dave

Default Need a quick third opinion on crown moulding

We want to install crown moulding in our powder room. It's a
longish, narrow full bathroom, actually. My wife says that we should
install the same moulding that's in the hall outside the bathroom (3"
wide). I say that we should install something narrower because the the
wider moulding is too big for the room.

So, which is the more important factor, matching the rest of the
downstairs or scaling it to the room?

Thanks for any opinions.

One might use the hall moulding with the idea that they are both public
spaces.
TB

Joseph Meehan

dave wrote:
We want to install crown moulding in our powder room. It's a
longish, narrow full bathroom, actually. My wife says that we should
install the same moulding that's in the hall outside the bathroom (3"
wide). I say that we should install something narrower because the
the wider moulding is too big for the room.

So, which is the more important factor, matching the rest of the
downstairs or scaling it to the room?

Thanks for any opinions.

My opinion is the same as in the hallway. That will result in a more
unified look.

My second opinion is that when it comes to the way the home looks it is
the wife that should have the final say. The man of the house is likely to
have a much more pleasant life if he follows that rule. You get to make
decisions in the garage and yard.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Edwin Pawlowski

"dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
We want to install crown moulding in our powder room. It's a
longish, narrow full bathroom, actually. My wife says that we should
install the same moulding that's in the hall outside the bathroom (3"
wide). I say that we should install something narrower because the the
wider moulding is too big for the room.

So, which is the more important factor, matching the rest of the
downstairs or scaling it to the room?

Thanks for any opinions.

Isn't the hall long and arrow also? While I think it should be scaled to
the room, and have the appropriate style to the room, the same may work.
Tack a couple of pieces in place and take a look. It may be worth investing
in a couple feet of a narrower style to make a comparison too.

Tim Fischer

Geez do you people have good marriages, or are you always ducking from your
wife? Amazing.

My own opinion is that the hallway and bathroom are separate spaces, and
nothing "needs" to match. You should use something that looks good in
there.

As with any difference of opinion between married people, you have to a)
decide how much of a battle it's worth, b) talk together about your
individual feelings, and c) come to a consensus on what to do.

Simply saying "the wife is always right" is ridiculous, and not a sign of a
healthy marriage. Similarly, to say "come on you wuss, show her who's boss
of the house" would be equally unproductive.

Presumably you love this person and vice versa? Have you lost the ability
to communicate? If you can't discuss feelings about a friggin' bathroom
molding, how can you possibly discuss such imporant things as raising
children, family finances, and staying faithful to each other?

If someone says "well I'd prefer it one way but I'll do what my wife wants
because I love her and want to make her happy" that's one thing. But
comments such as "Your wife is right . . . Otherwise you will never hear the
end of it. The woman always wins in the end anyway." are just plain
ridiculous. Why not just get a divorce if you hate your wife that much?

-Tim

Norminn

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"dave" wrote in message
oups.com...

We want to install crown moulding in our powder room. It's a
longish, narrow full bathroom, actually. My wife says that we should
install the same moulding that's in the hall outside the bathroom (3"
wide). I say that we should install something narrower because the the
wider moulding is too big for the room.

So, which is the more important factor, matching the rest of the
downstairs or scaling it to the room?

Thanks for any opinions.

Isn't the hall long and arrow also? While I think it should be scaled to
the room, and have the appropriate style to the room, the same may work.
Tack a couple of pieces in place and take a look. It may be worth investing
in a couple feet of a narrower style to make a comparison too.

Your idea gets my vote ) If both can be seen at the same time, I
would lean harder toward same width. Depends a little on the amount and
scale of "stuff" in the bath, but it is a matter of taste and not that
hard to rip out if the boss changes decor ) The decorative stuff -
trim, wall decoration, pretty mirror, should be the focus and in scale
with each other.

Buddy Reeves

"dave" wrote in message
We want to install crown moulding in our powder room. It's a
longish, narrow full bathroom, actually. My wife says that we should
install the same moulding that's in the hall outside the bathroom (3"
wide). I say that we should install something narrower because the the
wider moulding is too big for the room.

