Abe

Default Which dishwasher brand to buy?

I'm looking to replace my 12 year old Amana dishwasher, and want to
get a really flexible unit that lets you take out the top rack (for
really tall items), has a SS tub, waste grinder, and is really quiet.

I've looked at many dishwashers online, but I can't really tell which
is best from the marketing language.

Any recommendations based on personal experience, regardless of price?

badgolferman

Abe, 10/29/2005,6:36:41 PM, wrote:

I'm looking to replace my 12 year old Amana dishwasher, and want to
get a really flexible unit that lets you take out the top rack (for
really tall items), has a SS tub, waste grinder, and is really quiet.

I've looked at many dishwashers online, but I can't really tell which
is best from the marketing language.

Any recommendations based on personal experience, regardless of price?

We bought a Whirlpool Quiet Partner II that was dinged up for a great
price from Lowe's. I am very impressed with its features and
quietness. You can hear it, but compared to our 15 year old Whirlpool
it is nearly silent.

--
"Talking to a golf ball won't do you any good. Unless you do it while
your opponent is teeing off." -- Bruce Lansky
Dr. Hardcrab

"badgolferman" wrote in message
Abe, 10/29/2005,6:36:41 PM, wrote:

I'm looking to replace my 12 year old Amana dishwasher, and want to
get a really flexible unit that lets you take out the top rack (for
really tall items), has a SS tub, waste grinder, and is really quiet.

I've looked at many dishwashers online, but I can't really tell which
is best from the marketing language.

Any recommendations based on personal experience, regardless of price?

We bought a Whirlpool Quiet Partner II that was dinged up for a great
price from Lowe's. I am very impressed with its features and
quietness. You can hear it, but compared to our 15 year old Whirlpool
it is nearly silent.

Not trying to "one up" you, but i bought the Quiet Partner III last year and
that sucker IS quiet. The only time you hear it is if someone puts a plate
(or glass, bowl, etc.) in crooked where it's banging against another. Even
THEN you can barely hear it.....

Abe

[...]

So, how do you guys like the build quality, and flexibility?

Edwin Pawlowski

Abe wrote:
I'm looking to replace my 12 year old Amana dishwasher, and want to
get a really flexible unit that lets you take out the top rack (for
really tall items), has a SS tub, waste grinder, and is really quiet.

I've looked at many dishwashers online, but I can't really tell which
is best from the marketing language.

Any recommendations based on personal experience, regardless of price?

Never tried taking the top rack out, but our Kitchen Aid Superba is great.
We got it last summer after the 20 year old KA was starting to die. It
has more clearance on the bottom than our old one did so it will take taller
items easier. Extremely quit, cleans very well. I'd buy another tomorrow.

--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

badgolferman

Abe, 10/29/2005,7:42:56 PM, wrote:

[...]

On mine there are no knobs or buttons -- just momentary microswitches
below a raised legend. I installed it myself so it can be done by
nearly anybody. I don't think you can go wrong with that brand anyway.

--
"The least thing upset him on the links. He missed short putts because
of the uproar of butterflies in the adjoining meadows." -- P.G.
jdk

Abe wrote:

I'm looking to replace my 12 year old Amana dishwasher, and want to
get a really flexible unit that lets you take out the top rack (for
really tall items), has a SS tub, waste grinder, and is really quiet.

I've looked at many dishwashers online, but I can't really tell which
is best from the marketing language.

Any recommendations based on personal experience, regardless of price?

i got a bosch on sale 4 yrs ago. stainless steel, and quiet. i am happy
with it.
Abe

I'm looking to replace my 12 year old Amana dishwasher, and want to
get a really flexible unit that lets you take out the top rack (for
really tall items), has a SS tub, waste grinder, and is really quiet.
I've looked at many dishwashers online, but I can't really tell which
is best from the marketing language.
Any recommendations based on personal experience, regardless of price?

Never tried taking the top rack out, but our Kitchen Aid Superba is great.
We got it last summer after the 20 year old KA was starting to die. It
has more clearance on the bottom than our old one did so it will take taller
items easier. Extremely quit, cleans very well. I'd buy another tomorrow.

Ed, would you see if the top rack is easily removable on your unit
without having bend or break anything?

I ask because I have a Honeywell electronic air cleaner for my house,
and I clean the filter units in the dishwasher (it's too much trouble
in the tub or with the hose).
Abe

On mine there are no knobs or buttons -- just momentary microswitches
below a raised legend. I installed it myself so it can be done by
nearly anybody. I don't think you can go wrong with that brand anyway.

Would you guys be kind enough to look and see if the top rack is
easily removable on your unit without having bend or break anything?

I ask because I have a Honeywell electronic air cleaner for my house,
and I clean the filter units in the dishwasher (it's too much trouble
in the tub or with the hose).
jdk

Abe wrote:

On mine there are no knobs or buttons -- just momentary microswitches
below a raised legend. I installed it myself so it can be done by
nearly anybody. I don't think you can go wrong with that brand anyway.

