Default Kitchen Plumbing - Am I Missing Anything?

I'm completly redoing my kitchen, including moving the sink. I have
the drain issues figured out so I am looking at features. My plan so
far:

Sink will probably be stainless single bowl 25X22 - might be able to
fit in a double, but will depend on cabinet layout. Will have a new
disposal. Probably a pull out faucet to eliminate the extra sprayer.

I want an undersink water filter - I have a mix of iron and copper pipe
and get bad taste and yellow water at times. I want to mount it in the
basement directly below the sink - will make filter changes much
easier, and if it does leak, onto a tile/concrete floor 4' from a floor
drain. My last one opened itself while doing some other plumbing -
apparently the pressure changes from turning off the main loosened the
cover.

Also thinking I will add an instant hot water tap for tea, coffee, etc.
What is the advantage of the $300+ units vs. the $100 units?

On the cold side, I figure I will run copper to the filter location in
the basement, install the filter, then run copper up under the sink.
Inside the cabinet I will tee off a second line for the water heater.
Both lines with shutoffs. Will also run the refrigerator line after
the filter.

Hot water line straight to cabinet, then tee off for the dishwasher -
again with individual shutoffs.

Am I missing anything to make life easier in the long run?

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Sink will probably be stainless single bowl 25X22 - might be able to
fit in a double, but will depend on cabinet layout.

IMO, the larger sing sink is much more practial than having two smaller
sinks in the double.

I want an undersink water filter - I have a mix of iron and copper pipe
and get bad taste and yellow water at times. I want to mount it in the
basement directly below the sink - will make filter changes much
easier, and if it does leak, onto a tile/concrete floor 4' from a floor
drain.

I don' have the drain, but mounted the filter under the kitchen also.
Sure makes life easier. You'll be glad you did it that way.

Am I missing anything to make life easier in the long run?

Sounds good to me.

Rich Greenberg

In article _pQ3f.8$da1.0@trndny04, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message

Sink will probably be stainless single bowl 25X22 - might be able to
fit in a double, but will depend on cabinet layout.

IMO, the larger sing sink is much more practial than having two smaller
sinks in the double.

And even better is the sink with a large basin for washing and a small
one for the disposer.

Banty

In article _pQ3f.8$da1.0@trndny04, Edwin Pawlowski says...

wrote in message

Sink will probably be stainless single bowl 25X22 - might be able to
fit in a double, but will depend on cabinet layout.

IMO, the larger sing sink is much more practial than having two smaller
sinks in the double.

Why? (not questioning you, it's that I'm deciding the last kitchen remod
questions myself, and this is one of them) Even though I will have a dishwasher
(don't have now), it's been durn handy to be able to put dirty stuff in one
bowl, rinse veggies, etc., in the other. However, all the double sink sizes
don't allow me to center under the kitchen window in any decent layout with the
semi-custom cabinetry. Simplest solution is to go with single-bowl sink. Since
I'm a beleiver in the KISS princple, I'm leaning to single-bowl sink. Love to
hear your thoughts on it...

Banty

buffalobill

single sink allows room to soak a broiler pan overnight. get deepest
sink that fits with tallest spigot to wash deep containers.

microwave is a quick way to make hot water in a pyrex glass measuring
cup. start microwave and by the time you have assembled your
ingredients your water is reasy.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Sink will probably be stainless single bowl 25X22 - might be able to
fit in a double, but will depend on cabinet layout.

IMO, the larger single sink is much more practial than having two smaller
sinks in the double.

Why? (not questioning you, it's that I'm deciding the last kitchen remod
questions myself, and this is one of them) Even though I will have a
dishwasher
(don't have now), it's been durn handy to be able to put dirty stuff in
one
bowl, rinse veggies, etc., in the other.

I get more frustrated with the smaller size of the double sink because large
items will not fit into it properly. Large pans, oven rack, etc, just
cannot be soaked if need be. The 1/3 - 2/3 sinks may be a better option.

