David Pearson

Default Can I use expanding foam filler with Kingspan?

My Kingspanned ceiling has a gap or two (or a hundred), which
I could fill up nicely with expanding foam filler. Can anyone tell
me if it reacts with the Kingspan? I am worried that the solvent
in the filler might melt the Kingspan foam.

Thanks,
Original Poster.

VisionSet

"David Pearson" wrote in message

My Kingspanned ceiling has a gap or two (or a hundred), which
I could fill up nicely with expanding foam filler. Can anyone tell
me if it reacts with the Kingspan? I am worried that the solvent
in the filler might melt the Kingspan foam.

AFAIK, the release of the urethane foam from the can starts the
polymerisation reaction which is not reversible. The polyurethane foam
produced should be virtually identical to kingspan. I think KS is all PU.
So yes you should be okay.

--
Mike W

Andy Hall

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:30:12 +0000 (UTC), "David Pearson"
wrote:

My Kingspanned ceiling has a gap or two (or a hundred), which
I could fill up nicely with expanding foam filler. Can anyone tell
me if it reacts with the Kingspan? I am worried that the solvent
in the filler might melt the Kingspan foam.

Thanks,
Original Poster.

It works fine. I did this in a couple of places when insulating my
workshop.

I taped over the gaps using the foil tape leaving a small hole for the
nozzle of the can at one end and another at the other to allow air to
escape.

A *small* squirt and job done. I do mean small though. Read the
Peter Parry canoe story in the FAQ.

Also, do wear gloves as this stuff sticks to the fingers for days.

For a ceiling, definitely cover the floor.

Once cured, you can remove excess from the surface with a utility
knife and tape over it if you want.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:17:37 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

Also, do wear gloves as this stuff sticks to the fingers for days.

Stickier than extremely sticky stuff. How ever if you get to it with
vegetable oil whilst still fresh you can get most of it off. I wonder
if a thin smear of veg oil would act as a release agent and stop you
getting sticky in the first place?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Tim Morley

wrote:

My Kingspanned ceiling has a gap or two (or a hundred), which
I could fill up nicely with expanding foam filler. Can anyone tell
me if it reacts with the Kingspan? I am worried that the solvent
in the filler might melt the Kingspan foam.

Thanks,
Original Poster.

It works fine. I did this in a couple of places when insulating my
workshop.

I taped over the gaps using the foil tape leaving a small hole for the
nozzle of the can at one end and another at the other to allow air to
escape.

A *small* squirt and job done. I do mean small though. Read the
Peter Parry canoe story in the FAQ.

Where can I find the faq ??

Andy Hall

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:34:25 GMT, "Tim Morley" tim.morley*REMOVE
wrote:

.. .

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/humour.html#foam

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Rick

wrote:

My Kingspanned ceiling has a gap or two (or a hundred), which
I could fill up nicely with expanding foam filler. Can anyone tell
me if it reacts with the Kingspan? I am worried that the solvent
in the filler might melt the Kingspan foam.

Thanks,
Original Poster.

You can buy HUGE cans with long pipes to ease the cost and effort of
installation. This is what I intend to use. google for "spray foam"

Rick

David Pearson

wrote:

My Kingspanned ceiling has a gap or two (or a hundred), which
I could fill up nicely with expanding foam filler. Can anyone tell
me if it reacts with the Kingspan? I am worried that the solvent
in the filler might melt the Kingspan foam.

It works fine. I did this in a couple of places when insulating my
workshop.

Thanks Andy, and everyone else who replied.

Also, do wear gloves as this stuff sticks to the fingers for days.

I have used it before for a different job. A blob fell in my
hair, and I thought "was was that" as I reached up and
rubbed it around my head a bit. Bad move!

-DP.

Expanding foam and UV Pecanfan UK diy 12 January 19th 05 10:21 PM
fireproof expanding foam John Kelly UK diy 3 January 16th 05 12:07 PM
Urethane foam - any differences in Rob Patrick Home Repair 4 March 7th 04 04:03 AM
MDPE & Expanding Foam Rick Hughes UK diy 5 October 24th 03 12:30 AM
Screwfix gun grade expanding foam James Hart UK diy 1 August 11th 03 03:01 PM