Don

"jo4hn" wrote in message
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

gruhn wrote:

I nominate this thread as the most retarded ever in the history of
these groups.

Second nomination of "Prize winner?" as most retarded thread ever.

I nominate you both as the most retarded posters to a thread ever.

I know you are butt what am I????

;-]

Nah. Robin's butt. Just ask Ms Hartl and Mr Lee.

OK, I know robin hartl's butt quite well but who is mr lee?

Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 19:14:27 GMT, "Nehmo" wrote:

Let's say you're building a 1,500 square foot house plus garage on a
sufficiently sized lot from scratch in New Orleans after the water has
been drained. You want to build so that the house would suffer zero
damage should it endure a hurricane of similar size as Katrina.

You would have to build to survive the wind, the flood water, the
wind-caused waves in the water (In Katrina-NOLA, the wind had subsided
before water came in; this may not be the case in the future), and the
impacts of debris.

You need to anticipate looters and unwanted government interference.

You had a shot up until the "unwanted government interference". There is
nothing that can be built to stand up or resist that.

Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 22:27:47 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

Chris wrote:

Saw a show once about Antarctica. They came across a dead seal, looked
like it died yesterday. Narrator mentioned that it had died 300 years ago.
Wonder if the meat was still good?

How did the narrator know that?

Easy, he counted the rings. ;-)

-Bob

CW

Thanks for that. Best laugh I've had all day.

"Robatoy" wrote in message

I'd drill the little ****er that went "WEE WEE WEE" all the way home...

Grumble

And what percentage of the British population actually own homes?

Roughly 70%. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=821

Why?

Lil' Dave

"Nehmo" wrote in message
Let's say you're building a 1,500 square foot house plus garage on a
sufficiently sized lot from scratch in New Orleans after the water has
been drained. You want to build so that the house would suffer zero
damage should it endure a hurricane of similar size as Katrina.

You would have to build to survive the wind, the flood water, the
wind-caused waves in the water (In Katrina-NOLA, the wind had subsided
before water came in; this may not be the case in the future), and the
impacts of debris.

You need to anticipate looters and unwanted government interference.

The house would have independent utilities, communication, and supplies.
And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if
necessary.

How should this house be built and what should it have?

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Don't live there, don't build there. You're an idiot if you do.

Charlie Self

Adam Weiss wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:
Adam Weiss wrote:

2: The dutch have designed well for slow rising water. They've built
houses that float. Not house boats, mind you. These homes have
floating concrete foundations that will rise and fall with rising water
levels. (I knew that thesis I heard of where a stoner physics student
designd and floated a concrete boat and got credit for it would have
some use somewhere, but I digress).

The English were using concrete boats in 1910 or so, and a Frenchman
patented a wire reinforced concrete boat in 1847. It wasn't exactly a
stoner physic student's brainstorm.

I didn't know that.

But here it is, all online and easily accessed for those too lazy to do
real research in a library:

http://www.concreteships.org/history/

Very interesting and thanks.

You're welcome. One of the benefits of reading Popular Mechanics as a
kid 50 years ago.

HMFIC-1369

Easy.... Find a Mountain in the Rockies build a deep shaft........ Building
in New Orleans disregards your own concerns. You can't account for all the
possibilities of a Hurricane it's to independent and random, best you can do
is work from historical data. By it's own design if a storm impacted the
area, you would become an oasis, and if offering no assistance most likely
you will simply be destroyed using most readily a flammable liquid.

I see you account for your own failure? And the house would need a secure
means of transportation for escape if
necessary. I'd say the best would be a hot air balloon..................

"Nehmo" wrote in message
[...]

Don

"Lil' Dave" wrote
"Nehmo" wrote
How should this house be built and what should it have?

Don't live there, don't build there. You're an idiot if you do.

Then there's 1/2 a million idiots living rather well here in the target zone
of Lee County, Florida.
You can look at history and become smarter for it, or you can go on USENET
and blindly swing pointed sticks.

D. J. MCBRIDE

"Robatoy" wrote in message

I'd drill the little ****er that went "WEE WEE WEE" all the way
home...

You mean you'd "pork" him?

--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Nehmo wrote:
How should this house be built and what should it have?

There's a big clue whenever you see news shots of the flooded city.
What structures are still standing, almost completely untouched?

The big apartment buildings.

Just build multistory buildings, and put all essential building
utilities on the second floor or higher. Let the bottom floor have only
easily repaired interiors and utilities. Connect the second floors
of the buildings using a system of walkways just like in Minneapolis.

You could even build the walkways open air, using the wrought iron
balcony style popular for Mardi Gras in New Orleans. This would make
the city a fun place to visit.

Essentially this is the "house on stilts" idea but on a big enough scale
you could house a population of 500,000 in a densely populated area.

