JerryL

Default Barrel Tile Roof

Hurricane Wilma did quite a job on barrel tile roofs, including mine. It
ripped off about 15 to 20 tiles. According to officials it might take up to
a year to get people and tiles to make repairs to everyone's roof. The Corp
of Engineers will not install blue tarps on these roofs. My house if 6 years
old and I know that the roof was hot-tarred and papered before the barrel
tiles were installed. Does it sound like I might have leakage problems? It
didn't leak during the hurricane and it's pouring right now and not leaking.
Will the underlayment hold till I can get someone to repair the roof?

SQLit

"JerryL" wrote in message
Hurricane Wilma did quite a job on barrel tile roofs, including mine. It
ripped off about 15 to 20 tiles. According to officials it might take up

a year to get people and tiles to make repairs to everyone's roof. The

Corp
of Engineers will not install blue tarps on these roofs. My house if 6

years
old and I know that the roof was hot-tarred and papered before the barrel
tiles were installed. Does it sound like I might have leakage problems? It
didn't leak during the hurricane and it's pouring right now and not

leaking.
Will the underlayment hold till I can get someone to repair the roof?

I live in Arizona and hot mopping IS NOT DONE under a tile roofs.
The tile prevents the sun and a lot of the water from the membrane that is
the actual water proofing part of the roof. Exposure to the sun and weather
would be a concern over time.
Your real question which only someone who has seen your installation can
answer "How long before the roof is leaking?"
I would be consulting someone local. The contractor that did your home would
be a really good place to start.

JerryL

"SQLit" wrote in message

"JerryL" wrote in message
[...]

Well, in South Florida they hot mop the roof. As for getting a contractor to
examine the roof, they are giving appointments for 6 months from now just to
examine the roof.

SQLit

"JerryL" wrote in message

"SQLit" wrote in message

"JerryL" wrote in message
[...]

I was inferring the find the contractor that did your house. The contractor
of record should be able to answer the question over the phone after all he
put it on. At least a range of time.

JerryL

snip
Well, in South Florida they hot mop the roof. As for getting a contractor

examine the roof, they are giving appointments for 6 months from now just

examine the roof.

I was inferring the find the contractor that did your house. The
contractor
of record should be able to answer the question over the phone after all
he
put it on. At least a range of time.

I appreciate the help but there is no contractor of record. The builder of
the development, who dissappeared after the last house was built use to hire
crews to do the roofs. Most of the builders do that down here. It's not a
roofing company or contractor. Just a band of roving workers.

Andy Hill

"JerryL" wrote:
Hurricane Wilma did quite a job on barrel tile roofs, including mine. It
ripped off about 15 to 20 tiles. According to officials it might take up to
a year to get people and tiles to make repairs to everyone's roof. The Corp
of Engineers will not install blue tarps on these roofs. My house if 6 years
old and I know that the roof was hot-tarred and papered before the barrel
tiles were installed. Does it sound like I might have leakage problems? It
didn't leak during the hurricane and it's pouring right now and not leaking.
Will the underlayment hold till I can get someone to repair the roof?

I'd at least try to band-aid the problem by putting *something* up there to
protect the waterproofing layer from UV and mechanical damage. Doesn't have to
be pretty.
dadiOH

JerryL wrote:
Hurricane Wilma did quite a job on barrel tile roofs, including mine.
It ripped off about 15 to 20 tiles.

Geez...last year's hurricanes didn't bother mine at all (central
Florida)...falling limb broke 2-3 in the lowest course
_____________

My house if 6 years old and I know that the roof was
hot-tarred and papered before the barrel tiles were installed.

Should be much more than paper. Usual is 90# mineral impregnated
felt...heavy roofing material.
________________

Does it sound like I might have leakage problems?

No, not if it is 90# hot mopped on
_________________

Will the underlayment hold till I can get someone to repair the roof?

That *is* your roof...the tiles are mostly pretty-pretties and afford
weather protection to the mopped on material.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Travis Jordan

JerryL wrote:
I appreciate the help but there is no contractor of record. The
builder of the development, who dissappeared after the last house was
built use to hire crews to do the roofs. Most of the builders do that
down here. It's not a roofing company or contractor. Just a band of
roving workers.

The problem with exposed underlayment is that UV from the sun will
damage it over time. Most "felt" type underlayments are only warranteed
for 30 days of direct exposure. Modified bitumen (a thicker sheet than
felt) will withstand almost unlimited exposure. If you aren't sure what
kind of underlayment you have I would find a way to cover the exposed
areas to prevent excessive sun exposure.

JerryL

"dadiOH" wrote in message
JerryL wrote:
[...]

Great. Thanks for the info. After Wilma, there are very few houses that
didn't lose barrel tiles. It looks like a tornado ripped through the place.
Luckily, we didn't lose too many trees this time. We lost most of them last
year during Frances and Jean.