Oscar_Lives

Default This should be REQUIRED CURRICULUM in every US school.

American middle and high school students everywhere should be required to
watch videotape of the poor people stranded by Hurricane Katrina. Teachers
should point out that many U.S. citizens without the financial means to get
out of New Orleans wound up floating face down in the water or, at the very
least, were subject to gross indignities and suffering of all kinds.

The teachers should then tell the students that the local, state and federal
government bureaucracies failed to protect those poor people even though
everybody knew the storm was coming days in advance. The lesson should then
segue into how the most powerful nation in the world was powerless to stop
9/11 and scores of other natural and manmade disasters throughout our
history.

After presenting those undeniable facts, the teachers should then present
two questions: Do you want to be poor? And do you believe the U.S.
government can protect you if you are poor?

For far too long, charlatan ideologues and dishonest politicians have sold
the concept that government can and will make your life better. Well, if a
cot in the Astrodome is the standard, maybe the promises are true. But if
you expect the government to provide you comfort and protect you - P.T.
Barnum had your number when he said, "there's a sucker born every minute."

The affluent of New Orleans had options. Most of them got out ahead of the
storm simply by turning their ignition keys. But a professor friend of mine
stayed. However, when things got rough and the levees breached, he was able
to drive right out of town in his SUV.

But if you couldn't afford a vehicle, you might have wound up in the
Superdome, where there were few supplies and little security. With 20,000
folks in the building, bathrooms quickly broke down, and so did civility. I
covered the story almost nonstop for days. I didn't see one affluent person
in the Superdome. Not one.

The Bible says "the poor, they will always be with us," but it doesn't have
to be that way here in America. Here we have compulsory, free public
schools, scholarships and aid galore for higher education. We also have
affirmative action, job training, GED opportunities, military training and
options all over the place.

It is no accident that millions of poor people from all over the world sneak
into America because they can make money here if they work hard. There are
opportunities for people who can't even speak English.

Yet the racial hustlers and far left demagogues continue to sell
victimization to Americans living in the poor precincts. The poverty pimps
can't blame the establishment fast enough for ghettos and deprivation and
even hurricanes. But you rarely hear the words "personal responsibility"
when it comes to attacking the poverty problem.

Here's the end zone on this: The government can force your parents to send
you to school but can't force you to learn. If you do not educate yourself
or develop a marketable skill, chances are you will be poor and powerless.
If you react to that situation by committing crimes or becoming addicted,
you will sink further into the swamp of hopelessness and your life will be
largely meaningless.

Let the kids see the poor in New Orleans and the suffering they endured.
Then prod the children to connect the dots and wise up. Educate yourself,
work hard,and be honest. Then, when disaster occurs, you will have a
fighting chance to beat it.

If you don't do those things, the odds are that you will be desperately
standing on a symbolic rooftop someday yourself. And trust me, help will not
be quick in coming.

BY BILL O'REILLY
Published Friday, September 9, 2005

Peter

Wow, that O'Reilly is so... deep...

This is the same guy who masturbates while having phone sex
on a regular basis, isn't it?

Wow. So... deep...

Published Friday, September 9, 2005

This is typical blather from America's most visible and vocal racist since
George Wallace. Let's paint O'Reilly in blackface, strip him of his dollars
and his identity, and see how he fares when dropped off in a flooded ghetto.
Let him tell people to their faces that they're failures because it's in the
Bible. He may be a financial success, but he's a gross failure as a human
being.

God, what horse patootie. It's straight from the Aryan Nation textbook.
And it doesn't belong in this newsgroup. Sorry, I thought I was in a
different forum.

Keith

Published Friday, September 9, 2005

This is typical blather from America's most visible and vocal racist since
George Wallace. Let's paint O'Reilly in blackface, strip him of his
dollars and his identity, and see how he fares when dropped off in a
flooded ghetto. Let him tell people to their faces that they're failures
because it's in the Bible. He may be a financial success, but he's a
gross failure as a human being.

God, what horse patootie. It's straight from the Aryan Nation textbook.
And it doesn't belong in this newsgroup. Sorry, I thought I was in a
different forum.

