Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

Default Freezer part of Kitchenaid refrigerator not freezing

We have a Kitchenaid Suberba refrigerator/freezer (side by side) that
we bought in 1992. I'm pretty sure it only has one compressor because
it has the standard freezer and refrigerator controls inside the
refrigerator side. Each control goes from 1-4 with 4 being the
coldest. The refrigerator control also has an Off position.

Since we bought it, both controls have been set at the little triangle
between 2 and 3.

Gradually, over the last few weeks, the ice cream, which we keep in
the door, started being a little too soft. The meat and other items in
the main compartment seem frozen solid.

About a week ago, I moved the freezer control to 3. After a few days,
when that didn't help, I moved it to 4. No change. The ice cream is
still too soft -- almost liquid.

I can't find the manual, but I seem to remember that the two controls
are relative -- that is, they change how much of the cooling goes to
each compartment. So I moved the refrigerator setting to a warmer
setting. I just did that, so I'll see what happens tomorrow.

I am woprried that the compressor is going out. But the refrigerator
sode is very cold and the main part of the freezer seems ok, too, so
maybe not.

Is there anything else I can do before I call a repairman?

Thanks

--
For email, use
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Maybe an ice blockage inside, thaw it out for 24 hours, does the fan
run, or are the sides always warm it could be stuck on defrost.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

LurfysMa wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Is there anything else I can do before I call a repairman?

Have you cleaned the condensor coils recently on this refrigerator?
http://www.applianceaid.com/clean_condenser.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

On 28 Nov 2005 04:44:51 -0800, "Appliance Repair Aid"
wrote:

LurfysMa wrote:
[...]

Yes, I cleaned them about 5-6 weeks ago. They weren't all that dirty.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Am I correct that with one-compressor units the two controls both
affect both compartments because the cooling takes place in the
freezer compartment first, then some of that cold air is blown over
into the refrigerator compartment?

That is, if I move the frig control to warmer it will make the freezer
compartment colder and vice versa?

--
For email, use
Posted to alt.home.repair
webmz

go to kitchenaid.com, and you can probably download the manual at no
charge

Posted to alt.home.repair
webmz

PS- cleaning the condensor coil usually helps but your fridge might
have the coils not in the back, but at the top, behind a grill which is
why I suggested downloading the manual for your model

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

LurfysMa wrote:
Hi,

Is there anything else I can do before I call a repairman?

Have you cleaned the condensor coils recently on this refrigerator?
http://www.applianceaid.com/clean_condenser.html

Yes, I cleaned them about 5-6 weeks ago. They weren't all that dirty.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Am I correct that with one-compressor units the two controls both
affect both compartments because the cooling takes place in the
freezer compartment first, then some of that cold air is blown over
into the refrigerator compartment?

That is, if I move the frig control to warmer it will make the freezer
compartment colder and vice versa?

G'day,

Am I correct that with one-compressor units the two controls both
affect both compartments because the cooling takes place in the
freezer compartment first, then some of that cold air is blown over
into the refrigerator compartment?

Slightly yes....one is a "real" cold control that cycles everything on
and off ( compressor, fans, etc ) and the other is an air damper.
Turning air damper slightly warmer will keep more air in the freezer
and a little less in the fresh food section.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/