Default Toro Mower won't self-propel

I have a 22" Toro Personal Pace Recycler mower. The mower stopped
self-propelling after about three hours of use (engine runs fine, blade
cuts fine). When the operator pushes on the handle, this is supposed to
start the mower moving forward, but nothing happens. Any suggestions on
how to proceed?

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 22" Toro Personal Pace Recycler mower. The mower stopped
self-propelling after about three hours of use (engine runs fine, blade
cuts fine). When the operator pushes on the handle, this is supposed to
start the mower moving forward, but nothing happens. Any suggestions on
how to proceed?

Three hours of use? It must be under warranty unless you bought it used.
Hot to proceed? Take it back to the dealer.

I will certainly do that (and it is indeed under warranty), but putting
it out of service during the lawn's active season is something I hoped
to avoid. Is there perhaps some kind of adjustment to the drive
mechanism that I can try?

Stormin Mormon

Replace the V-belt.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 22" Toro Personal Pace Recycler mower. The mower stopped
self-propelling after about three hours of use (engine runs fine, blade
cuts fine). When the operator pushes on the handle, this is supposed to
start the mower moving forward, but nothing happens. Any suggestions on
how to proceed?

Where's the V-belt?

Paul Oman

my self propelled mower would sometimes have the cable that turns on the
self propel slip. Seems like I had to adjust the tension and (I think)
jury rig some spring that was gone that pulled a lever or something also
attached to the cable.

paul
Tim Fischer

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 22" Toro Personal Pace Recycler mower. The mower stopped
self-propelling after about three hours of use (engine runs fine, blade
cuts fine). When the operator pushes on the handle, this is supposed to
start the mower moving forward, but nothing happens. Any suggestions on
how to proceed?

Way too many variables. Some:

1) the cable/linkage between the handle and the transmission
2) The drive belt between the engine and the transmission
3) Shot tranny
4) etc.

I'm guessing Toro has an 800 CS number you could call to see if there's any
user adjustments? Or RTFM?

-Tim

Amun

wrote in message
oups.com...
I will certainly do that (and it is indeed under warranty), but putting
it out of service during the lawn's active season is something I hoped
to avoid. Is there perhaps some kind of adjustment to the drive
mechanism that I can try?

Check for some sort of tensioning spring that may have come off or is
binding.

But I wouldn't play with it at all if it's under warranty.

It may not propel itself but you should still be able to push it manually,
and cut your grass.

Bring it in for service and even if it takes a few weeks your lawn is hardly
going to turn into a jungle.

AMUN

SJF

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 22" Toro Personal Pace Recycler mower. The mower stopped
self-propelling after about three hours of use (engine runs fine, blade
cuts fine). When the operator pushes on the handle, this is supposed to
start the mower moving forward, but nothing happens. Any suggestions on
how to proceed?

I had exactly the same experience (three hour, more or less, stall) with my
Sear's Craftsman. I expect the mechanisms are much the same. I found a
simple, no tools, adjustment in the manual. Instructions were also decaled
on the handlebar controller.

Squeezing the control cable increases the effective diameter of a split
v-pulley, first taking up the slack on the v-belt and then increasing the
drive speed. There is apparently some initial wearing in of the parts
requiring an early adjustment. In two years, I have not had to make another
adjustment after that initial one.

SJF

SJF

"SJF" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Correction --

Just checked my mower manual. For those who care about details, squeezing
the control cable creates tension on the v-belt engaging the drive and then
changing the drive ratio by spreading the halves of a split v-pulley. This
is the way I read it.

SJF

Rae Rae is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I have a 22" Toro Personal Pace Recycler mower. The mower stopped
self-propelling after about three hours of use (engine runs fine, blade
cuts fine). When the operator pushes on the handle, this is supposed to
start the mower moving forward, but nothing happens. Any suggestions on
how to proceed?
We just got a Toro Super Recycler 2055 model (self-propel) mower on June 9. I don't know when it stopped working because my husband has been using it but I noticed today he looked like he was working too hard, and having to push it. I stopped him and tried it. He WAS pushing it because the self propel does NOT work. He wasn't familiar with these type of mowers so no telling when it stopped self propelling. I know it worked on day one when we first tried it. But some time between day one and now, less than 30 days, the self propel feature has stopped working.

I'm really surprised because my Toro in the past I had years ago never had this problem. It was self propelled as opposed to this type which I think they call walk behind. This is supposed to keep pace with you. I think its desgined differently. If I remember correctly, the old self propelled mowers would go if you pulled on the propel lever, whether you were walking behind it or not, whereas these need a user to nudge them and stop working if you let go. Whatever, it apparently has some design flaw to mess up this quickly.

I'm very disappointed. Spent over $500 on this thing. Now I just want my money back. Dealer is coming out this week to see what's wrong. That is nice but I hope we're not stuck with a lemon. To need repair this quickly does not seem right.

Rae
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a Sears, which is, I think, a Toro clone.
If both wheels stopped propelling, it's probably the main linkage, proly
somthing simple like a slipped cotter pin.

In my case, vines got bound up in one front wheel, and bent it, causing a
nylon sprocket to "miss" the planetary-type gear on the rim on one wheel.
Took a while to figger out, but bending the wheel bracket back solved it.

Yeah, not that spectacularly well made, but I'm getting used to it.
Pretty classy, tho, that the dealer is coming out to you--impressive.

Pushing a self-propelled is some workout, eh?
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Rae" wrote in message

Wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, to the OP, you just gotta start taking things apart from the cable end.
Cable might have popped loose, might be a lovejoy coupling that sheared/fell
off, or a cotter pin, maybe a stripped gear (which you might be able to
hear), etc.
Otherwise, give toro a call.
--
------

"Rae" wrote in message

Wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rae" wrote in message

Wrote:
[...]

My toro has had a problem twice something jumped out of its hole on
the handle, causing the handle assembly to bind, and the drive not to
engage. It only took a moment to pop it back into place.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:27:55 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Oh, to the OP, you just gotta start taking things apart from the cable end.

Not if it is only 3 hours old. Give the dealer a call.

Cable might have popped loose, might be a lovejoy coupling that sheared/fell
off, or a cotter pin, maybe a stripped gear (which you might be able to
hear), etc.
Otherwise, give toro a call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

"Rae" wrote in message

Wrote:
[...]

You probably just need to adjust the self-propel cable. Read the owner's
manual for how to do it -- it's very easy. Maybe whoever assembled the
mower didn't tighten the nut on the handle that holds the cable in
place.

It's also possible that the self propel cable snapped off but unlikely
on a new mower -- mine did but my mower is 7 years old. A new cable is
easy to install.

I guess it's also possible that the drive belt either broke or slipped
off but, again, unlikely on a new machine.

The Toro Super Recycler is a great machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ermalina" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:

"Rae" wrote in message

Wrote:
[...]

You're speaking to the O.P. I assume?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got a brand NEW mower from WM. "Out of the box" the drive didn't work.

As it is a 2 hour round trip back to the store, I investigated it myself and
found that the outside portion of the drive control cable wasn't properly
install and had gotten loose from the frame. I "fixed" it with one of
those plastic wire ties used for bundling electric wires.

There isn't much to these drive systems: just a belt to the "transmission"
and something you control that changes the tension on the belt.