Daniel Prince

Default Repairing a water softner

We have an eight year old Superior brand water softner that has
started leaking water and salt from somewhere around the bottom. We
have not yet determined where it is leaking.

It is a single tank model that has an electric clock that controls
when it regenerates. It is made mostly out of plastic. I could
send a picture to anyone who wants to see it.

How likely is it that this unit can be repaired economically? Thank
you in advance for all replies.
--
I just heard a TV commercial about an automobile that has a rear
entertainment system. I immediately wondered exactly how would an
Matt

Daniel Prince wrote:
We have an eight year old Superior brand water softner that has
started leaking water and salt from somewhere around the bottom. We
have not yet determined where it is leaking.

It is a single tank model that has an electric clock that controls
when it regenerates. It is made mostly out of plastic. I could
send a picture to anyone who wants to see it.

It sounds like it might just be a leak in the brine tank, so maybe you
just need to buy a new brine tank from your local dealer. You would
pull the mineral tank out of your brine tank and discard your brine
tank. A separate brine tank would take up more room but would hold more
salt. Or maybe you can find a brine tank inside of which you can put
your mineral tank, as in your current setup.

Your local man will probably try to sell you a whole new unit. If you
read up and know how a softener works and politely resist buying a new
one, probably you can fix it yourself or have somebody fix it for a
minimum labor charge.

How likely is it that this unit can be repaired economically? Thank
you in advance for all replies.

I'm guessing you can fix it for under $100.

A lot of softeners are rebranded units whose main components are built
by Autotrol, GE Osmonics, Fleck, and others. Start here to identify
your components:

http://softenerparts.zoovy.com/

You can also find some softener stuff on ebay.

I am not exactly an expert, but I was able to fix and overhaul my
34-year-old Autotrol.

Let us know what happens.
Daniel Prince

Matt wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote:
We have an eight year old Superior brand water softner that has
started leaking water and salt from somewhere around the bottom. We
have not yet determined where it is leaking.

It is a single tank model that has an electric clock that controls
when it regenerates. It is made mostly out of plastic. I could
send a picture to anyone who wants to see it.

It sounds like it might just be a leak in the brine tank, so maybe you
just need to buy a new brine tank from your local dealer. You would
pull the mineral tank out of your brine tank and discard your brine
tank.

Could we leave the mineral tank in the old brine tank and use a new
brine tank?

There is just one tube going from the timer to the brine tank that I
can see. Is this tube used to both put water in the brine tank and
take brine out of it (at different times)?

A separate brine tank would take up more room but would hold more
salt. Or maybe you can find a brine tank inside of which you can put
your mineral tank, as in your current setup.

Does the mineral tank have to be inside a tank or can it be put on
some kind of stand? It is rather tall and thin so I think it would
fall over too easily if it was not in a tank or on a stand.

--
I just heard a TV commercial about an automobile that has a rear
entertainment system. I immediately wondered exactly how would an
automobile entertain one's rear and would it be safe to drive while
one's rear was being entertained.
Matt

Daniel Prince wrote:
Matt wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote:

We have an eight year old Superior brand water softner that has
started leaking water and salt from somewhere around the bottom. We
have not yet determined where it is leaking.

It is a single tank model that has an electric clock that controls
when it regenerates. It is made mostly out of plastic. I could
send a picture to anyone who wants to see it.

It sounds like it might just be a leak in the brine tank, so maybe you
just need to buy a new brine tank from your local dealer. You would
pull the mineral tank out of your brine tank and discard your brine
tank.

Please note that my water softener experience is pretty limited ...

Could we leave the mineral tank in the old brine tank and use a new
brine tank?

I don't know why you couldn't.

There is just one tube going from the timer to the brine tank that I
can see. Is this tube used to both put water in the brine tank and
take brine out of it (at different times)?

That is the way it works with Autotrol 155 and 255. Water is put in the
brine tank during one of the the last steps of the cycle. Next cycle it
is sucked out of the brine tank by a venturi during the brining step.

A separate brine tank would take up more room but would hold more
salt. Or maybe you can find a brine tank inside of which you can put
your mineral tank, as in your current setup.

Does the mineral tank have to be inside a tank or can it be put on
some kind of stand? It is rather tall and thin so I think it would
fall over too easily if it was not in a tank or on a stand.

The mineral tank does not have to be inside a tank. Usually the pipes
are strong enough to keep it from getting knocked over. I believe the
bottom of the mineral tank usually is actually rounded but set inside a
cylindrical base that has a flat bottom.

Did you check the link I thoughtfully provided?

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Hot water recirculation [email protected] Home Repair 18 August 9th 04 05:32 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM