The Kearsley Curse

Default Cracked crown on red brick chimney

x-no-archive: yes

I've got a cracked crown on a red brick chimney. Also, the mortar
between the brick is coming loose.

The cracks on the crown run right down to the red brick. Is it
necessary to chip off the old crown and replace it entirely? Or is
there a product to seal the cracked areas on the crown?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

"The Kearsley Curse" wrote in message
oups.com...
x-no-archive: yes

I've got a cracked crown on a red brick chimney. Also, the mortar
between the brick is coming loose.

The cracks on the crown run right down to the red brick. Is it
necessary to chip off the old crown and replace it entirely? Or is
there a product to seal the cracked areas on the crown?

Thanks in advance.

FWIW:
The approx 16 inch by 24 inch concrete cap (it's about four inches thick)
that I poured myself some 25 years ago after a mason built our two flue
chimney, developed a small crack years ago.
Worried about water and ice cracking it further I caulked it using something
from a tube of fairly ordinary outside caulk. Checking it occasionally it
appears to have worked for the last ten to fifteen years without further
attention.
Other opinions may vary.

The Kearsley Curse

x-no-archive: yes

Terry wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I'll look into it and see if there is an easy way around this,
other than to chip away the old crown. Keeping it simple would be the
way to go, at least for now.

Duane Bozarth

The Kearsley Curse wrote:

x-no-archive: yes

Terry wrote:
[...]

I'd go w/ simply caulking and perhaps repointing a little if it's
sufficiently large cracking that it appears to need it...as Terry says,
unless it's really deteriorated extensively that will probably last
indefinitely if just monitor it on occasion.

If, otoh, it has moved significantly by next year after this year's
patching, then you have indications of other problems to be resolved...
C & M

Ditto They make 100% silicon 'concrete' caulk which, I suspect, is just a
colorant added. Mine is holding up quite well with exstensive use (read:
many, deep cracks) for the past 3 years.

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

G Henslee

C & M wrote:
look at the bottom

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .

"The Kearsley Curse" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

top posting corrected

Ditto They make 100% silicon 'concrete' caulk which, I suspect, is just a
colorant added. Mine is holding up quite well with exstensive use (read:
many, deep cracks) for the past 3 years.

You make a total mess out of a thread when you top post and don't
snip/edit quoted text as needed. Thank you.

Brick Chimney Leak John Gregory Home Repair 2 January 14th 05 06:29 AM
Chimney Question Rob Gray Home Repair 1 October 21st 04 03:16 AM
crown molding problem nemo Woodworking 10 June 4th 04 02:24 AM
HELP! Brick siding pulling away Don Task Home Repair 2 December 27th 03 10:43 PM
[Fwd: Chimney cap replacement questions] RB Home Repair 0 December 26th 03 07:13 PM