Baby, please don't go
Baby, please don't go
Baby, please don't go, down to New Orleans
You know I love you so

Before I be your dog
Before I be your dog
Before I be your dog
I get you way'd out here, and let you walk alone

Turn your lamp down low
Turn your lamp down low
Turn your lamp down low
I beg you all night long, baby, please don't go

You brought me way down here
You brought me way down here
You brought me way down here
'bout to Rolling Forks, you treat me like a dog

Baby, please don't go
Baby, please don't go
Baby, please don't go, back the New Orleans
I beg you all night long

Before I be your dog
Before I be your dog
Before I be your dog
I get you way'd out here, and let you walk alone

You know your man down gone
You know your man down gone
You know your man down gone
To the country farm, with all the shackles on

Tolos

"Peter" wrote
Wow, that O'Reilly is so... deep...

This is the same guy who masturbates while having phone sex
on a regular basis, isn't it?

Wow. So... deep...

Only when he sticks toys up himself. So deep...so deep

I wonder what the twits explanation is for those in CA that build their
mansions to slide down the hills. Poor, poor education, or just plain
stupid people.

Peter

"Tolos" wrote in message news

"Peter" wrote
Wow, that O'Reilly is so... deep...

This is the same guy who masturbates while having phone sex
on a regular basis, isn't it?

Wow. So... deep...

Only when he sticks toys up himself. So deep...so deep

Such a role model for our kids, eh? Yeah, this is the guy we want
making curriculum decisions in our schools... A masturbating
phone sex pervert.

I wonder what the twits explanation is for those in CA that build their
mansions to slide down the hills. Poor, poor education, or just plain
stupid people.

Heh.

If he's saying government is essentially useless in trying to stop
natural selection, he has a good point. Maybe someday he'll
realize pundit ranting is even less effective.

Published Friday, September 9, 2005

In spite of the negative comments of others, there is a very good point to
be made here. While some of the poor people mentioned have serious problems
beyond their control, too many are victims of their own self made problems.
A big one is lack of education because they chose to drop out of school.
Thanks for posting it.

ameijers

[...]

(snip)
Hmm- can't argue with teaching kids that learning a marketable skill is a
good survival tactic. But along with that, maybe we need to teach them to
DON'T FRIGGING BUILD YOUR HOUSE BELOW SEA LEVEL, OR MOVE INTO A NEIGHBORHOOD
BELOW SEA LEVEL. (Or the Califirnia variant, don't build your house on
telephone poles on the side of a bare mountain, or over a fault line.)

aem sends...

Gort

Peter wrote:
Wow, that O'Reilly is so... deep...

This is the same guy who masturbates while having phone sex
on a regular basis, isn't it?

Wow. So... deep...

No, you're confusing him with Bill Clinton.

inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.

Edwin Pawlowski

"k" wrote in message
link.net...
People don't 'choose' to drop out. People 'have' to drop out. Many
reasons, but poverty is the main one. Don't display your ignorance of
social problems in this news group.

Bull Crap. Read the job applications. I interview some of these dropouts.
I ask them why they did not finish school. They CHOOSE to drop out. I
see them all the time. I rarely hire them. Sure, in some cases it is a
real problem, (and I did hire this young man) but most are just too damned
lazy to finish school. I get answers like "it was too hard" or "the
teachers were not very good" or "I didn't like the way the school was run"
How about "I don't think I need no English classes"

Next question I ask is about getting a GED. Typical answers are "my
probation officer tell me I should" and some have genuine reasons like "I
ain't gota car so I can't get there". Of course "there" is less than a mile
walk.

Don't display your ignorance in newsgroups.

RP

k wrote:

People don't 'choose' to drop out. People 'have' to drop out. Many
reasons, but poverty is the main one. Don't display your ignorance of
social problems in this news group.

That's a rather naive stance. Have you interviewed every drop-out? Even
if you base this on reports of the reasons, how many are going to tell
the truth? Don't you think that people will rationalize in order to save
face? Do you really expect them to say "I dropped out because I got
tired of that bull****."
Certainly there are hardship cases, but you've implied that they are all
hardship cases. I OTOH doubt that even half of them fall into this category.

hvacrmedic

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

After presenting those undeniable facts, the teachers should then present
two questions: Do you want to be poor? And do you believe the U.S.
government can protect you if you are poor?
BY BILL O'REILLY

FDR

"Gort" wrote in message
Peter wrote:
Wow, that O'Reilly is so... deep...