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message

[...]

that's what i have, a 1/3-2/3 with the large side being extra deep. you can
soak large pans in the large side, and there will be times that you will
have to hand wash some things, and that's inconvenient with only a single
sink.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ups.com...

Probably a pull out faucet to eliminate the extra sprayer.

You might want to reconsider this. When I'm washing pots & pans, I often
shove the faucet off to the side with the back of my hand while scrubbing a
pot, and then pull it back to the middle to rinse. The natural place to
shove the faucet is far out from the base, not at the middle. There's more
leverage that way. With a pullout faucet, I suspect the end will get knocked
out of its holder constantly. And, shoving the faucet closer to the base
might become difficult as minerals build up inside and the whole thing gets
harder to move over time.

Maybe something to think about, if you use a faucet this way.

Centering under the window is the limitation. Right now the plan calls
for a 27" sink base, so it would be tough to do anything else.
Depending on how the load bearing wall is removed and the support for
it, it might be possible to gain a few inches on either side. I would
do a 75/25 (or whatever ratio), not a 50/50.

Just saw an interesting faucet at Costco. Pullout but mounts in the
corner of the sink. $70, including a built in soap dispenser. Don't
remember the brand. Any opinions on this setup?

Chris Lewis

According to Rich Greenberg :

wrote in message

Sink will probably be stainless single bowl 25X22 - might be able to
fit in a double, but will depend on cabinet layout.

IMO, the larger sing sink is much more practial than having two smaller
sinks in the double.

And even better is the sink with a large basin for washing and a small
one for the disposer.

Which eventually turns into a smallish basin for washing and a basin
that's too small for doing anything, and a waste of counter space.

[We hate ours.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Goedjn

I'm completly redoing my kitchen, including moving the sink. I have
the drain issues figured out so I am looking at features. My plan so
far:

Sink will probably be stainless single bowl 25X22 - might be able to
fit in a double, but will depend on cabinet layout. Will have a new
disposal. Probably a pull out faucet to eliminate the extra sprayer.

You need a tiny little sink right next to the stove,
with a high-necked faucet and-or a hose, for filling
pots and as a place to dump flaming disasters.
You need a normal sink for the sorts of things that normal
people do, and you need a deep laundry-tub sort
of sink for filling, emptying, marinating, dying, and
icing things.

Banty

In article , Goedjn says...

I'm completly redoing my kitchen, including moving the sink. I have
the drain issues figured out so I am looking at features. My plan so
far:

Sink will probably be stainless single bowl 25X22 - might be able to
fit in a double, but will depend on cabinet layout. Will have a new
disposal. Probably a pull out faucet to eliminate the extra sprayer.

You need a tiny little sink right next to the stove,
with a high-necked faucet and-or a hose, for filling
pots and as a place to dump flaming disasters.
You need a normal sink for the sorts of things that normal
people do, and you need a deep laundry-tub sort
of sink for filling, emptying, marinating, dying, and
icing things.

Wow.

If I followed all that, I'd have no space left for counters in my smallish
galley kitchen...

Banty

Colbyt

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It looks pretty complete.

Was that filter that blew up an Omni whole house and about 9 years old? I
ask because I had the top blow off mine recently. Thankfully we were home
to hear it running.

Colbyt

Goedjn

Wow.

If I followed all that, I'd have no space left for counters in my smallish
galley kitchen...

Obviously then, you'll have to swap the kitchen and the livingroom.

More seriously, in that case, go with the deepest, widest, sink/tub
you can get, and then have someone build you an array of inserts that
fit into the sink like chafing dishes.

Sacramento Dave

Well there allot of replies about the sink to buy. Now hear is something to
check your waste elevation, some of the newer sinks are deeper about 10 1/2"
compared to 6 1/2". Most cases it works out , so if your going with a deeper
sink lower the trap adaptor accordingly. As for running the water supplies
as long as you get A to A and B to B everything should work.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Roger Taylor

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I like most of your ideas, especially individual shutoffs. I just redid a
kitchen and, based on that, would suggest the following:
Pullout sprayers I've heard may be problematic, quickly dated, and more
complex, and you may get lower flow and more leaks than a proper faucet and
separate sprayer. Instant hot water is an excellent idea. Rather than a
cold water filter, I would just use the top of the line hot water
dispenser - I used the insinkerator - which includes a cartridge-changeable
filter element. The top of the line has features I like, like quality
filter, and true instant hot, absolutely no delay (the pipe empties each
time). To save undersink tangles and crowding, I bought a fridge with an
in-the-cabinet cold water dispenser. It has its own filter, cartridge style,
that is located at the top inside of the fridge - very handy for good
tasting drinking water. Good luck.

