Joe Esposito

Default 1989 Lennox Central Air Water Condensation and Shutdown?

I have a Lennox Central Air Unit from 1989 that began to give me
problems last week.

First last week the copper line on the furnace/central air unit stated
to freeze. The unit subsequently shut down. When I tried to re-start
the Central Air at the thermostat the blower fan would not turn on.
After a period of time (a few hours) I was able to turn the AC back
on. I don't know why the Central Air unit wouldn't turn back on?
Possible Freeze Stat?

I suspected the refrigerant charge was low and had a tech install 5lbs
of R-22 and check for leaks. No leaks were found.

Now I have the opposite problem. I no longer have a freezing problem
now the copper line, furnace and basement ducting is dripping from
condensation. Last night the Central Air Unit began to make a loud
grinding noise. I couldn't tell if the blower fan was making the
noise. Like before the unit would not come back on until a few hours
later. Flood-back?

The condensate pump is coming on but I suspect come kind of flow
problem from the drain pipe? Maybe the unit was overcharged?

Any suggestions?

Joe E.
Travis Jordan

Joe Esposito wrote:
I have a Lennox Central Air Unit from 1989 that began to give me
problems last week.

/snip/
I suspected the refrigerant charge was low and had a tech install 5lbs
of R-22 and check for leaks. No leaks were found.

Now I have the opposite problem. I no longer have a freezing problem
now the copper line, furnace and basement ducting is dripping from
condensation. Last night the Central Air Unit began to make a loud
grinding noise. I couldn't tell if the blower fan was making the
noise. Like before the unit would not come back on until a few hours
later. Flood-back?

The condensate pump is coming on but I suspect come kind of flow
problem from the drain pipe? Maybe the unit was overcharged?

Any suggestions?

Um, did you tell the tech to just put in more refrigerant, or did he
determine that this was the problem?

Assuming it was the latter, I'd call the tech back and have them fix it
the way they should have the first time.

Joe Esposito

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:42:18 -0700, "CBHvac"
wrote:

We already nailed him on that in alt.hvac...

NO tech will start adding refrigerant unless its low....and thats sometimes
more complicated than slapping a manifold on and pumping..
Altho....5lbs is more than some of todays systems hold...even some old 80
model stuff..

Jeez guys thanks for the 5th degree!

For the record I did have a local HVAC company check and service the
AC last friday. I took them a day to get someone out so I look over
the unit to get an idea what is wrong. During the day I am an
engineer for an industrial refrigeration company. Quite a bit
different with 500 HP Screw Compressors, NH3, and multiple condenser
units.
No I am not certified to test/install refrigerant so I don't mess with
it. I don't post here and pretend to know what I am doing either!

Tomorrow morning they will send another Tech out so we will see what
they think the problem is now. I won't let them tell me that the
condensation is due to the recent high humidity. Sure I questioned
how a closed system can somehow lose refrigerant. Friday they Tech
did tell me no leaks were present and the only thing missing was a
1/4" access cap.

While the company I had service my AC is reputable I am beginning to
think otherwise.

Just trying to get some feedback for everyone here because I question
the work that was done last week.

Joe E.

Stormin Mormon

I'm curious what all else techie number one checked before hooking up the
bottle of juice?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe Esposito" wrote in message

While the company I had service my AC is reputable I am beginning to
think otherwise.

Just trying to get some feedback for everyone here because I question
the work that was done last week.

Joe E.

Joe Esposito

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 23:33:45 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'm curious what all else techie number one checked before hooking up the
bottle of juice?

I just stopped over my lunch break to ask him a few questions for
maybe 15 minutes out of the 2.5 hours that I was billed.

Didn't want my wife to say "OK" to anything.

We will see what "Tech #2" from the same company says tomorrow.

Regardless, I probably will be looking for a new HVAC contractor....

Thanks,

Joe E.

Stormin Mormon

Hey Joe, please keep us posted. I'm kinda curious. I've got a few ideas, but
I'm not there to check it all out, so it's guessing at the moment.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

I'm curious what all else techie number one checked before hooking up the
bottle of juice?

I just stopped over my lunch break to ask him a few questions for
maybe 15 minutes out of the 2.5 hours that I was billed.

Didn't want my wife to say "OK" to anything.

We will see what "Tech #2" from the same company says tomorrow.

Regardless, I probably will be looking for a new HVAC contractor....

Thanks,

Joe E.

Stormin Mormon

Calling people names isn't a good way to establish yourself as a man of
wisdom and strength. Actually, quite the oposite, name calling is, in many
circles, a sign of weakness.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"News Hound" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm not there to check it all out, so it's guessing at the moment.

You shouldn't comment on anything. You're 'guessing' at everything. You
will only make things worse. You're a clueless newbie installer. Your
advice is bunk, like your religion.

--

Mormonism exposed:
http://www.irr.org/mit/

Joseph Smith exposed:
http://www.truth-in-love.org/josephsmith.htm

Bubba

Default 1989 Lennox Central Air Water Condensation and Shutdown? (Dead Blower Motor)

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:52:03 -0400, Joe Esposito
wrote:

Well the Blower Fan is likely dead now. The blower shut off and
smells smoked. Now do I replace the blower motor on a 30 year old
Moncreif gas forced air furnace or replace the who darn unit?

Joe E.

It just depends on how much money you have and how stupid you are or
are not as to whether you replace the "who darn" unit.
Bubba

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:19:17 -0400, Joe Esposito
wrote:

So it is possible he is right. The Blower Fan works for a period of
time (still working after being on several hours today) and maybe it
overheats and begins to start making the noise. Just speculation?

Don't know where to go from here...

Thanks,

Joe E.

Joe Esposito

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:35:11 GMT, Bubba
wrote:

It just depends on how much money you have and how stupid you are or
are not as to whether you replace the "who darn" unit.
Bubba

Sorry for the grammatical error "Bubba".

Joe E.
Stormin Mormon

Dear Joe,
Well, a lot of that answer depends on money. A 30 year old unit is
likely running a LOT less efficient than anything good made today. If you
can afford a new furnace, the energy savings will help pay for the unit.
If things are really tough now, a new blower will get you by until
something else breaks.
I'd suggest replace, if you possibly can make it happen some how.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe Esposito" wrote in message
Well the Blower Fan is likely dead now. The blower shut off and
smells smoked. Now do I replace the blower motor on a 30 year old
Moncreif gas forced air furnace or replace the who darn unit?

Joe E.

Stormin Mormon

Wheel puller, heat, or penetrating oil. But not all at the same time!

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe Esposito" wrote in message

We were planning to replace the Moncreif tank in September. Until I
get some estimates and get the work scheduled I will replace the Motor
and Capacitor ($70 from Grainger).

Now how do I get the shaft out of the squirrel cage? I took the shaft
screw out but after being on for years its not coming out of the cage.

Joe E.