jim

Default Refrigerator freezer knob stuck, wont turn

susan wrote:

We have a 10 yr old Hot Point. (21.7 no frost- side by side, water in door)
the A-E freezer knob is stuck on D it wont turn Any ideas??
Now here's the real problem the fridge part doesn't seem to be getting real
cold.
Whats the scoop...I have the fridge up all the way to 9...would it get colder
if I turned the freezer lower??
Our Calif weather has been a warm 85 lately and we dont open the fridge too often.
Ps I did clean the coils with a coil brush.
Thanks
Susan

in ojur whirlpool there are two knobs.. one that controls the
thermostat(opens and closes an electric thermostat, which lets the
compressor either work on not).. the other know is to control the air
flow from the freezer to the refrigherator part.. it is just a plastic
baffle that lets the cold air either stay in the freezer or go to the
refigerator... we put the older whirlpool in the garage and kept it
packed with softdrinks and bottled water... the refrigerator part was
ice cokd and the freezer part would let the ice cream melt (kinda
soggy).. i had to adjust the air flow baffle to keep more cold air
into the freezer and keep the refrigerator a little Not so cooler... it
worked.. ice cream hard, drinks still very cold, but not ice cold.....
i guess this might be your problem(adjust the air flow know, if its not
stuck in that position.. if you have to take any plastic parts loose in
the refrigerator use a hair dryer to warm it up so you dont break any
cold plastic trim parts... i found out the hard way and had to order
some parts when not waiting for it to heat up... cold plastic does not
bend easy.....
Art Begun

You might try cleaning the coils underneath and in back bottom to see
if it helps the cooling process. A vacuum cleaner will do a bit of
it. A narrow soft brush is better.

"susan" wrote in message
om...
We have a 10 yr old Hot Point. (21.7 no frost- side by side, water

in door)
the A-E freezer knob is stuck on D it wont turn Any ideas??
Now here's the real problem the fridge part doesn't seem to be

getting real
cold.
Whats the scoop...I have the fridge up all the way to 9...would it

get colder
if I turned the freezer lower??
Our Calif weather has been a warm 85 lately and we dont open the

fridge too often.
Ps I did clean the coils with a coil brush.
Thanks
Susan

TURTLE

"susan" wrote in message
om...
We have a 10 yr old Hot Point. (21.7 no frost- side by side, water in

door)
the A-E freezer knob is stuck on D it wont turn Any ideas??
Now here's the real problem the fridge part doesn't seem to be getting

real
cold.
Whats the scoop...I have the fridge up all the way to 9...would it get

colder
if I turned the freezer lower??
Our Calif weather has been a warm 85 lately and we dont open the fridge

too often.
Ps I did clean the coils with a coil brush.
Thanks
Susan

This is Turtle.

The temperature of "not real cold" does not show up on my thermometer that
I have. All I have is numbers on mine. You need to get a thermometer and get
a reading in number or degrees and post back. I'm not tring to funny but
just get to the bottom of the problem.

The knob your speaking of is the air door from the freezer to the
refigerator section. You should be ok by running on D but if you can break
it loose and set it on mid-scale on C you may help just a little.

Now get a temperature of the cooler section and the temp. of the freezer
section. Post this back and we can see about it.

Now this is a way to check a refrigerator when you don't know where to set
the controls at all. Turn all knobs to mid-scale and wait 24 hours. If you
can not maintain 34ºF to 39ºF in the cooler section and -5ºF to +5ºF in the
freezer section. You have a problem but "not real cold ºF " does not seem
to be a good temperature.

Now here is me just guessing here and with not looking at it at all. You
usely see a stuck condenser fan motor or system low on freon out of the 10
year old G/E awww I mean Hot Point.

Give us some temperature to go by.

TURTLE

David Martel

Susan,

Empty your fridge and let it defrost. Now try turning the stuck knob. If
it's still stuck try using a pair of pliers to gently turn the knob. If it's
still stuck then start disassembling the fridge or call a repair guy.
Others have discussed the damper and thermostat already. I would
recommend that you buy a fridge thermometer to set the controls of your
fridge.

Dave M.
om...