dean

Default How to get firewood up stairs?

Hello all - second to my last thread about getting wood into a
basement, I also have to get wood up 5 stairs into my ground level
living room. Generally I have 2 wheel barrows, one up the stairs and
one down, and I throw the wood up and then wheel it into to house in
that one. I need around 2-3 cords a winter in the living room, so its
quite a few loads.

The ramps I've seen in Norther Tool are around $1000, so they can toss
off. Hence I'm looking for ideas. I can put a ramp up the stairs but it
has to be light enough to move out of the way easily.

Thanks for any tips!

Dean

Warren Weber

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all - second to my last thread about getting wood into a
basement, I also have to get wood up 5 stairs into my ground level
living room. Generally I have 2 wheel barrows, one up the stairs and
one down, and I throw the wood up and then wheel it into to house in
that one. I need around 2-3 cords a winter in the living room, so its
quite a few loads.

The ramps I've seen in Norther Tool are around $1000, so they can toss
off. Hence I'm looking for ideas. I can put a ramp up the stairs but it
has to be light enough to move out of the way easily.

Thanks for any tips!

Dean

Motorcycle loading ramps. Harbor Freight Co. Less than $100 WW

dean

Yeah I thought of those, but pusing a wheel barrow of firewood is quite
hard up a steep ramp, I've tried it before. I want something at least
16' long.

Bill

I bought two black rubbermaid 45 gallon trash containers with wheels
(#1345). I fill one with small pieces of wood and the other with large
pieces of wood. Then it is easy for me to drag them up my 3 steps into my
house similar to the way you would drag a hand truck up steps.

And they don't seem to be too heavy to me when loaded with wood, but after
installing my 450 pound wood stove, anything would seem quite light!

The added advantage of these containers is that they have lids, so they keep
hitch-hiking bugs inside the container.

They don't look very attractive sitting in my living room, but they are
quite functional.

Trash containers on wheels...
http://www.arhomecenter.com/user/cat...roductId=18768

"dean" wrote in message
Hello all - second to my last thread about getting wood into a
basement, I also have to get wood up 5 stairs into my ground level
living room. Generally I have 2 wheel barrows, one up the stairs and
one down, and I throw the wood up and then wheel it into to house in
that one. I need around 2-3 cords a winter in the living room, so its
quite a few loads.

The ramps I've seen in Norther Tool are around $1000, so they can toss
off. Hence I'm looking for ideas. I can put a ramp up the stairs but it
has to be light enough to move out of the way easily.

Thanks for any tips!

Dean

dean

Bill - do you find them a bit deep to reach into? Sounds like a good
idea though.

Awhile back I used one of these for a few years:
http://www.northlineexpress.com/deta...D~5CV-WC20.asp

Worked very nicely up and down steps, for me, with the lengths I was
carrying.

HTH,

Stormin Mormon

Froogle search for "firewood carrier" revealed:

http://www.northlineexpress.com/deta...&kw=5MM-LCR-24

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._ite =Froogle

http://www.pointshop.com/Mall/Catalo...000045133.html

Canvass carrier, with a couple handles. My parents have one, and it sure
makes it easier to carry wood to the fireplace.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all - second to my last thread about getting wood into a
basement, I also have to get wood up 5 stairs into my ground level
living room. Generally I have 2 wheel barrows, one up the stairs and
one down, and I throw the wood up and then wheel it into to house in
that one. I need around 2-3 cords a winter in the living room, so its
quite a few loads.

The ramps I've seen in Norther Tool are around $1000, so they can toss
off. Hence I'm looking for ideas. I can put a ramp up the stairs but it
has to be light enough to move out of the way easily.

Thanks for any tips!

Dean

G Hensley

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Canvass carrier, with a couple handles. My parents have one, and it sure
makes it easier to carry wood to the fireplace.

Careful they don't confuse that log on top of your pencil neck for a stump.
dadiOH

dean wrote:
Yeah I thought of those, but pusing a wheel barrow of firewood is
quite hard up a steep ramp, I've tried it before. I want something at
least 16' long.

So use two plywood panels. Rip to width desired, bolt a short length of
2x4 on each side at the join.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dean

Lol I carry around 5 big wheel barrows full of wood! Doing that by
canvas carrier is gonna take a REAL long time!

dean

dadiOH are you saying make a plywood ramp 16' long with just 2x4 sides?

dadiOH

dean wrote:
dadiOH are you saying make a plywood ramp 16' long with just 2x4
sides?

No, not exactly....make a 16' plywood ramp with two short (3'? 4'?)
lengths of 2x4 bolted underneath - one at each side - to hold the two
pieces of ply together. By bolting, you can easily separate the 2 ply
pieces for storage. Use 3/4" ply - it will bounce a bit but will hold
you and your wheelbarow load of wood easily. If you want less bounce,
use longer 2x4s.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

George E. Cawthon

dean wrote:
Hello all - second to my last thread about getting wood into a
basement, I also have to get wood up 5 stairs into my ground level
living room. Generally I have 2 wheel barrows, one up the stairs and
one down, and I throw the wood up and then wheel it into to house in
that one. I need around 2-3 cords a winter in the living room, so its
quite a few loads.

The ramps I've seen in Norther Tool are around $1000, so they can toss
off. Hence I'm looking for ideas. I can put a ramp up the stairs but it
has to be light enough to move out of the way easily.

Thanks for any tips!

Dean

This is fun, if living room is at ground level,
you shouldn't have 5 steps up to it. You planning
on stacking it in the living room? How about the
upstairs is that your next question, do you need
2-3 cords up there also?
dean

George go take a hike will ya and stop posting in my threads. I am
genuinely asking these questions. My GROUND floor is up a few steps at
the front entrance, but its still what I call the ground floor. Don't
be so dopey.

Dean

dean

How thick is this piece of plywood? I suppose you mean I use a couple
of 4x8' x 3/4" ply? I would think that would bound and break with all
that weight. But it could work with some supports midway I guess.

dadiOH

dean wrote:
How thick is this piece of plywood?

I specifically suggested 3/4"
___________________

I suppose you mean I use a couple
of 4x8' x 3/4" ply?

Now you're getting it. Except I personally wouldn't make it 48" wide.
No need...all you need is wide enough for your feet and the barrow tire.
Maybe 16"-24"...that way it is lighter, smaller and you only need one
sheet of 4'x8'.
_________________

I would think that would bound and break with all
that weight.

You ever try to break a piece of 3/4" ply? Ever watch workmen barrowing
loads of concrete up a flimsy little ramp?
___________________

But it could work with some supports midway I guess.

No need, especially if you keep the ply in the 16"-24" width suggested
above. If you are really worried, attach a full length 2x4 underneath
at each side of each piece of plywood. A girder IOW. Do that and you
don't need 3/4" ply...1/4" would work and 1/2" would be plenty.

Attach the two ramp pieces together by another short length of 2x4
bolted through the sides of the underneath 2x4s at the join. Or use 2x4
cross pieces at each end of the ply and bolt those together. Patent
pending

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dean

I'm gonna go home and bounce a bit on some ply wood! Thanks muchly for
all the help!

Dean

Bill

The trash can idea... I can't reach the bottom 6 inches or so, but can
tip it over and use a stick to get the rest out. But when it gets that low,
it is time to refill it anyway...

ups.com...