newsy

Default New central AC odor - stumped

We just had a Carrier central AC installed (just AC with indoor air
handler) and have a lingering odor present in the two rooms with
exposed ductwork. The odor started during install, before turn-on, and
smells rubbery or "fish" like. It's been almost 2 weeks and running the
AC does not help. The curious thing is that there is no odor in the
duct outlets, or other rooms, which are air-conditioned. Could duct
lining in the return, or duct sealant be causing this problem?

I am pursuing this issue with the HVAC company (a well respected one)
but would appreciate any expert opinions.

..p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

Don't x-post this **** to alt.hvac

On 7 Oct 2005 19:22:35 -0700, "newsy" wrote:

We just had a Carrier central AC installed (just AC with indoor air
handler) and have a lingering odor present in the two rooms with
exposed ductwork. The odor started during install, before turn-on, and
smells rubbery or "fish" like. It's been almost 2 weeks and running the
AC does not help. The curious thing is that there is no odor in the
duct outlets, or other rooms, which are air-conditioned. Could duct
lining in the return, or duct sealant be causing this problem?

I am pursuing this issue with the HVAC company (a well respected one)
but would appreciate any expert opinions.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Noon-Air

"newsy" wrote in message
oups.com...
We just had a Carrier central AC installed (just AC with indoor air
handler) and have a lingering odor present in the two rooms with
exposed ductwork. The odor started during install, before turn-on, and
smells rubbery or "fish" like. It's been almost 2 weeks and running the
AC does not help. The curious thing is that there is no odor in the
duct outlets, or other rooms, which are air-conditioned. Could duct
lining in the return, or duct sealant be causing this problem?

I am pursuing this issue with the HVAC company (a well respected one)
but would appreciate any expert opinions.

Gotta wonder if an installer left the remnants of his lunch in the duct.....
Hey...its been known to happen

On 7 Oct 2005 19:22:35 -0700, "newsy" wrote:

We just had a Carrier central AC installed (just AC with indoor air
handler) and have a lingering odor present in the two rooms with
exposed ductwork. The odor started during install, before turn-on, and
smells rubbery or "fish" like. It's been almost 2 weeks and running the
AC does not help. The curious thing is that there is no odor in the
duct outlets, or other rooms, which are air-conditioned. Could duct
lining in the return, or duct sealant be causing this problem?

I am pursuing this issue with the HVAC company (a well respected one)
but would appreciate any expert opinions.

The answer to your question is yes. Duct sealant and or duct insulation could
be causing the smell. I doubt its the duct lining in the return, as you would
smell it then from every supply outlet. You might investigate which duct
sealant was used for your install.

fyi, a new roll of FSK duct wrap smells a lot like cat ****.

gofish