So, which is the more important factor, matching the rest of the
downstairs or scaling it to the room?

Thanks for any opinions.

Crown molding, which is 3", is a smaller crown to start with. Anything less
than 3", would look rather silly.

Berkshire Bill

"dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
We want to install crown moulding in our powder room. It's a
longish, narrow full bathroom, actually. My wife says that we should
install the same moulding that's in the hall outside the bathroom (3"
wide). I say that we should install something narrower because the the
wider moulding is too big for the room.

So, which is the more important factor, matching the rest of the
downstairs or scaling it to the room?

Thanks for any opinions.

Following the tenets of Family Rule, your Wife wins this case. To settle
this argument ethically you should enlist the services of an Architect.

Bill

Greg O

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
[...]

Great marriage, it is just some things are not worth fighting over!
I never said the wife is ALWAYS right, but on something as trivial as crown
molding I would not be going to battle over it!
How is the OP's marriage? He posted a dilemma to a group of totally unknown
people to settle a disagreement he and his wife are having. Typically this
is one of those discussions were the OP wants us to side with him to settle
the disagreement. My wife and I we would have discussed it, and settled on
our own. We would not need outside intervention from a bunch of strangers!
It is allot in the delivery. If the OP had said, "My wife and I can not
decide which would be better?", instead of, "my wife wants this, and I want
that, who is right?" my reaction would be different!
Greg

Norminn

clipped

How is the OP's marriage? He posted a dilemma to a group of totally unknown
people to settle a disagreement he and his wife are having. Typically this
is one of those discussions were the OP wants us to side with him to settle
the disagreement. My wife and I we would have discussed it, and settled on
our own. We would not need outside intervention from a bunch of strangers!

Holy marriage counselling! Are you for real? The OP posted a simple
question and asked for opinions......he wants the project to looke good.

It is allot in the delivery. If the OP had said, "My wife and I can not
decide which would be better?", instead of, "my wife wants this, and I want
that, who is right?" my reaction would be different!
Greg

Lighten up or you will have a stroke ) It's like when I try on a new
dress and ask what hubby thinks...it might not look as good as I think
it looks. We have made wrong choices, even when we both liked the idea
initially, so..........

DanG

I'm sure your dress looked good. A bit like my wife who just
bought a new pair of blue jeans. She tried them on and modeled
them for me, but finally asked, "do this make me look the side of
a barn?"

I am not stupid. This is one of those female/male no win
questions. I answered quickly and honestly, "of course not, don't
be silly, there is no way you could look like the side of a barn
in those

Barn's are red!!!

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Norminn" wrote in message
clipped

[...]

Greg O

--
PoorUB
'05 Ultra Classic
"Norminn" wrote in message
clipped

[...]

Why the clip?
My response makes more sense with the previous poster's message!
My point was to rebut the previous post more than anything. I really am not
concerned of the relationship of the OP and his wife, but the previous
poster seemed to be concerned about us the responded first!
And as far as having a stroke, it ain't gonna happen. I'm having too much
fun! ;-)
Greg

calhoun

"Craven Morehead" wrote in message
Is a "blow job" involved in this decision?

"dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
We want to install crown moulding in our powder room. It's a
longish, narrow full bathroom, actually. My wife says that we should
install the same moulding that's in the hall outside the bathroom (3"
wide). I say that we should install something narrower because the the
wider moulding is too big for the room.

So, which is the more important factor, matching the rest of the
downstairs or scaling it to the room?

Thanks for any opinions.

I have found that, in the house, what is best is what the wife wants.

Oak crown fun... loutent Woodworking 1 August 23rd 05 11:42 AM
Cracked crown on red brick chimney The Kearsley Curse Home Repair 5 August 3rd 05 08:29 PM
Quick release mount for bikelight (metal content) Don Foreman Metalworking 4 December 23rd 04 10:49 PM
crown molding problem nemo Woodworking 10 June 4th 04 02:24 AM
standard charge or quick charge for nicads? Minty Electronics 2 July 16th 03 03:11 PM