Would you guys be kind enough to look and see if the top rack is
easily removable on your unit without having bend or break anything?

I ask because I have a Honeywell electronic air cleaner for my house,
and I clean the filter units in the dishwasher (it's too much trouble
in the tub or with the hose).

my bosch yes. on rollers lift up easy.

badgolferman

Abe, 10/29/2005,8:10:29 PM, wrote:

On mine there are no knobs or buttons -- just momentary
microswitches below a raised legend. I installed it myself so it
can be done by nearly anybody. I don't think you can go wrong with
that brand anyway.

Would you guys be kind enough to look and see if the top rack is
easily removable on your unit without having bend or break anything?

I ask because I have a Honeywell electronic air cleaner for my house,
and I clean the filter units in the dishwasher (it's too much trouble
in the tub or with the hose).

It looks like there are two clips that have to be pulled out and then
the rack should slide out of the rails. I didn't want to do it to mine
since the rack is full of dishes right now. Try it out at the dealer.

--
"They call it golf because all of the other four-letter words were
taken." -- Raymond Floyd
Abe

Would you guys be kind enough to look and see if the top rack is
easily removable on your unit without having bend or break anything?
I ask because I have a Honeywell electronic air cleaner for my house,
and I clean the filter units in the dishwasher (it's too much trouble
in the tub or with the hose).

It looks like there are two clips that have to be pulled out and then
the rack should slide out of the rails. I didn't want to do it to mine
since the rack is full of dishes right now. Try it out at the dealer.

OK, thanks for checking.
Edwin Pawlowski

Abe wrote:

Ed, would you see if the top rack is easily removable on your unit
without having bend or break anything?

I ask because I have a Honeywell electronic air cleaner for my house,
and I clean the filter units in the dishwasher (it's too much trouble
in the tub or with the hose).

You have 14 1/4" with the rack in place. It comes out in a few seconds.
Push a button on the end of the slides and the stops come out, then just
slide the rack out.

--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Abe

Ed, would you see if the top rack is easily removable on your unit
without having bend or break anything?
I ask because I have a Honeywell electronic air cleaner for my house,
and I clean the filter units in the dishwasher (it's too much trouble
in the tub or with the hose).

You have 14 1/4" with the rack in place. It comes out in a few seconds.
Push a button on the end of the slides and the stops come out, then just
slide the rack out.

Thanks for checking Ed. I'm going to look at these two:

http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/produc...roduct Id=844

and

http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/produc...roduct Id=849

Abe

I'm looking to replace my 12 year old Amana dishwasher, and want to
get a really flexible unit that lets you take out the top rack (for
really tall items), has a SS tub, waste grinder, and is really quiet.
I've looked at many dishwashers online, but I can't really tell which
is best from the marketing language.
Any recommendations based on personal experience, regardless of price?

i got a bosch on sale 4 yrs ago. stainless steel, and quiet. i am happy
with it.

Thanks JDK. I'm going to look at these 2:

http://67.151.195.18/bosch_home_appl...product_id=341

and

http://67.151.195.18/bosch_home_appl...product_id=358

Edwin Pawlowski

Abe wrote:

Thanks for checking Ed. I'm going to look at these two:

http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/produc...roduct Id=844

and

http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/produc...roduct Id=849

I noticed on the second model they mention a removable top rack. Better
check it out on the other to be sure that one is.

In another post you mention Bosch. I don't think it has the food grinder
you want.

--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Abe

Thanks for checking Ed. I'm going to look at these two:
http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/produc...roduct Id=844
http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/produc...roduct Id=849

I noticed on the second model they mention a removable top rack. Better
check it out on the other to be sure that one is.
In another post you mention Bosch. I don't think it has the food grinder
you want.

You're quite right about the food grinder. Not sure how I missed that.
Also, about the removable rack, I'll have to look for myself.

They Bosch does have one feature I like alot, where you snap out the
top spray arm and replace it with a sprayer as shown here. I'll have
to see how sturdy it looks.
http://67.151.195.18/bosch_home_appl...kler_pg111.jpg
jdk

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Abe wrote:

Thanks for checking Ed. I'm going to look at these two:

http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/produc...roduct Id=844

and

http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/produc...roduct Id=849

I noticed on the second model they mention a removable top rack. Better
check it out on the other to be sure that one is.

In another post you mention Bosch. I don't think it has the food grinder
you want.

mine does not, have a grinder. just a screen.
Dr. Hardcrab

"jdk" wrote in message
. ..
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Abe wrote:

Thanks for checking Ed. I'm going to look at these two:

http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/produc...roduct Id=844

and

http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/produc...roduct Id=849

I noticed on the second model they mention a removable top rack. Better
check it out on the other to be sure that one is.

In another post you mention Bosch. I don't think it has the food grinder
you want.

mine does not, have a grinder. just a screen.

