MF

Default Now to break up concrete?

OK, I'll rephrase my earlier request (feather and plug).
Any suggestions on how to break up (to remove) a chunk of concrete approx
5'x4'x2' ?
It's quit hard, having cured at the water's edge, semisubmerged.

Sledge hammer didn't make a dent.

What to do??

TIA

Joseph Meehan

MF wrote:
OK, I'll rephrase my earlier request (feather and plug).
Any suggestions on how to break up (to remove) a chunk of concrete
approx 5'x4'x2' ?
It's quit hard, having cured at the water's edge, semisubmerged.

Sledge hammer didn't make a dent.

What to do??

TIA

I had one once about 5'x4'x4' and I ended up digging a big hole beside
it and rolling it in. I often wondered if anyone every ended up digging it
up and wondering why it was there. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Duane Bozarth

Punch wrote:

"MF" wrote in message
OK, I'll rephrase my earlier request (feather and plug).
Any suggestions on how to break up (to remove) a chunk of concrete approx
5'x4'x2' ?
It's quit hard, having cured at the water's edge, semisubmerged.

Sledge hammer didn't make a dent.

What to do??

TIA

jack hammer will make short work of this job.

Yep, except he then has to get rid of the debris somewhere.
TURTLE

"MF" wrote in message
OK, I'll rephrase my earlier request (feather and plug).
Any suggestions on how to break up (to remove) a chunk of concrete approx
5'x4'x2' ?
It's quit hard, having cured at the water's edge, semisubmerged.

Sledge hammer didn't make a dent.

What to do??

TIA

This is Turtle.

well son , You just made a Rock or Bolder and you have to treat it as a big rock
you made. Dig a hole and roll it in it or tie a chain around it and drag it out
to the country side and put it up as a land boundery marker or a tribute to
yourself as a life long thing to remine you to not make anymore mistates like it
ever again.

i just thought about this as you said at the waters edge. If it is a river or
lake it is near , you can just tie it on to a boat and pull it out to deep water
and let go of it.

TURTLE

User Example

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Punch wrote:

"MF" wrote in message

OK, I'll rephrase my earlier request (feather and plug).
Any suggestions on how to break up (to remove) a chunk of concrete approx
5'x4'x2' ?
It's quit hard, having cured at the water's edge, semisubmerged.

Sledge hammer didn't make a dent.

What to do??

TIA

jack hammer will make short work of this job.

Yep, except he then has to get rid of the debris somewhere.

Rent a tractor and drag it to some parking lot at night and leave it.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:13:17 -0500 "Punch"
posted:

"MF" wrote in message
OK, I'll rephrase my earlier request (feather and plug).
Any suggestions on how to break up (to remove) a chunk of concrete approx
5'x4'x2' ?
It's quit hard, having cured at the water's edge, semisubmerged.

Sledge hammer didn't make a dent.

What to do??

TIA

jack hammer will make short work of this job.

That was my idea. The professional but uninsured guy doing
sidewalks next door let me use his, and it wasn't difficult. I'm not
very strong either. Usually when it was stuck I could pull it out,
but a couple times the handle was even with my shoulders and it was
hard to pull higher than my shoulders. I'm 5'8". I think electric
jack hammers are shorter though. 4 minutes of this was enough to make
me tired. (I"m 58, also.)

I'd rent the thing for a half day, and work on it for 5 minutes every
hour or half hour, allowing time to recuperate. I didn't keep track,
but I guess I did 2 to 4 square feet in 2 to 4 minutes.

Maybe there are other things you can do for the same rental. Dig your
garden?

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Toller

I haven't any idea how to break it up; but what is a hunk of concrete that
big for?

RicodJour

MF wrote:
OK, I'll rephrase my earlier request (feather and plug).
Any suggestions on how to break up (to remove) a chunk of concrete approx
5'x4'x2' ?
It's quit hard, having cured at the water's edge, semisubmerged.

Sledge hammer didn't make a dent.

What to do??

Don't start a new thread on the same topic, for starters.

EagleMtn

Save it for your grave marker. Seriously.

User Example

"MF" wrote in message

[...]

I rented an electric jack hammer one day. I vowed to never use one
again. Those things are back breakers if you aren't used to using them.
willshak

On 9/8/2005 9:17 PM US(ET), Duane Bozarth took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

Punch wrote:

"MF" wrote in message

OK, I'll rephrase my earlier request (feather and plug).
Any suggestions on how to break up (to remove) a chunk of concrete approx
5'x4'x2' ?
It's quit hard, having cured at the water's edge, semisubmerged.

Sledge hammer didn't make a dent.

What to do??

TIA

jack hammer will make short work of this job.

Yep, except he then has to get rid of the debris somewhere.

He wanted to break up the concrete block to get rid of it. I would think
that he has considered where to take, or put the debris already.

--
Bill
willshak

On 9/8/2005 11:40 PM US(ET), Toller took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

I haven't any idea how to break it up; but what is a hunk of concrete that
big for?

Next to water, it could have been for a boat mooring.

--
Bill
Ranieri

"TURTLE" wrote in message news:7D5Ue.8687

i just thought about this as you said at the waters edge. If it is a river

or
lake it is near , you can just tie it on to a boat and pull it out to deep

water
and let go of it.

