Heathcliff

Default how to break up block of concrete

Yesterday as I was digging a fence post hole I hit an obstacle about a
foot down, and ultimately dug out a big blob of concrete. Looks like
it was how some previous owner set a fence post. It's an 18-inch
diameter blob (roughly spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6
inch) hole in the top. This thing is way too heavy to put out with the
trash. So, how do I break it up for disposal? (After digging this
thing out of the ground, believe me I have already thought about the
pack-the-hole-with-dynamite option, but don't think that would conform
to local ordinances.) -- H

louie

I've found that a decent sized sledge hammer works well (wear your
safety glasses!)

If you're not looking to suplement your weekly workout in this manner,
you could rent/borrow a small hammer drill with a spade bit and chop it
up that way.

If you live in a cold climate, you could do some science experiments
with water poured into the hole and allowed to freeze, and maybe
alternating hot/cold to thermally stress it. These methods will take
some time, but could be interesting to try out if you're into that sort
of thing.

The Reverend Natural Light

You've already removed it from the ground? Why not just bury it
somewhere else?

-rev

Guy 1:
What's the hole for?
Guy 2:
So I have someplace to put the dirt from this other hole...

Dave

Heathcliff wrote:
It's an 18-inch
diameter blob (roughly spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6
inch) hole in the top. This thing is way too heavy to put out with the
trash. So, how do I break it up for disposal?

Around here, our trash collectors won't take any concrete.
Call the city garage. That's what I did when I had to dispose of
concrete from an old sidewalk. They didn't charge me a dime either.
I just used a sledge-hammer to break it up. Not sure how well that'd
work in your situation, though.

-Felder

Todd H.

"Heathcliff" writes:

Yesterday as I was digging a fence post hole I hit an obstacle about a
foot down, and ultimately dug out a big blob of concrete. Looks like
it was how some previous owner set a fence post. It's an 18-inch
diameter blob (roughly spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6
inch) hole in the top. This thing is way too heavy to put out with the
trash. So, how do I break it up for disposal? (After digging this
thing out of the ground, believe me I have already thought about the
pack-the-hole-with-dynamite option, but don't think that would conform
to local ordinances.) -- H

A big sledge will get er done. Eye protection, jeans and long sleeves
are a must.

If you stay at home on garbage day and have it in chunks small enough
to be lifted safely, a generous tip to your refuse collector tends to
make it disappear.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
fish

I recently bought a 16# sledge from home depot for smashing an old
sidewalk, it worked well. i put a little muscle into it but for the
most part i let the hammer do most of the work.

Fish

Todd H. wrote:

"Heathcliff" writes:

Yesterday as I was digging a fence post hole I hit an obstacle about a
foot down, and ultimately dug out a big blob of concrete. Looks like
it was how some previous owner set a fence post. It's an 18-inch
diameter blob (roughly spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6
inch) hole in the top. This thing is way too heavy to put out with the
trash. So, how do I break it up for disposal?

A big sledge will get er done...

I've been trying to break up a 30 gal drumful of concrete with a big sledge
for a few days. Each humongous blow dislodges a teaspoon of concrete. Where
can I buy a "plug and feathers" aka "rock jack" or some expanding powder?

Nick

mm

wrote:

Yesterday as I was digging a fence post hole I hit an obstacle about a
foot down, and ultimately dug out a big blob of concrete. Looks like
it was how some previous owner set a fence post. It's an 18-inch
diameter blob (roughly spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6
inch) hole in the top. This thing is way too heavy to put out with the
trash. So, how do I break it up for disposal? (After digging this
thing out of the ground, believe me I have already thought about the
pack-the-hole-with-dynamite option, but don't think that would conform
to local ordinances.) -- H

It's easy to break it up. Take it to the roof of a 5-story building,
and throw it off.

Or you could rent an electric jack-hammer. That might be overkill,
but it's better than no plan. A contractor next door let me use his
jack-hammer. It was surprisingly easy. The hard part was lifting it
back up after it went through the sidewalk. The handles were as high
as my shoulders, so that made it worse. I'm 5'8". I felt like I had
a workout after only 3 or 4 minutes. But you'll have 4 hours. Wear
goggles.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

SteveB

"Heathcliff" writes:

Yesterday as I was digging a fence post hole I hit an obstacle about a
foot down, and ultimately dug out a big blob of concrete. Looks like
it was how some previous owner set a fence post. It's an 18-inch
diameter blob (roughly spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6
inch) hole in the top. This thing is way too heavy to put out with the
trash. So, how do I dispose of it?

Save on energy, effort and band aids. Throw a chain on it, pull it out, and
take it in one piece to the local landfill or 7-11 dumpster.

Steve, who's done it more than once.

ronm

throwing it into a dumpster is stealing. Someone has to pay to get that
removed , probabley has to pay by weight. So the extra cost has to come from
someones pocket. Same as stealing his money.

"SteveB" wrote in message
"Heathcliff" writes:

Yesterday as I was digging a fence post hole I hit an obstacle about a
foot down, and ultimately dug out a big blob of concrete. Looks like
it was how some previous owner set a fence post. It's an 18-inch
diameter blob (roughly spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6
inch) hole in the top. This thing is way too heavy to put out with the
trash. So, how do I dispose of it?

