Posted to alt.home.repair
synergy3000

Default Need lighting suggestions

In the house we are moving into there are no ceiling lights in the
bedrooms. My 21 month old son loves to pull on cords and wires so
putting in a traditional lamp in his room won't work. What sort of
options are there for lighting? At least one of the electrical outlet
in each room is switched. I have seen wall mounted swing lamps at the
hardware stores that I was thinking may work. The lamp could be mounted
higher up and the cable to the switched outlet. What sort of means are
there to secure the wire on the wall? Some sort of cable channel or
similar. Any alternatives or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Greenberg

In article ,
synergy3000 wrote:
In the house we are moving into there are no ceiling lights in the
bedrooms. My 21 month old son loves to pull on cords and wires so
putting in a traditional lamp in his room won't work. What sort of
options are there for lighting? At least one of the electrical outlet
in each room is switched. I have seen wall mounted swing lamps at the
hardware stores that I was thinking may work. The lamp could be mounted
higher up and the cable to the switched outlet. What sort of means are
there to secure the wire on the wall? Some sort of cable channel or
similar. Any alternatives or suggestions would be appreciated.

What I would suggest is to turn the breaker off, open the box and remove
the outlet. Mount a wiremold extension box on top of it, and run some
wiremold channel up the wal as far as desired, then a box which gets the
outlet and plate and should be out of the childs reach. Either run some
14-2 romex or 3 seperate wires (one each black, white and green) up thru
the channel. Wirenut to the original wires and put a blank plate over
it. Recheck your wireing and turn the breaker back on.

Another possibility which is a bit simpler will only work if the feed to
the outlet/switch goes to the switch first. Replace the switch with a
combo switch and outlet, disconnect the original outlet, and wire the
switch to control the outlet. Would this put the cord high enough?

A third possibility would combine the first 2. Put the wiremold
extension box over the switch box and run the channel from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

The last thing I would go is give access to a 21 mo old baby to "pull"
on electric chains. Think about broken chains, switches, and falling or
loosening fixtures.

Get him a clapper, and quit babying him. Or baby him and get a remote
Luetron system.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"synergy3000" wrote in message
In the house we are moving into there are no ceiling lights in the
bedrooms. My 21 month old son loves to pull on cords and wires so
putting in a traditional lamp in his room won't work. What sort of
options are there for lighting? At least one of the electrical outlet
in each room is switched. I have seen wall mounted swing lamps at the
hardware stores that I was thinking may work. The lamp could be mounted
higher up and the cable to the switched outlet. What sort of means are
there to secure the wire on the wall? Some sort of cable channel or
similar. Any alternatives or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Solve the problem, teach the kid not to touch electrical appliances. It is
not that tough, mine learned.

The wiremold is a solution, hideous in my mind for a residence. And worse
when you move.

You can consider cutting in ceiling boxes and fishing wires down to the wall
switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RickR

SQLit wrote:
The wiremold is a solution, hideous in my mind for a residence. And worse
when you move.

You can consider cutting in ceiling boxes and fishing wires down to the wall
switch.

I agree!
And I have 2 older kids and lighting is my business.

Do yourself a favor and see about rewiring the room.
Look into:
1. Ceiling fan with LOTS of light. Depending on where you live they can
be from good, to wonderfull.
2. Track lighting - can be adjusted to suit the layout of the room as
he grows. It also sort of works like wiremold on the ceiling, so you
can get power from where ever is easyest and run it all over the room.
3. Indirect wall sconce - A VERY bright uplight (150 - 300W, wired in
of course) that can light the whole room. If right above the switch is
open to the rest of the room then you can slip a new wire up the wall
from the switch to the light, with an "old work" junction box.
( If none of this electrician talk makes sense the you should hire one!
)

Switched outlets in bedrooms are popular only for the contractors that
don't have to buy a light.

RickR

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 09:21:05 -0500, synergy3000
wrote:

In the house we are moving into there are no ceiling lights in the
bedrooms. My 21 month old son loves to pull on cords and wires so
putting in a traditional lamp in his room won't work. What sort of
options are there for lighting? At least one of the electrical outlet
in each room is switched. I have seen wall mounted swing lamps at the
hardware stores that I was thinking may work. The lamp could be mounted
higher up and the cable to the switched outlet. What sort of means are
there to secure the wire on the wall? Some sort of cable channel or
similar. Any alternatives or suggestions would be appreciated.

Put a large hunk of furniture in front of the swtiched outlet,
and stick a table-lamp on top of it.