chicagofan

Default Electrical question about plugs... please

If I have a receptacle that has one prong [of a worthless plug] stuck in
it... can I remove it with pliers safely, or do I have to turn off the power
first?

Don't laugh... I'm an over the hill female who doesn't mind showing her
ignorance. TIA...

Barbara
DanG

Barbara,

It would be much more safe to kill the power to that receptacle.
Plug something like a radio into the other half of the same
receptacle and go kill breakers until the radio turns off. Once
it is off, use a pliers to pull out the broken off plug. If you
cannot remove it, you may need to replace the receptacle.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"chicagofan" wrote in message
If I have a receptacle that has one prong [of a worthless plug]
stuck in it... can I remove it with pliers safely, or do I have
to turn off the power first?

Don't laugh... I'm an over the hill female who doesn't mind
showing her ignorance. TIA...

Barbara

chicagofan

DanG wrote:

Barbara,

It would be much more safe to kill the power to that receptacle.
Plug something like a radio into the other half of the same
receptacle and go kill breakers until the radio turns off. Once
it is off, use a pliers to pull out the broken off plug. If you
cannot remove it, you may need to replace the receptacle.

Thanks so much, I guessed that would be the response. I have a lamp plugged
in the other half... so I'll use that as an indicator, if I can't find one
of my portable radios. Appreciate the quick reply!
bj

"chicagofan" wrote
If I have a receptacle that has one prong [of a worthless plug]
stuck in it... can I remove it with pliers safely, or do I have
to turn off the power first?

Barbara

Toller

DanG wrote:

Barbara,

It would be much more safe to kill the power to that receptacle. Plug
something like a radio into the other half of the same receptacle and go
kill breakers until the radio turns off. Once it is off, use a pliers to
pull out the broken off plug. If you cannot remove it, you may need to
replace the receptacle.

Thanks so much, I guessed that would be the response. I have a lamp
plugged in the other half... so I'll use that as an indicator, if I can't
find one of my portable radios. Appreciate the quick reply!
bj

Dan was certainly correct; it is foolish to do without out opening the
breaker; however (just for your education) if it is the large part, it is
completely harmless, as it is simply attached at the other end to the
ground. Even the small part is harmless if you use pliers with rubber
coated handles.
999 times out of 1000 electricity is much safer than you might think. But
there is always that 1000th time...

Berkshire Bill

Thanks so much, I guessed that would be the response. I have a lamp
plugged in the other half... so I'll use that as an indicator, if I can't
find one of my portable radios. Appreciate the quick reply!
bj

If the radio has battery power expect misleading results !

Bill

FDR

"DanG" wrote in message

Barbara,

It would be much more safe to kill the power to that receptacle. Plug
something like a radio into the other half of the same receptacle and go
kill breakers until the radio turns off. Once it is off, use a pliers to
pull out the broken off plug. If you cannot remove it, you may need to
replace the receptacle.

The one caveat to this is that the outlet may be split, with one of the
receptacles on one circuit and the other receptacle on another. I would use
a voltage testing device that beeps and/or flashes when line voltage is
present at the probe tip that you would place next to the outlet. This is
about the surest way to be safe.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"chicagofan" wrote in message
If I have a receptacle that has one prong [of a worthless plug] stuck in
it... can I remove it with pliers safely, or do I have to turn off the
power first?

Don't laugh... I'm an over the hill female who doesn't mind showing her
ignorance. TIA...

Barbara

Frank

DanG wrote:

[...]

I think you are too generous with those numbers, more like 99 out of 100 I
would think. Its too easy to screw up even if you know what your doing ...
someone could have wired it backwards, screw driver slipped or Murphy
looking over your shoulders.

Don Young

All the responses have good ideas, but why not just open the main breaker
and be sure? You need to know how to do this to kill all power in your home
and you you need to have a flashlight if one is needed.
Don Young
"FDR" wrote in message

"DanG" wrote in message

[...]

chicagofan

Don Young wrote:

All the responses have good ideas, but why not just open the main breaker
and be sure? You need to know how to do this to kill all power in your home
and you you need to have a flashlight if one is needed.

I want to thank all of you for the great responses, and I am pretty well
acquainted with my main breaker box. I've been here almost 20 yrs., and
have found my box/circuits to be marked pretty clearly.

I have switched a space heater to that outlet in the past few days, so I
think it will confirm that I've thrown the right switch, without shutting
the whole box off. Also I think I have rubber handled pliers. Just haven't
had time to fool with it yet.

Thanks again everyone!

Barbara

"chicagofan" wrote
If I have a receptacle that has one prong [of a worthless plug] stuck in
it... can I remove it with pliers safely, or do I have to turn off the
power first?

w_tom

Its an old electrician's trick performed for human safety.
When grabbing anything that might be electrically hot, first
put the other hand in a back pocket. If you don't have a back
pocket, then just grab your ass. This way the accidental flow
of electricity will not flow through your heart.

Any implication beyond electrical concepts is simply
coincidental.

chicagofan wrote:
I want to thank all of you for the great responses, and I am pretty
well acquainted with my main breaker box. I've been here almost 20
yrs., and have found my box/circuits to be marked pretty clearly.

I have switched a space heater to that outlet in the past few days,
so I think it will confirm that I've thrown the right switch,
without shutting the whole box off. Also I think I have rubber
handled pliers. Just haven't had time to fool with it yet.

clifto

Toller wrote:
Dan was certainly correct; it is foolish to do without out opening the
breaker; however (just for your education) if it is the large part, it is
completely harmless,

IF THE OUTLET WAS WIRED PROPERLY. I have been surprised more than once.