For car storage some buildings would use the lower 3 or 4 stories for
car parks. Again, visit Minneapolis to see this sort of structure.
You'd need fewer cars since this would be a densely populated area with
lots of people able to walk to work.

This is the future.

Of course, this doesn't fit in with the real estate agent / developer
scenaria where every American is isolated on his own lot with 2 acres of
grass to mow every weekend. That's going to prove economically
non-viable when fuel prices rise, anyway.

Max
Don

"MaxChunk" wrote
This is the future.

Might be your future but I'll have no part of it, thanks.

Of course, this doesn't fit in with the real estate agent / developer
scenaria where every American is isolated on his own lot with 2 acres of
grass to mow every weekend.

And then there's the millions of regular persons that want their own space,
to do with as they choose.

That's going to prove economically
non-viable when fuel prices rise, anyway.

Cows have been keeping grasses closely trimmed for millenia, AND they afford
some payback!
(I'm not particularly fond of all that motorized lawn maintenance in the
first place) ;-)

Upscale wrote:

"Nehmo" wrote in message

How should this house be built and what should it have?

A $10,000,000 budget.

This is already provided, Joe Taxpayer is footing the bill.
Dr. Hardcrab

"Don" wrote in message
nk.net...

gruhn wrote:

I nominate this thread as the most retarded ever in the history of
these groups.

Second nomination of "Prize winner?" as most retarded thread ever.

I nominate you both as the most retarded posters to a thread ever.

I know you are butt what am I????

;-]

Nah. Robin's butt. Just ask Ms Hartl and Mr Lee.

OK, I know robin hartl's butt quite well but who is mr lee?

I don't know who Robin is let alone her/his butt.

If it's a him, I WILL let it alone....

Jim Yanik

"skroob" wrote in
:

Surplus army submarine would solve all issues.

The ARMY does not have submarines,they are NAVAL vessels.

(And surplus ones do not get sold to civilians,they either get scrapped or
sold to other nations.)
I imagine the last surplus naval vessels to be sold to civs were the WWII
PT boats or the amphibious DUKWs.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik

"Doug B Taylor" wrote in
:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

Easy answer. Just build it in Antarctica. It has not had a
hurricane
in millions of years.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

BETTER answer.... Just build it in Canada...we have plenty of flood
planes for the moronic and a well established reputation for helping
our neighbours as opposed to using high powered fire arms to solve all
our problems.

Regards,

Doug

I suspect you have no idea of what you are talking about on the gun
comment.("solve all our problems"....!)

(and it's flood PLAINS,not planes.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
CW

I'm sure there are.

"Don" wrote in message
ink.net...

Then there's 1/2 a million idiots living rather well here in the target

zone
of Lee County, Florida.

Robatoy

In article ,
"D. J. MCBRIDE" wrote:

I'd drill the little ****er that went "WEE WEE WEE" all the way
home...

You mean you'd "pork" him?

....my sex life is none of yoink business...
robo hippy

A forgotten tecnique for lumber framing and putting on plywood and
waferboard is to toe nail. Nails driven straight into end grain don't
hold diddly. When you angle all stud wall nails, the holding power is
much greater. The same with sheeting. If all of the nails are driven in
at the same angle, you can knock it out with your hands, and the nails
will still be in the sheet. When the nails are driven in at opposing
angles, the only way to get a sheet back off is to destroy the sheet
because the nails will pull through the sheet, and not come off with
it.
robo hippy

Lee DeRaud

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 18:08:19 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Notan" wrote in message

Underground would prevent *all* wind damage, but the house
would have to be 110% waterproof/watertight, and have some
type of above-ground ventilation system.

House built into the side of a mountain that is above sea level. ~
preferably in a lesser earthquake zone.

Here's a turn-key design, courtesy of Uncle Sam:
https://www.cheyennemountain.af.mil/thedesign.htm

Lee
Lee DeRaud

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 21:26:21 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 19:14:27 GMT, "Nehmo" wrote:

Let's say you're building a 1,500 square foot house plus garage on a
sufficiently sized lot from scratch in New Orleans after the water has
been drained. You want to build so that the house would suffer zero
damage should it endure a hurricane of similar size as Katrina.

You would have to build to survive the wind, the flood water, the
wind-caused waves in the water (In Katrina-NOLA, the wind had subsided
before water came in; this may not be the case in the future), and the
impacts of debris.

You need to anticipate looters and unwanted government interference.

You had a shot up until the "unwanted government interference". There is
nothing that can be built to stand up or resist that.

More to the point, you wouldn't be able to break ground on the house's
foundation without having to deal with it.

Lee
Don

I'm sure you're sure.

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm sure there are.

"Don" wrote in message
ink.net...

Then there's 1/2 a million idiots living rather well here in the target

zone
of Lee County, Florida.