At 150 lbs per cu ft, I'd guess that thing weighs in at around 3 tons. The
'pull it out to deep water in a boat' idea has America's Funniest Home
Videos written all over it.

Duane Bozarth

User Example wrote:
Rent a tractor and drag it to some parking lot at night and leave it.

Don't even think such thoughts...the stuff I've had to pick up and haul
off from the road ditches and fields from such folks...

And, of course, the "except" had no place in the other post as however
it's done, there's a fairly sizable amount of stuff.

TURTLE

"Ranieri" uh, nah wrote in message ...

"TURTLE" wrote in message news:7D5Ue.8687

i just thought about this as you said at the waters edge. If it is a river

or
lake it is near , you can just tie it on to a boat and pull it out to deep

water
and let go of it.

At 150 lbs per cu ft, I'd guess that thing weighs in at around 3 tons. The
'pull it out to deep water in a boat' idea has America's Funniest Home
Videos written all over it.

This is Turtle.

I did not say pick it up but drag it. You say 3 tons is a too big of a weight to
drag into the water. A New Cadillac is just about 3 tons. you then get a 150
horse power bass boat or even one of the 225 h.p. bass boats and tie on to it.
You can drag the block of concrete or the Cadillac around all day in the lake
till it jams between the tree or log jam. If you have ever seen what these 225
H.P. Bass boats can pull you would not say what you just said.

TURTLE

Sherman

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:04:34 -0700, "MF" wrote:

OK, I'll rephrase my earlier request (feather and plug).
Any suggestions on how to break up (to remove) a chunk of concrete approx
5'x4'x2' ?
It's quit hard, having cured at the water's edge, semisubmerged.

Sledge hammer didn't make a dent.

What to do??

TIA

Actually the sledge hammer DID make a dent.

The only problem is that you stopped before you finished the job.

You could drill some holes in it and put in some M-80's and probbaly
crack it into some smaller more managebly sized pieces. Try cutting it
(even only part way through) and then hit it with the sledgehammer
again. The cuts might weaken it enough to break.

Ranieri

"TURTLE" wrote in message

[...]

You can drag a 3 ton slab of concrete around a lake bed all day with a bass
boat? Wow. I had no idea.

Amun

"TURTLE" wrote in message

[...]

Actually I'm just wondering how he knows ANY boat can drag a caddy around a
lake bottom all day g

AMUN

Amun

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Punch wrote:

"MF" wrote in message
OK, I'll rephrase my earlier request (feather and plug).
Any suggestions on how to break up (to remove) a chunk of concrete

approx
5'x4'x2' ?
It's quit hard, having cured at the water's edge, semisubmerged.

Sledge hammer didn't make a dent.

What to do??

TIA

jack hammer will make short work of this job.

Yep, except he then has to get rid of the debris somewhere.

Depending on how long you go at it, there may be nothing but beach sand
left.

AMUN

Goedjn

You can drag a 3 ton slab of concrete around a lake bed all day with a bass
boat? Wow. I had no idea.

Actually, maybe. Depending on where and how the tow-chain was hooked
up, and what kind of prop you've got. And what the bottom is.

TURTLE

"Goedjn" wrote in message

You can drag a 3 ton slab of concrete around a lake bed all day with a bass
boat? Wow. I had no idea.

Actually, maybe. Depending on where and how the tow-chain was hooked
up, and what kind of prop you've got. And what the bottom is.

This is Turtle.

sand bottom , 20 feet of water, extra long motor shaft to draw motor water for
power, 225 H.P. Evinruide / Johnson with 4 blade power propt. and not speed
propt.. then hook up to front axle and drag forward. You can make it Ski behind
this boat.

I had a friend that bought 3 flate bed ford 350 trucks old and eat up with rust
and he drug them out in Toledo Bend Lake in Louisiana / Texas and he drug them
around like nothing with his 200 H.P. bass boat. He put them all in one place to
make a White Perch Hole. that 200 H.P. motor will pull more that anyone would
think and he never open the motor up to pull the load for about 1/2 throttle was
all he used. If I would not have seen it myself i would not have believed it
myself.

TURTLE

TURTLE

keith

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:20:39 -0500, TURTLE wrote:

[...]

It thought 3 tons should make a damned nice anchor for a bass boat. I
expect there's gonna be a lot of froth in the water.

--
Keith

TURTLE

Ranieri

"TURTLE" wrote in message
"Goedjn" wrote in message

[...]

Here's your problem, TURTLE... an old Ford truck or a new caddy is going to
displace a lot more water than a slab of concrete. And the vehicle will be
buoyed by the equilvalent weight of displaced water...Archimedes, I
think...sooo,,,,I reckon you should justy cut your losses here and figure a
bass boat ain't gonna pull a 3 ton slab of rock around a lake bed.

Nuff said on that one.

Straw Bales as Concrete Void Form for Garage Floor Wpg Man Home Repair 18 June 12th 21 08:25 PM
At what temperature does concrete stop curing? Jeff Home Repair 2 November 27th 04 12:31 AM
How much concrete do I need? orangetrader Home Repair 8 November 4th 04 12:55 PM
Acid vs. concrete. Cafe1 Home Repair 17 May 13th 04 02:39 AM
Concrete slab advice John UK diy 12 July 11th 03 10:55 AM