Andy M Jenkins

Default Struggling with Central Heating

Hi all, wonder if anyone can offer this idiot and central heating
newbie, some guidance.

Previously, we had room thermostat that was the (aged) type with the big
round dial (??). Next to my boiler we have a timer switch. This all
worked wonderfully, bar the fact that the thermostat was looking a bit
worse for wear and I fancied a bit more control.

So, I've bought a Drayton Digistat 3. Its all wired up, but I'm having
trouble getting it to operate the central heating. I've got it wired as
the tech guys @ Drayton says it should be wired (so hopefully thats ok -
at least, there's been no big bangs ;o) ).

Given I have this (more advanced) thermostat downstairs, what should the
timer switch be put to upstairs ? On, Once a day, Twice a day ? Off???
(pretty sure its not going to be that last one).

Daft question alert here now ... the timer switch upstairs has the On,
Once a day, Twice a day etc both for Hot Water and for Central Heating.
Do I need the Hot Water on for the Central Heating to be warm ? (told
you it was daft - but if you never ask .......... )

Anyone offer some assistance ? Its a bit cold in here tonight (((

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:18:37 +0000 (UTC), Andy M Jenkins wrote:

Given I have this (more advanced) thermostat downstairs, what should
the timer switch be put to upstairs ? On, Once a day, Twice a day ?
Off??? (pretty sure its not going to be that last one).

If it is wired in to the same wires as the old stat and you haven't
messed around with the wiring at the other end of that cable. Then the
timer needs to be set to "ON".

Depending on how the rest of the system is plumbed and what other
controls you may or may not have independant control of the HW/CH.

Do I need the Hot Water on for the Central Heating to be warm ?

See above. Is this a fully pumped system? Is the HW on a gravity
primary loop? Is there a motorised valve (or valves) anywhere?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mark

wrote:

Hi all, wonder if anyone can offer this idiot and central heating
newbie, some guidance.

Previously, we had room thermostat that was the (aged) type with the big
round dial (??). Next to my boiler we have a timer switch. This all
worked wonderfully, bar the fact that the thermostat was looking a bit
worse for wear and I fancied a bit more control.

So, I've bought a Drayton Digistat 3. Its all wired up, but I'm having
trouble getting it to operate the central heating. I've got it wired as
the tech guys @ Drayton says it should be wired (so hopefully thats ok -
at least, there's been no big bangs ;o) ).

Given I have this (more advanced) thermostat downstairs, what should the
timer switch be put to upstairs ? On, Once a day, Twice a day ? Off???
(pretty sure its not going to be that last one).

I'm no expert but I would suggest that you set the CH timer for always
ON and use the digistat to control the CH.

Daft question alert here now ... the timer switch upstairs has the On,
Once a day, Twice a day etc both for Hot Water and for Central Heating.
Do I need the Hot Water on for the Central Heating to be warm ? (told
you it was daft - but if you never ask .......... )

It depends on your system.

Mark