Harry Bloomfield

Default Expanding foam weather/water proof?

Hi,

I've never used the stuff, so I don't really know its properties.

We had new plastic guttering/fall pipes installed ome years ago. People
next door (other half of semi) have just had square section system put
in, which does not match up with ours. Our round fall pipes have been
removed and now replaced with square, without a 'would you mind if...'.

Our half round gutters obviously do not fit the square T at the top of
the fall pipe, so the installers instead of obtaining an adaptor, just
stuck it in with expanding foam.

The question is, is this adeqaute, or can we expect deterioration and
problems later? I suspect the later.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

shaun

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Hi,

I've never used the stuff, so I don't really know its properties.

We had new plastic guttering/fall pipes installed ome years ago.
People next door (other half of semi) have just had square section
system put in, which does not match up with ours. Our round fall
pipes have been removed and now replaced with square, without a
'would you mind if...'.

Our half round gutters obviously do not fit the square T at the top of
the fall pipe, so the installers instead of obtaining an adaptor, just
stuck it in with expanding foam.

The question is, is this adeqaute, or can we expect deterioration and
problems later? I suspect the later.

Unless they have applied some kind of coating then certainly the latter. The
stuff doesn't like exposure to the sun at all.

Harry Bloomfield

shaun presented the following explanation :
Unless they have applied some kind of coating then certainly the latter. The
stuff doesn't like exposure to the sun at all.

From the ground, they do not seem to have done and the joint is not
even filled up with the stuff.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Steve Walker

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
shaun presented the following explanation :
Unless they have applied some kind of coating then certainly the
latter. The stuff doesn't like exposure to the sun at all.

From the ground, they do not seem to have done and the joint is
not even filled up with the stuff.

It will start yellowing & crumbling within 12m, if in direct light. Paint
over with black mastic would do for a good while, but for a paid job I'd
expect a proper connector.

John Rumm

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I've never used the stuff, so I don't really know its properties.

Good in the right places...

Our half round gutters obviously do not fit the square T at the top of
the fall pipe, so the installers instead of obtaining an adaptor, just
stuck it in with expanding foam.

And this is not one of them!

The question is, is this adeqaute, or can we expect deterioration and
problems later? I suspect the later.

Nope it is a total bodge (the foam breaks down with UV exposure and is
not totally waterproof to start with). Get the neighbour to have em back
to do it with the correct connector!

--
Cheers,

John.

Harry Bloomfield

John Rumm explained on 05/09/2005 :
Nope it is a total bodge (the foam breaks down with UV exposure and is not
totally waterproof to start with). Get the neighbour to have em back to do it
with the correct connector!

It certainly looks like a bodge. I just wanted a second opinion on
this.

Thanks all.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 00:36:52 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I've never used the stuff, so I don't really know its properties.

Good in the right places...

Our half round gutters obviously do not fit the square T at the top of
the fall pipe, so the installers instead of obtaining an adaptor, just
stuck it in with expanding foam.

And this is not one of them!

The question is, is this adeqaute, or can we expect deterioration and
problems later? I suspect the later.

Nope it is a total bodge (the foam breaks down with UV exposure and is
not totally waterproof to start with). Get the neighbour to have em back
to do it with the correct connector!

I may well be wrong but I have not seen connectors for adapting different
rainwater systems.

Ideally, a semi needs to have the guttering replaced as an entire
building. If that were not possible then the installers should have said
that because it's one building they could only replace the guttering with
the same stuff as yours.

John Rumm

Ed Sirett wrote:

I may well be wrong but I have not seen connectors for adapting different
rainwater systems.

You can certainly get round (and ogee) section to square section
adaptors. My neighbour had his steel ogee gutters replaced a few years
ago with PVC square section. Must admit I did not pay much attention at
the time, but when I replaced my guttering recently I found two such
connectors joining the old to the new.

--
Cheers,

John.

Ian_m

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Hi,

I've never used the stuff, so I don't really know its properties.

We had new plastic guttering/fall pipes installed ome years ago. People
next door (other half of semi) have just had square section system put in,
which does not match up with ours. Our round fall pipes have been removed
and now replaced with square, without a 'would you mind if...'.

Our half round gutters obviously do not fit the square T at the top of the
fall pipe, so the installers instead of obtaining an adaptor, just stuck
it in with expanding foam.

The question is, is this adeqaute, or can we expect deterioration and
problems later? I suspect the later.

Yip it does not like sunlight. The escaped blobs of the stuff near my
soffits went from blue to brown in a couple of months and when I finally
went up to clear up, the brown stuff just powedered in my hands. So not
really any good outside in the light.

shaun

Ed Sirett wrote:

I may well be wrong but I have not seen connectors for adapting
different rainwater systems.

They are available (one supplier below):

http://www.roplas.co.uk/list.asp?id=...%20-&pagePos=2

Ed Sirett wrote:
I may well be wrong but I have not seen connectors for adapting different
rainwater systems.

I forget the name of the company but at one of these self build shows
there was a company that produced guttering and the guy there told me
they could supply various adaptors from their new gutters to connect to
other makes, new and obsolete.

Can I use expanding foam filler with Kingspan? David Pearson UK diy 7 August 19th 05 08:14 PM
Expanding foam and UV Pecanfan UK diy 12 January 19th 05 10:21 PM
fireproof expanding foam John Kelly UK diy 3 January 16th 05 12:07 PM
MDPE & Expanding Foam Rick Hughes UK diy 5 October 24th 03 12:30 AM
Screwfix gun grade expanding foam James Hart UK diy 1 August 11th 03 03:01 PM