Save on energy, effort and band aids. Throw a chain on it, pull it out,
and take it in one piece to the local landfill or 7-11 dumpster.

Steve, who's done it more than once.

Harry K

fish wrote:
I recently bought a 16# sledge from home depot for smashing an old
sidewalk, it worked well. i put a little muscle into it but for the
most part i let the hammer do most of the work.

Fish

Yes! That is the right way to break up concrete. Full force, round
house blows are great for building muscle mass but are wasted effort.
What does it are repeated moderate blows in the same spot (or in a line
if breaking a slab). At the start it will 'ring' with each blow then
after repeated blows "thud" . The block or slab has cracked.

Harry K

DAC

I believe your looking for Feathers and Wedges?

Check Miles Supply http://www.milessupply.com/drilling.htm bottom of
the page.

Darwin

Rich Greenberg

In article . com,
The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
You've already removed it from the ground? Why not just bury it
somewhere else?

Good idea, that will also give you dirt to fill the original hole.

Goedjn

Yesterday as I was digging a fence post hole I hit an obstacle about a
foot down, and ultimately dug out a big blob of concrete. Looks like
it was how some previous owner set a fence post. It's an 18-inch
diameter blob (roughly spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6
inch) hole in the top. This thing is way too heavy to put out with the
trash. So, how do I break it up for disposal? (After digging this
thing out of the ground, believe me I have already thought about the
pack-the-hole-with-dynamite option, but don't think that would conform
to local ordinances.) -- H

Just dig a deeper hole next to it, and push it in.

Joe Fabeitz wrote:
Use all your remaining energy to call "Got Junk" (1-800-gotjunk). They'll
haul away almost anything. Well worth the cost.
"Heathcliff" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yesterday as I was digging a fence post hole I hit an obstacle about a
foot down, and ultimately dug out a big blob of concrete. Looks like
it was how some previous owner set a fence post. It's an 18-inch
diameter blob (roughly spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6
inch) hole in the top. This thing is way too heavy to put out with the
trash. So, how do I break it up for disposal? (After digging this
thing out of the ground, believe me I have already thought about the
pack-the-hole-with-dynamite option, but don't think that would conform
to local ordinances.) -- H

Sell it to a boat owner as an anchor.

dean

Could try heating it with one of those propane flame throwers (used for
roofing), heat the hell out of it, and then throw a bucket of cold
water over it. See what happens. You might want to stand behind
something solid when you do this.

dean wrote:
Could try heating it with one of those propane flame throwers (used for
roofing), heat the hell out of it, and then throw a bucket of cold
water over it. See what happens. You might want to stand behind
something solid when you do this.

I'd slip it into the oatmeal in the cafeteria at work, where it would
go unnoticed.

ameijers

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

dean wrote:
Could try heating it with one of those propane flame throwers (used for
roofing), heat the hell out of it, and then throw a bucket of cold
water over it. See what happens. You might want to stand behind
something solid when you do this.

I'd slip it into the oatmeal in the cafeteria at work, where it would
go unnoticed.

20 different posts here, and only 2 got it right- for one chunk of concrete,
the correct choice is bury it and forget it. Any extra dirt can be flung
over the lawn, and will vanish with the next rain. Suprised it was a sphere-
usually it is a pancake with a hole through the middle. I usually can punch
out the old hole with a sledge, and just set the new post right where the
old one was.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

ameijers wrote:
"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

dean wrote:
Could try heating it with one of those propane flame throwers (used for
roofing), heat the hell out of it, and then throw a bucket of cold
water over it. See what happens. You might want to stand behind
something solid when you do this.

I'd slip it into the oatmeal in the cafeteria at work, where it would
go unnoticed.

20 different posts here, and only 2 got it right- for one chunk of concrete,
the correct choice is bury it and forget it. Any extra dirt can be flung
over the lawn, and will vanish with the next rain. Suprised it was a sphere-
usually it is a pancake with a hole through the middle. I usually can punch
out the old hole with a sledge, and just set the new post right where the
old one was.

aem sends...

Q: What's the difference between an 18-inch diameter blob (roughly
spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6 inch) hole in the top
and a fruitcake?

A: Given enough time, you could eat an 18-inch diameter blob (roughly
spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6 inch) hole in the top.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Heathcliff wrote:
Yesterday as I was digging a fence post hole I hit an obstacle about a
foot down, and ultimately dug out a big blob of concrete. Looks like
it was how some previous owner set a fence post. It's an 18-inch
diameter blob (roughly spherical) of concrete with a shallow (maybe 6
inch) hole in the top. This thing is way too heavy to put out with
the trash. So, how do I break it up for disposal? (After digging
this thing out of the ground, believe me I have already thought about
the pack-the-hole-with-dynamite option, but don't think that would
conform to local ordinances.) -- H

Suggestions for the blob:

1. Put out by curb on garbage day, topped with a chilled six-pack.
2. Leave in schoolyard in about two weeks (during dark of moon). Dilbert's
boss did that with an old refrigerator.
3. Clean. Paint green. Place on city hall lawn with plaque: "Honoring the
citizens of (town name here) who gave their lives during the great war,
1914-1919."