Doug Kanter

Default Spray paint help

wrote in message
I've been doing a lot of spray painting lately - from tins of spray
paint, not from a compressor, and have been having problems with
wrinkling. I've used a primer coat and the same brand of spray paint
as the primer too.

About 50% of the time a second or third coat will cause everything to
sort of alligator except that instead of shrinking, the paint expands
and creates alligatoring in reverse with raised ridges.

Anyone know what causes this and how to avoid it in future?

Helen

What are you painting? What temperature? Humidity? Is whatever you're
painting in a place where it might be forced to dry too quickly, like in the
sun? Are you putting on very light coats?

Doug Kanter

wrote in message

What are you painting? What temperature? Humidity? Is whatever you're
painting in a place where it might be forced to dry too quickly, like in
the
sun? Are you putting on very light coats?

I was painting bare metal, or metal with a primer. Fairly dry humidity
but have a friend who has had the same problem in the summer so
humidity doesn't seem to be a factor. Painting was done in a basement
or garage, not in the sun. and yes, I was using very light coats,
otherwise it runs and causes drips.

What brand of primer & paint? What was the temperature when it was applied,
and while it was drying?

Doug Kanter

Default Spray paint help - Att: Doug Kanter and others

wrote in message

What brand of primer & paint? What was the temperature when it was
applied,
and while it was drying?

I've used both Tremclad and Painter's Touch made by Rust-Oleum with
their corresponding primers but have deliberately never used a
combination of both brands on the same item. Temps were 55-60 degrees
which does seem a bit low but instructions on the tins said that was
okay. Same temps for application and drying with a fairly dry
atmosphere.

To all who very kindly responded, The Painter's Touch paint says
"Recoat before one hour or after 24 hours". Which time spread would be
better in order to avoid wrinkling or would it make any difference?

Longer, especially at lower temps. By the way, I assume you're shaking the
cans VERY thoroughly, right?

Doug Kanter

wrote in message

Longer, especially at lower temps. By the way, I assume you're shaking the
cans VERY thoroughly, right?

After the second episode of paint wrinkling, yes. (-:

Hmm. The plot thickens. Let me see if I've got this straight. You didn't
shake the can for the first coat or two or whatever. The paint behaved
badly. Then, you shook the can and did another coat on top of the earlier
ones?

If this is the case, I'd strip off all the paint and start over. Discard the
unused paint (properly) and buy new stuff.

Jim Yanik

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

wrote in message

Longer, especially at lower temps. By the way, I assume you're
shaking the cans VERY thoroughly, right?

After the second episode of paint wrinkling, yes. (-:

Hmm. The plot thickens. Let me see if I've got this straight. You
didn't shake the can for the first coat or two or whatever. The paint
behaved badly. Then, you shook the can and did another coat on top of
the earlier ones?

If this is the case, I'd strip off all the paint and start over.
Discard the unused paint (properly) and buy new stuff.

Some spray paints do not like to be put over other brands of paint,and will
wrinkle.You have to test for compatibility on a scrap piece.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

m Ransley

A guess is you are not using the right primer paint combo or doing
improperly, you have a chemical incompatibility such as a high solvent
paint. A long dry time likely would be best. Dry times are usualy rated
at 70f, 55 is pushing it for many modern paint formulas in spray , the
low temps increase cure time and the primer has not cured out and
sealed, the finish coat is eating into the primer. Call the Mnfg and be
sure you are following all instructions.

keith

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:06:28 -0500, m Ransley wrote:

A guess is you are not using the right primer paint combo or doing
improperly, you have a chemical incompatibility such as a high solvent
paint. A long dry time likely would be best. Dry times are usualy rated
at 70f, 55 is pushing it for many modern paint formulas in spray , the
low temps increase cure time and the primer has not cured out and
sealed, the finish coat is eating into the primer. Call the Mnfg and be
sure you are following all instructions.

I've had the same problem. It's taken me forever to paint a few (four
sections) of baseboard units. I've finally gotten the big pieces pretty
well done (ugly, but passable) but the end caps and such went nuts. I was
trying to use rustolium (sp?) appliance paint, but Ive now given up (too
cold and rainy - gott get done) and will sand it all off and brush it on.
What a PITA! :-(

--
Keith