This is the same guy who masturbates while having phone sex
on a regular basis, isn't it?

Wow. So... deep...

No, you're confusing him with Bill Clinton.

See, the difference is that Clinton actually has sex with women. O'Reilly
is so pathetic that he has to harass a coworker who doesn't like him so that
he can get off.

inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.

Dr. Hardcrab

"Tolos" wrote in message
news

"Peter" wrote
Wow, that O'Reilly is so... deep...

This is the same guy who masturbates while having phone sex
on a regular basis, isn't it?

Wow. So... deep...

Only when he sticks toys up himself. So deep...so deep

I wonder what the twits explanation is for those in CA that build their
mansions to slide down the hills. Poor, poor education, or just plain
stupid people.

I was surfin the channels the other night and BO had John Stossel on (from
20/20) and both were saying that is was rediculous that the government gives
money to people to rebuild when they are in a "danger zone" (where natural
disasters happen all the time) over and over again. He said (something to
the effect) "and that includes people that live in Malibu that build their
million dollar plus houses on the side of hills where mudslides happen or
anywhere along the San Andreas fault line where they will be destroyed in an
earthquake."
John Stossel said he had a big house in the Hamptons that (basically) lost
the entire first floor to a storm (wind and water damage) and FEMA gave him
$250,000 to rebuild. As O'Reilly said "Where do they get that money to let
people rebuild over and over again" and Stossel says "You and me and the
rest of the tax payers."

Not defending Bill O'Reilly, but occaisionally he says something that makes
sense.....

djay

I agree with this line of thought. Kids should be taught at an early age
that the government can't offer them a handout all their lives. Education
will put these very kids in charge of their own destiny and not keep them
dependent on someone else (govt) for a handout. Reading, writing,
arithmetic and being able to understand follow simple, but important,
instructions like... "you need to evacuate right now" will help them in
their future.

Djay

Published Friday, September 9, 2005

Dumbo

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
As O'Reilly said "Where do they get that money to let
people rebuild over and over again" and Stossel says "You and me and the
rest of the tax payers."

Not defending Bill O'Reilly, but occaisionally he says something that makes
sense.....

Wow, to say "occasionally" something that makes sense has become an
achievemnet these days?

Of course if we compare with a commander in chief that "rarely" says
something that make sense, "occasionally" is an achievemnt.

FDR

"djay" wrote in message
I agree with this line of thought. Kids should be taught at an early age
that the government can't offer them a handout all their lives. Education
will put these very kids in charge of their own destiny and not keep them
dependent on someone else (govt) for a handout. Reading, writing,
arithmetic and being able to understand follow simple, but important,
instructions like... "you need to evacuate right now" will help them in
their future.

I think that their aspirations are set too low. Maybe that's all they want
out of life.

Djay

Published Friday, September 9, 2005

Dr. Hardcrab

"Dumbo" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
As O'Reilly said "Where do they get that money to let
people rebuild over and over again" and Stossel says "You and me and the
rest of the tax payers."

Not defending Bill O'Reilly, but occaisionally he says something that
makes
sense.....

Wow, to say "occasionally" something that makes sense has become an
achievemnet these days?

Of course if we compare with a commander in chief that "rarely" says
something that make sense, "occasionally" is an achievemnt.

O.K.

and if Bush hadn't of stolen the election Al Gore would have saved the
world.

I gotcha

*PLONK*

Dumbo

RP wrote:
k wrote:

People don't 'choose' to drop out. People 'have' to drop out. Many
reasons, but poverty is the main one. Don't display your ignorance of
social problems in this news group.

That's a rather naive stance. Have you interviewed every drop-out? Even
if you base this on reports of the reasons, how many are going to tell
the truth? Don't you think that people will rationalize in order to save
face? Do you really expect them to say "I dropped out because I got
tired of that bull****."
Certainly there are hardship cases, but you've implied that they are all
hardship cases. I OTOH doubt that even half of them fall into this category.

Even if your were right (you haven't interviewed every drop-out either)
and 51% of the poor people are lazy bums, is this a good reason to
paint all of them with the same brush as the OP and others do?

I was not born here and always makes me wonder why I and other
foreigners seem to have more compassion for unfortunate Americans then
their own people.

Compassionate consarvatives indeed!

