Diane

Default paint/stain concrete roof tile

Finally getting ready to order the tile for my house. Built a "shop"
(24x32) nearby that we put tile on as a DIY project 23 years ago. The tile
color (Antique Ivory) is no longer available - even as a special order.
After checking for a number of years, I'm about ready to throw in the towel
& order red tile. Don't think I can "live" with having red tile on the
house and Ivory on the shop. I'm looking at painting/staining the Ivory tile
to match the red stuff since I'm not too excited about tearing off &
replacing 15 squares of "good" tile. Lowe's & Sherwin Williams both pointed
me to H&C acrylic stains for concrete. One suggested the Silicone Acrylic
Concrete Sealer; the other the Shield Plus Latex Concrete Stain. I've
looked at the H&C recommendations and neither is "perfect" for the job, but
might work. I'm painting some old, extra tiles as tests. I talked to H&C
and they don't really recommend either product for this - they referred me
to another specialty product made by Henry. Talked to Henry & their product
doesn't sound like a good match either. Another Sherwin Williams fellow
suggested using their bonding agent & then just regular house paint. Any
one have any experience to share in this area? The tile to be colored is
Monier Roma with a slurry coat that's going to make bonding touchy since
it's not porous. And I'm near Austin, TX, where it gets hot in the
summer...

m Ransley

if its not porous and its glazed I would not do it, why red tile, you
can find something close.

Diane

if its not porous and its glazed I would not do it, why red tile, you can
find something close.

Finding something close is easier said than done. I've been looking for a
long, long time. There are not that many manufacturers of concrete roof
tile. And I've tried multiple times for a special order of the original
color with them. Light colors are just not popular and apparently mine
would need white cement which they don't use because of it's expensive.
Anything I choose is going to be a drastic change. The only tiles that I've
found that are plain (no overspray or flash) are either terra cotta or red.
Fortunately, either would look Ok with my house style. But even getting a
solid color tile in a low barrel profile is a custom order...

Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Removing old floor tile from concrete M.Burns Home Repair 5 January 30th 04 04:48 PM