In my best Homer Simpson voice

"Mmmmmmmmmm.......grinder......"

http://www.backofthebox.com/recipes/...andwich-g.html

L. M. Rappaport

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 23:54:03 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote (with possible editing):

Abe wrote:
I'm looking to replace my 12 year old Amana dishwasher, and want to
get a really flexible unit that lets you take out the top rack (for
really tall items), has a SS tub, waste grinder, and is really quiet.

I've looked at many dishwashers online, but I can't really tell which
is best from the marketing language.

Any recommendations based on personal experience, regardless of price?

Never tried taking the top rack out, but our Kitchen Aid Superba is great.
We got it last summer after the 20 year old KA was starting to die. It
has more clearance on the bottom than our old one did so it will take taller
items easier. Extremely quit, cleans very well. I'd buy another tomorrow.

Ed,

Not disputing you, but I felt I should tell the "other side".
Definitely no flame here - I respect you too much.

I replaced my 20 year old Ktchen Aid dishwasher with a new
top-of-the-line Kitchen Aid about 6 years ago. 2 years ago, it failed
- it would overheat and melt things that aren't supposed to melt and
the cycle was taking several hours. I called a serviceman, he
couldn't fix, so I called a second one. He showed up once, then never
came back. I called Kitchen Aid which is now part of another company
(Whirlpool?). My guess was that there is a thermostat in there
somewhere which needs to be replaced and, frankly, I could do it
myself easily. Kitchen Aid WOULD NOT HELP. They referred me to the
first and second repair folks. The first guy walked away with the
manual. I got fed up and asked (nicely) if I could buy a service
manual. They wouldn't do that, either.

I finally got fed up and bought a new Bosch. Talk about
quiet! You have to look at the indicators to know that it's running.
It's been fine for the last 2 years. Wasn't cheap, though.

Now both stories (yours and mine) are subjective enough that
they don't prove anything, but the attitude of Kitchen Aid towards its
consumers really stinks, in my judgment. I wouldn't buy anything from
them anymore.

Best,
--

Larry

Robatoy

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Never tried taking the top rack out, but our Kitchen Aid Superba is great.
We got it last summer after the 20 year old KA was starting to die. It
has more clearance on the bottom than our old one did so it will take taller
items easier. Extremely quit, cleans very well. I'd buy another tomorrow.

Mine is now 4 years old and flawless. VERY quiet. I 'd do it again too.
No

I bought and installed a Bosch in my old house. It replaced an ancient
kitchenaide. The quietness was amazing! When I build a new house the
builder only did whirlpool. We did the top of the line, not sure of the
model. something something II IIRC. Anyway, it sure seems louder than
what I got used to with the Bosch. let us know what you decide and how
you like it!

Rich

"jim evans" wrote in message
On 31 Oct 2005 09:29:10 -0800, "No" wrote:

I bought and installed a Bosch in my old house. It replaced an ancient
kitchenaide. The quietness was amazing! When I build a new house the
builder only did whirlpool. We did the top of the line, not sure of the
model. something something II IIRC. Anyway, it sure seems louder than
what I got used to with the Bosch. let us know what you decide and how
you like it!

Yes, but look at the price of a Bosch.

jim

Also look at the cost of being able to be in the same room when its running.
I had a Bosch in my last house that was the last thing in an island and it
was so quite it was hard to believe it was running at times. I have a Magic
Chef in my present house and I would gladly pay the difference in the two to
have the Bosch here now so that I don't have to plan to be away from the
area for the duration of it running. Price isn't everything when it comes to
usability/livability. I have a Bosch Axxis front loading washing machine and
my only complaint with it is that it doesn't have a buzzer that goes off
when its done running.

Rich

Trekking Tom

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:07:42 GMT, jdk wrote:

Abe wrote:

I'm looking to replace my 12 year old Amana dishwasher, and want to
get a really flexible unit that lets you take out the top rack (for
really tall items), has a SS tub, waste grinder, and is really quiet.

I've looked at many dishwashers online, but I can't really tell which
is best from the marketing language.

Any recommendations based on personal experience, regardless of price?

i got a bosch on sale 4 yrs ago. stainless steel, and quiet. i am happy
with it.

We just went through this and settled on a Quiet Series Maytag. Just
couldn't pay that much more for the Bosch, we had a Kitchen
Aid which worked good. We didn't like the little screen thing in the
bosch to catch the food parts. Having to reach way in there and grab
that gunky thing out. Much of the quietness is determined by the
install, you need to sealup around the outside and bottom to keep the
noise inside the cabinets. The truth about the new dishwashers is they
no longer have fans to aid drying, the stainless steel excuse that
it's needed for the moisture to condense on that seems to be horse
hockey. I remember being leary when they made the switch from the
metal insides to the plastic, we took the chance and went with the
plastic and it held up good, now they want you to upgrade to
Stainless,,,not buying it here.

Tom