Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Putting expanding foam into electrical outlet

Will this hurt if put in a metal outlet to make it water proof
temprarely for a Christmas light extension cord?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PDQ

Use the stuff intended for windows and doors. It is easier to get out.

--
PDQ

--
wrote in message ups.com...
| Will this hurt if put in a metal outlet to make it water proof
| temprarely for a Christmas light extension cord?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

wrote in message
ups.com...
Will this hurt if put in a metal outlet to make it water proof
temprarely for a Christmas light extension cord?

If there is a short or partial short, the heat will not escape as easily and
you are that much more likely to reach ignition temp. Furthermore, if a
fire does start, you have filled the electrical box with fuel to get it
going better. Expanding foam is not a rated electrical insulator, its
performance at preventing electrical leakage is unknown.

What is a metal outlet? Do you mean a cord with a metal J-box attached to
the end with a couple of receptacles installed. Probably OK "as is" if not
submerged and properly assembled (grounded) but it's not the best solution,
just buy a real cord instead. #14 gague light duty should be enough

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...
:
: wrote in message
: ups.com...
[...]
Even better, add a plug-in GFI; I use them on our lights. I use
elecrical tape to seal the plug/receptacles outdoors & don't let
them lay directly on the ground. .

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
Will this hurt if put in a metal outlet to make it water proof
temprarely for a Christmas light extension cord?

Buy or make a waterproof box the right way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess that is what I am trying to do. To buy a box was too expensive
I got some regular one dollar metal boxes and was wanting to make them
waterproof with the sealer but was not sure about the electrical
conductivity. I guess I could use the plastic bag idea with the trash
bag. WOuld this work ok? What I am trying to do is using my 100 foot
extension ord add an outlet box to about 6 trees I put christmas lights
in. The extension cord will be plugged into a GFI outlet in my garage.
Just wanted the boxes to be somehow as water tight as possibel if it
rained. I would not put the outlets directly on the ground. These would
be just ran for a few hours at night.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Will this hurt if put in a metal outlet to make it water proof
temprarely for a Christmas light extension cord?

Buy or make a waterproof box the right way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can I take my metal box and mig weld in all the holes where it could
leak?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

On 17 Nov 2005 10:03:29 -0800, wrote:

I am trying to add several outlets along the power cords's lenght. (For
each tree)

I just saw these this morning in their new catalog and wondered what
in heck anyone would want that setup for--
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,240,41065

25' cord with 2 or 3 [14ga & 12ga cords] outlets along the length of
them. The writeup talks about use in a shop but it closes with;
"Usable indoors or out."

Jim