Posted to alt.home.repair
Ermalina Ermalina is offline

Default Toro Mower won't self-propel

Bob F wrote:

"Rae" wrote in message

Wrote:
I have a 22" Toro Personal Pace Recycler mower. The mower stopped
self-propelling after about three hours of use (engine runs fine,
blade
cuts fine). When the operator pushes on the handle, this is
supposed
start the mower moving forward, but nothing happens. Any
suggestions
on
how to proceed?

We just got a Toro Super Recycler 2055 model (self-propel) mower on
June 9. I don't know when it stopped working because my husband has
been using it but I noticed today he looked like he was working too
hard, and having to push it. I stopped him and tried it. He WAS
pushing
it because the self propel does NOT work. He wasn't familiar with
these
type of mowers so no telling when it stopped self propelling. I know
it
worked on day one when we first tried it. But some time between day
one
and now, less than 30 days, the self propel feature has stopped
working.

I'm really surprised because my Toro in the past I had years ago
never
had this problem. It was self propelled as opposed to this type
which I
think they call walk behind. This is supposed to keep pace with you.
think its desgined differently. If I remember correctly, the old
self
propelled mowers would go if you pulled on the propel lever, whether
you were walking behind it or not, whereas these need a user to
nudge
them and stop working if you let go. Whatever, it apparently has
some
design flaw to mess up this quickly.

I'm very disappointed. Spent over $500 on this thing. Now I just
want
my money back. Dealer is coming out this week to see what's wrong.
That
is nice but I hope we're not stuck with a lemon. To need repair this
quickly does not seem right.

My toro has had a problem twice something jumped out of its hole on
the handle, causing the handle assembly to bind, and the drive not to
engage. It only took a moment to pop it back into place.

Bob

You probably just need to adjust the self-propel cable. Read the owner's
manual for how to do it -- it's very easy. Maybe whoever assembled the
mower didn't tighten the nut on the handle that holds the cable in
place.

It's also possible that the self propel cable snapped off but unlikely
on a new mower -- mine did but my mower is 7 years old. A new cable is
easy to install.

I guess it's also possible that the drive belt either broke or slipped
off but, again, unlikely on a new machine.

The Toro Super Recycler is a great machine.