I replaced my stainless steel sink about 6 months ago. I had one of
the two bowl models, with one large bowl and one tiny bowl. The tiny
one is supposed to be for the disposal, with the idea that you scrape
off plates into there. However, my disposal was under the main bowl
and the small bowl was just a useless waste of space. First, I usually
just scrape off any plate material into the trash can, not the sink.
And second, I want the disposal under the main bowl, as that is where I
do prep work and wind up with vegetable peels, etc. With the disposal
there, down they go!

So, I went with a Kohler Marsala cast iron model, which is one of the
2/3, 1/3 double bowl models. Additionally, it comes with a single hole
faucet at the divider, and an optional second hole for either hot water
dispenser, detergent dispenser, etc., in the extreme right corner. By
only having two holes strategically placed, it allows the bowls to go
back another couple inchs into what would be unused space at the back.
It also has one very deep 2/3 bowl, and a less deep 1/3 bowl.

IMO, this sink is the ideal std size sink. You have a huge, deep bowl
that can take just about any reasonable kitchen item. Being deep, it
works extremely well with a spray faucet, allowing you to use the
sprayer without blow back. I wasn't even thinking about this when I
went with the deeper sink. But, what a difference. Previously, I had
always used the sprayer gingerly, because water would easily blow back
on you. And the 1/3 bowl, by virute of the fact that it goes way back,
is big enough to be useful. It's excellent for placing a collander for
example. And having it available as a backup is great. For example,
you could have the main one dirty with dishs, scraps from prepping,
etc, and suddenly you need to do something, like the collander, in a
clean sink, so you have it waiting. The sink also has the drains moved
near the back of the sink, where they should be, so that you have more
useable space on the bottom of the sink closer to you. And by keeping
smaller things to the front, there is less chance of them falling into
the disposal than if the drain were in the center.

I also love switching from stainless to cast iron. The white makes the
sink so much brighter and appealing to work over. It's even easier to
see vegetables you may be working on against the white background,
instead of the metal look. Plus, its quieter with the garbage disposal
running.

Regarding the discussion of centering the sink in the window, also keep
in mind that the faucet plays a visible role too. For example, if you
can center the faucet in the window with a particular sink, or come
close to center, then having the sink off an inch or so one way or the
other may be fine. My sink is not centered, its over an inch to the
left of center. With the Marsala being 2/3, 1/3, the faucet winds up
right of center in the sink. So, with the sink to the left, the faucet
to the right, the net result is the faucet is just a little to the
right of center in the window and the whole thing looks great.

I'd get some templates of sinks that are available on the web and make
some cardboard cutouts. That's what I did and it;s the best way to
figure out how the whole thing will look against the window, etc,
before buying it.

Filter might have been an Omni. It's probably been 3 years since I
removed it and had probably been there 3 or 4. I was a whole house
with a clear globe.

I was replacing a washer in the outside faucet which turned into a
major hassle with ancient valves. All the off/on of the main caused it
to loosen up.

Recomendation for kitchen Oliver Ciaravella UK diy 23 March 9th 05 12:29 AM
Routing laundry drain to kitchen drain possible? orangetrader Home Repair 11 March 7th 05 03:14 AM
Plumbing shock iamaran UK diy 28 September 3rd 04 03:38 PM
building control and kitchen requirements neil leslie UK diy 27 June 12th 04 09:39 PM
Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,CabinetVision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2 CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] (Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2 FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProjectExpress v4S), Big Hammer Do It Yourself (De TEL Home Ownership 0 February 6th 04 03:29 PM