kecp36

Default European Appliances in the US

I have 3 French appliances (Miele) which I brought to New York: 1
dishwasher, 1 dryer & 1 washing machine.

Has anybody been successful at hooking up this type of applicance here
in the US?
They take 220V, 50Hz and 3000W in average each( I have 4000 W
transformers which seem to do the trick even if they won't convert the
50Hz into 60Hz (any risk here?).
Would it be better to install a 240V line directly to the machines
instead of using the transformers?

Also, the plumbing side is somewhat challenging (the washing machine
and dishwasher both take 3/4" instead of the standard 3/8" here) which
I overcame in piling up some plumbing adaptors. A little leaking
though.

Please HELP if you survived such an experience.

Thanks

Joseph Meehan

kecp36 wrote:
I have 3 French appliances (Miele) which I brought to New York: 1
dishwasher, 1 dryer & 1 washing machine.

Has anybody been successful at hooking up this type of applicance here
in the US?
They take 220V, 50Hz and 3000W in average each( I have 4000 W
transformers which seem to do the trick even if they won't convert the
50Hz into 60Hz (any risk here?).
Would it be better to install a 240V line directly to the machines
instead of using the transformers?

Also, the plumbing side is somewhat challenging (the washing machine
and dishwasher both take 3/4" instead of the standard 3/8" here) which
I overcame in piling up some plumbing adaptors. A little leaking
though.

Please HELP if you survived such an experience.

Thanks

You really need to check with the manufacturers to assure that they can
successfully be operated on 60 cycle.

If they will operate properly on 60 cycle then you really want to bring
in a 240V line (might also check about the 240 vs 220) not try and use a
transformer.

You should be able to solve the leaking adapter problems as what you are
talking about is not all that unusual, Don't try using it until you have
the leak thing fixed. As a professional plumber if needed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

SQLit

"kecp36" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 3 French appliances (Miele) which I brought to New York: 1
dishwasher, 1 dryer & 1 washing machine.

Has anybody been successful at hooking up this type of applicance here
in the US?
They take 220V, 50Hz and 3000W in average each( I have 4000 W
transformers which seem to do the trick even if they won't convert the
50Hz into 60Hz (any risk here?).
Would it be better to install a 240V line directly to the machines
instead of using the transformers?

Also, the plumbing side is somewhat challenging (the washing machine
and dishwasher both take 3/4" instead of the standard 3/8" here) which
I overcame in piling up some plumbing adaptors. A little leaking
though.

Please HELP if you survived such an experience.

Thanks

No offence intended
For what it cost ya to ship them, it probably would have ended up being
cheaper to sell them there.

Other poster is right on.... check with the manufacture. Motors and heating
elements do not care about the frequency. Clocks, and timers do.

I am at a loss on your transformer explanation. If you have 240v there
already why are you using a transformer? Transformers generally do not
convert frequency.

Replacing the valves should solve the problem.

Just wait until you need service.

I worked on a pastry "sheeting" machine, used for croissants. The special
French motor toasted. Nothing, I mean NOTHING was available in North America
would replace the motor. The owner of the shop called France and ordered a
new motor, not much bigger around than a loaf of bread. Cost for the motor
was $3500.00, that is US dollars not Francs. Shipping cause they were not
making pastry was another $900.00. After I got it working again I
suggested that the owner lay in a stock of parts that might be needed.

Good luck, If I lived in France I would have French equipment. At least your
in the Apple if anywhere will have parts for your stuff they will. Now at
what cost.

Beachcomber

[...]

Agreed... If you like that brand (Miehle), it would have been better
for you to buy the North American versions as the manufactuer has the
burden of figuring out the conversion requirments.

That being said.... The 50/60 Hz issue may or may not be an issue
with the motors. Many motors made in the USA are stamped 50/60 Hz
simply because they may be exported to 50 Hz countries. The reverse
may not be true. French electrical stuff is weird and sometimes does
not interface well to the North American standard. If you have a an
electric/mechanical timer, it may run at the wrong speed. Pump motors
could overheat or, worst case, start a fire.

Beachcomber

Stormin Mormon

"The French appliances surrendered, but the American home owner continues
the battle"

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"kecp36" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 3 French appliances (Miele) which I brought to New York: 1
dishwasher, 1 dryer & 1 washing machine.

Has anybody been successful at hooking up this type of applicance here
in the US?
They take 220V, 50Hz and 3000W in average each( I have 4000 W
transformers which seem to do the trick even if they won't convert the
50Hz into 60Hz (any risk here?).
Would it be better to install a 240V line directly to the machines
instead of using the transformers?

Also, the plumbing side is somewhat challenging (the washing machine
and dishwasher both take 3/4" instead of the standard 3/8" here) which
I overcame in piling up some plumbing adaptors. A little leaking
though.

Please HELP if you survived such an experience.

Thanks

Appliances opinions requested David Zeit Home Ownership 7 September 26th 05 03:56 AM
kitchen appliances - electrics advice Pete UK diy 1 July 30th 04 06:16 PM
European Oak Veneer John Woodworking 0 January 18th 04 01:21 AM
Commercial range in residence, and other appliances Jon Endres, PE Home Ownership 20 July 8th 03 08:04 PM