GIOVANNA PERLES

Default baseboard heat antifreeze

Is there such a thing ? can you use car anitfreeze in the system ?
Thanks
Joe

hvactech2

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:41:55 GMT, "GIOVANNA PERLES"
wrote:

Is there such a thing ? can you use car anitfreeze in the system ?
Thanks
Joe

There is an anti freeze for boiler systems but it is non toxic. you
can't use car anti freeze in a boiler especially if it has a tankless
water heater in it. you also need to know the total gallons in the
system so you know how much to put in.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Edwin Pawlowski

"GIOVANNA PERLES" wrote in message
Is there such a thing ? can you use car anitfreeze in the system ?
Thanks
Joe

If you do decide to introduce poisonous chemicals to the system, be sure to
put in a backflow preventer. While rare, it is possible under the right
conditions for the heater water to be at a higher pressure than household
water and back up into the drinking water. Many communities now require
them by code.

I don't see why it would not work but I don't see much need unless you leave
the building unheated. Many industrial heating/cooling systems have glycol
in them.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

m Ransley

Why do you want antifreeze, are you going to turn off the system,
antifreeze will lower the efficiency of your system, just as in your car
50-50 is recommended not 100% antifreeze, water transfers heat more
efficiently.

wkearney99

Is there such a thing ? can you use car anitfreeze in the system ?

If you keep it moving there's little or no need for antifreeze.

calhoun

"wkearney99" wrote in message
Is there such a thing ? can you use car anitfreeze in the system ?

Yes pretty common, around here, to use it. Used a lot in seasonal homes that
get shut down the middle of winter, but also for those that have a problem
with a seldom used zone freezing.
There is a special, non toxic, antifreeze you are supposed to use if you are
connected to a municipal water supply. I know some that use dexcool.

Chris Lewis

According to calhoun :

"wkearney99" wrote in message
Is there such a thing ? can you use car anitfreeze in the system ?

Yes pretty common, around here, to use it. Used a lot in seasonal homes that
get shut down the middle of winter, but also for those that have a problem
with a seldom used zone freezing.
There is a special, non toxic, antifreeze you are supposed to use if you are
connected to a municipal water supply. I know some that use dexcool.

It's better to use a non-toxic antifreeze regardless of what you're
connected to. Municipal water or not, you don't want automotive antifreeze
in your house plumbing.

Non-toxic antifreeze doesn't cost very much. Lots of places carry it
(ie: swimming pool places where freezing temperatures are possible,
or RV service places). Cheaper than DexCool by a substantial margin
I think.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Goedjn

Yes pretty common, around here, to use it. Used a lot in seasonal homes that
get shut down the middle of winter, but also for those that have a problem
with a seldom used zone freezing.
There is a special, non toxic, antifreeze you are supposed to use if you are
connected to a municipal water supply. I know some that use dexcool.

If you're going to be adulterating your hydronic-system water with
anything that didn't come out of the municiple water-supply,
then there should be an air-gap between the two.

HeatMan

Is there such a thing ? can you use car anitfreeze in the system ?
Thanks
Joe

I've already read most of the other replies, but the one question I didn't
see was WHY? If there is a special reason, like a 3-season cottage that
gets shut down during the winter, that's fine.

The point I want to make is if you add anti-freeze to the system, be aware
that you may need to change the pump/circulator. Anti-freeze is thicker
(more resistant to flow), even diluted, and circ that's already there may
not be able to heat the place as well, if at all. Another thing, some
boilers have 'elastomeric' o-rings that will not tolerate the chemicals in
the anti-freeze. Oh, and you may discover leaks in the system that never
showed when it was running with plain water (don't ask me how I know....).