am concerned about disposing of the
brine into the septic.
What are your "experience" with this brine in septic setup???
How about disposing of it elsewhere? what to do with it? in the dich?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

boubou wrote:
Getting a water softner installed and I am concerned about disposing
of the brine into the septic.
What are your "experience" with this brine in septic setup???
How about disposing of it elsewhere? what to do with it? in the dich?

Do you mean the effluent after recharging the softener? If so, it isn't
brine, it is a calcium compound. I just let mine run out on the ground.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
boubou

that's what they call it here, but yea, it's high salt concentration after
recharging the softner.

"dadiOH" wrote in message
boubou wrote:
Getting a water softner installed and I am concerned about disposing
of the brine into the septic.
What are your "experience" with this brine in septic setup???
How about disposing of it elsewhere? what to do with it? in the dich?

Do you mean the effluent after recharging the softener? If so, it isn't
brine, it is a calcium compound. I just let mine run out on the ground.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Slusser

Putting it on the ground is not a good idea, that pollutes the
groundwater and usually that should be considered as illegal in most
areas.

The best place is in the septic, although a small number of places have
a ban against that. The EPA has done research on this twice and it
shows no harm:

http://www.epa.gov/ord/NRMRL/pubs/62...8/html/fs3.htm
http://tinyurl.com/63bq7
http://wqa.org/sitelogic.cfm?ID=212

Gary
Quality Water Associates
www.qualitywaterassociates.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Adiabatic

On 8 Dec 2005 19:12:32 -0800, "Gary Slusser" wrote:

Putting it on the ground is not a good idea, that pollutes the
groundwater and usually that should be considered as illegal in most
areas.

How is that polluting groundwater? You can drink the discharge from a
water softner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MoM

And if you run it on the ground or in the ditch it will kill
grass and anything else growing there.

boubou wrote:
Getting a water softner installed and I am concerned
about disposing
of the brine into the septic.
What are your "experience" with this brine in septic
setup???
How about disposing of it elsewhere? what to do with it?
in the dich?

Do you mean the effluent after recharging the softener?
If so, it isn't
brine, it is a calcium compound. I just let mine run out
on the ground.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Especially if you have a dual-chamber septic, which most are, you
can use the septic. Plumb it into where the sinks go, not whre
the toilet goes.

HTH,
Pop

"boubou" wrote in message
: Getting a water softner installed and I am concerned about
disposing of the
: brine into the septic.
: What are your "experience" with this brine in septic setup???
: How about disposing of it elsewhere? what to do with it? in the
dich?
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Slusser

Yes and you can also drink any other type of liquid. But that doesn't
mean there's no problem with doing so. All I'm telling you is that in
most areas softener discharge onto/into the ground is considered as
pollutting the groundwater. I don't write the laws... I do know that no
one should want to increase the sodium and chlorides in their well
water; that is a real concern with softener discharge getting into the
groundwater/recovery water to a/their well.

Gary
Quality Water Associates
www.qualitywaterassociates.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Adiabatic

On 12 Dec 2005 08:23:48 -0800, "Gary Slusser"
wrote:

Yes and you can also drink any other type of liquid. But that doesn't
mean there's no problem with doing so. All I'm telling you is that in
most areas softener discharge onto/into the ground is considered as
pollutting the groundwater. I don't write the laws... I do know that no
one should want to increase the sodium and chlorides in their well
water; that is a real concern with softener discharge getting into the
groundwater/recovery water to a/their well.

You are missing the point, it's not contaminated water. If it goes
into a septic tank it doesn't magically dissapear there, It soaks into
the ground. Whats the difference?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Adiabatic" wrote in message

You are missing the point, it's not contaminated water. If it goes
into a septic tank it doesn't magically dissapear there, It soaks into
the ground. Whats the difference?

Chemical reaction in the septic system, containment of solids.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Slusser

The difference is that there is a minimum distance between the drain
field of an on-site septic system and the well on the same property and
from the property lines so as to allow a minimum distance to neighbors'
wells. Although I agree with you, that the sodium, chlorides etc. don't
settle out in the septic tank, the law in the vast majority of areas
says no to putting it on or in the ground; dry well or not.