Dumbo

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
"Dumbo" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
As O'Reilly said "Where do they get that money to let
people rebuild over and over again" and Stossel says "You and me and the
rest of the tax payers."

Not defending Bill O'Reilly, but occaisionally he says something that
makes
sense.....

Wow, to say "occasionally" something that makes sense has become an
achievemnet these days?

Of course if we compare with a commander in chief that "rarely" says
something that make sense, "occasionally" is an achievemnt.

O.K.

and if Bush hadn't of stolen the election Al Gore would have saved the
world.

I gotcha

I wasn't going to suggest that, but now that you mention it, any other
president would have saved the world from "W"

*PLONK*

Plonk yourself

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dumbo" wrote in message
I was not born here and always makes me wonder why I and other
foreigners seem to have more compassion for unfortunate Americans then
their own people.

Compassionate consarvatives indeed!

I have compassion for the unfortunate. I have no compassion for those that
choose to take a path of no education and poverty. Very few are denied an
education in this country. For most it is FREE. Why then, does a principal
of a Hartford CT school give out coupons for ice cream to bribe kids to come
to school on the first day?

There are plenty of people for health reasons or disability that cannot do
well and truly need assistance. But there are many, many more, that just
don't give a crap and are too lazy to do anything about getting ahead and
take that too easy to get public welfare check.

BTW, I'm not a conservative.

Dumbo

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I have compassion for the unfortunate. I have no compassion for those that
choose to take a path of no education and poverty.

There are plenty of people for health reasons or disability that cannot do
well and truly need assistance. But there are many, many more, that just
don't give a crap and are too lazy to do anything about getting ahead and
take that too easy to get public welfare check.

True, but the solution is not to get rid of all welfare programs IMO.
More poverty usually fathers even more poverty and more ignorance.

The social cost of educating someone in need is much, much less than
the disruption caused by leaving that person ignorant.

BTW, I'm not a conservative.

Noted. I wasn't trying to stick a label on you or anyone else, only to
put ridicule, as deserved, on that "compassionate conservative"
bull****.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dumbo" wrote in message

True, but the solution is not to get rid of all welfare programs IMO.
More poverty usually fathers even more poverty and more ignorance.

True, but the ones that do not want to do anything should be cut off from
free money. Workfare is a good idea.

The social cost of educating someone in need is much, much less than
the disruption caused by leaving that person ignorant.

Agree, but you can't make them read books and learn if they don't want to.
There has to be some motivationor reward for doing well.

Thee are some people that do not have the ability, that is a different
situation.

Oscar_Lives

"Dumbo" wrote in message
oups.com...

RP wrote:
k wrote:

Even if your were right (you haven't interviewed every drop-out either)
and 51% of the poor people are lazy bums, is this a good reason to
paint all of them with the same brush as the OP and others do?

I was not born here and always makes me wonder why I and other
foreigners seem to have more compassion for unfortunate Americans then
their own people.

Because we pay taxes that pay for your lazy asses coming over here and
clogging our welfare lines and your people taking our jobs.

Why don't you foreigners stay the **** away from the US that you hate so
much and go home where it is better.

Dumbo

Oscar_Lives wrote:
"Dumbo" wrote in message
oups.com...

RP wrote:
k wrote:

Even if your were right (you haven't interviewed every drop-out either)
and 51% of the poor people are lazy bums, is this a good reason to
paint all of them with the same brush as the OP and others do?

I was not born here and always makes me wonder why I and other
foreigners seem to have more compassion for unfortunate Americans then
their own people.

Because we pay taxes that pay for your lazy asses coming over here and
clogging our welfare lines and your people taking our jobs.

My, my, my. Some bad foreigner must have got into this poor man welfare
line. What where you doing there? Too lazy to work?

It will be a surprise for you, but there is no such a thing as "our
jobs" anymore. It's called global economy, sweetheart, put up with it
or shut up!

Why don't you foreigners stay the **** away from the US that you hate so
much and go home where it is better.

Because I treasure the opportunity of meeting such refined gentlemen
such as yourself, asshole! Now grab your banana, go back to your cage
and stay there.

Oscar_Lives

"Dumbo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Oscar_Lives wrote:
"Dumbo" wrote in message
oups.com...

RP wrote:
k wrote:

[...]

\

You've already got my "banana" in your mouth...