Christopher Riley

Default Finishing Oak Baseboards

Hello,

I have stripped the red oak baseboards in a room of my 1920's house and are
now wondering how best to finish them. They are sanded down to bare wood,
and I am not interested in staining them.

I was thinking of using Danish Oil; anyone have experience using that on oak
baseboards (and two door frames, as well)? Other suggestions?

Thanks for you help!

Chris

RicodJour

Christopher Riley wrote:
I have stripped the red oak baseboards in a room of my 1920's house and are
now wondering how best to finish them. They are sanded down to bare wood,
and I am not interested in staining them.

I was thinking of using Danish Oil; anyone have experience using that on oak
baseboards (and two door frames, as well)? Other suggestions?

Thanks for you help!

If you did a good job sanding, the Danish oil would be a fine way to
go. The stuff stinks to high heaven, is toxic and the used rags can
spontaneously combust, but you probably already know that.

Most people would go with a polyurethane, but the Danish oil is easier
to repair and I think it looks a lot better.

Amun

"Christopher Riley" wrote in message
Hello,

I have stripped the red oak baseboards in a room of my 1920's house and

are
now wondering how best to finish them. They are sanded down to bare wood,
and I am not interested in staining them.

I was thinking of using Danish Oil; anyone have experience using that on

oak
baseboards (and two door frames, as well)? Other suggestions?

Thanks for you help!

Chris

As you will be the one living with it whatever you prefer is best.

Just remember that stain is not just for color but also can help hide/fill
some flaws, and protect the wood if it's in a room where sunlight hits it.
Also all oil will darken wood over time, and you will have to keep
maintaining it.

AMUN

Bob

I would use the lightest stain you can find instead of using no stain. The
stain helps bring out the wood grain and may look better. If you have a
closet or a hiden section I would try it on that first to make sure.
"Christopher Riley" wrote in message
Hello,

I have stripped the red oak baseboards in a room of my 1920's house and
are
now wondering how best to finish them. They are sanded down to bare wood,
and I am not interested in staining them.

I was thinking of using Danish Oil; anyone have experience using that on
oak
baseboards (and two door frames, as well)? Other suggestions?

Thanks for you help!

Chris

Edwin Pawlowski

"RicodJour" wrote in message
If you did a good job sanding, the Danish oil would be a fine way to
go. The stuff stinks to high heaven, is toxic and the used rags can
spontaneously combust, but you probably already know that.

Danish oil is not really toxic.

http://www.environmentalhomecenter.c...TT_FURN_FINISH
Tried & True finishes are based on pure linseed oil, without any of the
petroleum-based solvents or heavy-metal driers that are typically added to
products labeled as "boiled linseed." Joe Robson, an experienced
cabinetmaker and finisher in upstate New York, crafted the Tried & True
formulas to match the quality of finish of fine antique furniture. His
finishes are made with techniques similar to those used by varnish makers in
the mid-1800s.

RicodJour

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
If you did a good job sanding, the Danish oil would be a fine way to
go. The stuff stinks to high heaven, is toxic and the used rags can
spontaneously combust, but you probably already know that.

Danish oil is not really toxic.

http://www.environmentalhomecenter.c...TT_FURN_FINISH
Tried & True finishes are based on pure linseed oil, without any of the
petroleum-based solvents or heavy-metal driers that are typically added to
products labeled as "boiled linseed." Joe Robson, an experienced
cabinetmaker and finisher in upstate New York, crafted the Tried & True
formulas to match the quality of finish of fine antique furniture. His
finishes are made with techniques similar to those used by varnish makers in
the mid-1800s.

I've never seen that "green" Danish oil, and can't comment on its
quality. When people say Danish oil they are frequently refering to a
Watco product (great stuff, BTW), or something similar. This from the
Watco MSDS:
Acute Health Effects: From MSDS
Inhalation: A burning sensation in the nose and throat, cough, a
feeling of difficulty in breathing. Also headache, dizziness,
staggering gait, confusion, unconsciousness or coma.
Eye Contact: Primary irritation.
Skin Contact: Primary irritation
Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal irritation and nausea.
Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposu Anesthesia,
respiratory tract irritation, dermatitis, nausea, vomiting.

Warren Weber

"Christopher Riley" wrote in message
Hello,

I have stripped the red oak baseboards in a room of my 1920's house and
are
now wondering how best to finish them. They are sanded down to bare wood,
and I am not interested in staining them.

I was thinking of using Danish Oil; anyone have experience using that on
oak
baseboards (and two door frames, as well)? Other suggestions?

Thanks for you help!

Chris

We stained oak base boards with a light oil stain and when dry sprayed with
clear lacquer. That was 10 years ago and it still looks great. WW