Cherokee-Ltd

"The length of the Ark shall be 300 cubits, the breadth of it 50 cubits, and
the height of it 30 cubits. A window shall thou make to the Ark and in a
cubit shalt thou finish it above." - God

"Nehmo" wrote in message
Let's say you're building a 1,500 square foot house plus garage on a
sufficiently sized lot from scratch in New Orleans after the water has
been drained. You want to build so that the house would suffer zero
damage should it endure a hurricane of similar size as Katrina.

You would have to build to survive the wind, the flood water, the
wind-caused waves in the water (In Katrina-NOLA, the wind had subsided
before water came in; this may not be the case in the future), and the
impacts of debris.

You need to anticipate looters and unwanted government interference.

The house would have independent utilities, communication, and supplies.
And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if
necessary.

How should this house be built and what should it have?

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Goedjn

Why have a foundation?

It makes it easier to figure out where to park
the house, it keeps the house from sinking . . .

Well, if you built a concrete boat with a flat bottom.....

Possible, but I'd think it would be easier, cheaper,
and less of a shock to the local code inspector if
you build a concrete cellar... no this is N'Orleans,
so there is no cellar.. I'm still voting for
a concrete perimeter foundation, 12" above grade,
with a 24" sealed "barge" platform as the ground floor.
that gives you a displacement of 2cuft per square-foot
or area, which means a total building+occupancy
weight of around 120psf.. so you're limited to
heavy 1-story buildings, or light 2-story ones.
When you outgrow the house, though, you can jack the
whole thing up 10', and build a (floodable) ground
floor underneath, on the existing footings.

Don

"Cherokee-Ltd" wrote
"The length of the Ark shall be 300 cubits, the breadth of it 50 cubits,
and the height of it 30 cubits. A window shall thou make to the Ark and in
a cubit shalt thou finish it above." - God

Tell god to transfer all that stuff into standard architectural dimensions,
please.
Thanks, Mgt.

Don

"Cato" wrote
Don wrote:
"Cherokee-Ltd" wrote
"The length of the Ark shall be 300 cubits, the breadth of it 50
cubits,
and the height of it 30 cubits. A window shall thou make to the Ark and
in
a cubit shalt thou finish it above." - God

Tell god to transfer all that stuff into standard architectural
dimensions,
please.
Thanks, Mgt.

Metric?

Sure, thats better than that biblical stuff.

Duane Bozarth

Don wrote:

"Cato" wrote
Don wrote:
"Cherokee-Ltd" wrote
"The length of the Ark shall be 300 cubits, the breadth of it 50
cubits,
and the height of it 30 cubits. A window shall thou make to the Ark and
in
a cubit shalt thou finish it above." - God

Tell god to transfer all that stuff into standard architectural
dimensions,
please.
Thanks, Mgt.

Metric?

Sure, thats better than that biblical stuff.

I don't know, at least there was always a standard at hand (so to
speak)...
... ...

Hey I got it ! Lets go to E bay find an old Russian nuke sub for sale .
We could buy it burry it so that the con is above ground and we should
be all set .
Or maybe we could just dry dock it so we could float away with the
surge.
I think the best idea yet is to build some where that is above sea
level.

Bill

... ...

Several posts refered to placing utilities several floors above ground
level.
In the city of Providence (Rhode Island for those of you who don't
know) Many buildings in the down town area have thier Electric Rooms two
to three stories above street level. One example is Rhode Island
Hospital.Many other high rise office buildings have done the same.
I can't be sure of the dates but I think it was 1938 and 1954 (Carol)
both storms flooded the city . Some buildigs have plaques showing the
high water marks, some where around 15 feet ?
Providence also has an untested Hurricane barrier consisting of two
large flood gates and a pump house containg two pumps at the mouht of
the Providence river. The idea is to close the gates to keep the storm
surge out of the river and the pumps are supposed to pump out the risig
water.There is also a series of levees and flood gates that close off
streets to from a giant sea wall .

Bill

Don

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Don wrote:

"Cato" wrote
Don wrote:
"Cherokee-Ltd" wrote
"The length of the Ark shall be 300 cubits, the breadth of it 50
cubits,
and the height of it 30 cubits. A window shall thou make to the Ark
and
in
a cubit shalt thou finish it above." - God

Tell god to transfer all that stuff into standard architectural
dimensions,
please.
Thanks, Mgt.

Metric?

Sure, thats better than that biblical stuff.

I don't know, at least there was always a standard at hand (so to
speak)...

heh-heh

wro111

What you do is build a elivated structure with parking underneath. then
you run pre-cast beam between a poured concrete wall. the home is then
concrete walls in a tilt up fashon. no woood other than the cabinet's ,
doors and trim would be wood. you'll have to build over the water level
of the flood. the parking level under the structure is the only way
you'll get pass the codes, since it is uninhabitable space.

wro111's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=94
View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?t=58174