Don

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Don" wrote in message
nk.net...

gruhn wrote:

I nominate this thread as the most retarded ever in the history of
these groups.

Second nomination of "Prize winner?" as most retarded thread ever.

I nominate you both as the most retarded posters to a thread ever.

I know you are butt what am I????

;-]
Nah. Robin's butt. Just ask Ms Hartl and Mr Lee.

OK, I know robin hartl's butt quite well but who is mr lee?

I don't know who Robin is let alone her/his butt.

If it's a him, I WILL let it alone....

If you saw Robin's butt you'd know right away her gender. heh-heh

Robatoy

Chris wrote:

Saw a show once about Antarctica. They came across a dead seal, looked
like it died yesterday. Narrator mentioned that it had died 300 years
ago.
Wonder if the meat was still good?

How did the narrator know that?

Easy, he counted the rings. ;-)

I usually hang up after 3-4 rings.
PaPaPeng

"Nehmo" wrote in message
Let's say you're building a 1,500 square foot house plus garage on a
sufficiently sized lot from scratch in New Orleans after the water has
been drained. You want to build so that the house would suffer zero
damage should it endure a hurricane of similar size as Katrina.

Normal houses should be able to survive a direct hit Cat 2 hurricane
(correct me if I am wrong). A direct hit from anything above that
will cause damage however strong you build it. Once there is damage
and the rainwater/floofwater gets in the inside contents that can
absorb water are toast. And the stronger and heavier your building
the more damage there will be to your house and to your neighbor's as
the parts tear off in the high wind or flood surge. You also don't
want to build a house so heavy that it looks like a prison and cost
more than one. You'll never pass the guidelines for neighbourhood
architectural conformity anyway.

So we can presume that your house will look be built like one of those
antebellum houses that makes New Orleans so charming. It should also
be a two storey house so that you will have a place of refuge in case
of flooding

If I were to rebuild what I will do is to design a house that will
have a concrete structural frame that will stand intact in a Cat 5
storm. Presumably the main panels and outlets for utility llines,
water pipes and other services will be attached to or be protected by
this concrete frame. This is so that while the service runs to the
rest of the house can be destroyed one can easily re-establish new
connections to the main panels and outlets.

Everything else of regular construction can tbe damaged, be blown or
washed away but the frame stands. That way I can easily tear down the
roof and walls and quickly rebuild without having to bulldoze the
whole structure or having to resubmit the building approvals.

A refinement to this house design will be to make the first floor
level a sacrificial part that a storm surge can wash away without
bringing the second floor with it, or damaging the structure of the
house. I saw some TV shots of a breachfront house in the Carolinas
that survived such a surge. That left the house looking like it was
built on stilits. The second floor was damaged and not worth
salvaging. But had someone taken refuge there (none) that person
would have survived. A conventionally build house would have been
totalled and killed everyone within it.

One can understand the desire to stay in and sit out the storm, mainly
to prevent looting, and perhaps to fix fixable damage on the fly
before it becomes a big one. The chances of a direct hurricane hit are
small enough for most homeowners to take this risk. The chances of a
direct hit is nonetheless there and it will seem very stupid by then
to risk life and limb for a house.

Therefore the problem should be recast as how can one stay for a less
threatening storm and yet survive the perfect storm?

The answer will be a storm-proof safe room built on top of this
concrete structure. It will probably be the size of a large bathroom
and made of steel or concrete for protection against flying debris or
tree falls. It should be capable of being buttoned down and float
upright like a boat should it be dislodged. At that level of storm
intensity there is no longer any consideration of living in it to
guard your property. All you want is to survive the perfect storm and
get the hell out, a stay of less than 48 hours.

You would have to build to survive the wind, the flood water, the
wind-caused waves in the water (In Katrina-NOLA, the wind had subsided
before water came in; this may not be the case in the future), and the
impacts of debris.

You need to anticipate looters and unwanted government interference.

The house would have independent utilities, communication, and supplies.
And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if
necessary.

How should this house be built and what should it have?

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Adam Weiss

Nehmo wrote:

How should this house be built and what should it have?

There's a big clue whenever you see news shots of the flooded city. What
structures are still standing, almost completely untouched?

The big apartment buildings.

And big office buildings.

And big hospitals.

And big hotels.

And big police stations are also all standing.

Just build multistory buildings, and put all essential building
utilities on the second floor or higher. Let the bottom floor have only
easily repaired interiors and utilities. Connect the second floors
of the buildings using a system of walkways just like in Minneapolis.

1970s style megastructures. Yeehah!

But really, your idea of putting essential building utilities on the
above the water line in floods is one I had before ( thread titled
"why don't they" on alt.architecture.

I suggested it for certain buildings that are of importance during
catastrophes - hospitals in particular. They are often full of people
who are in various states of disability who would have difficulty
evacuating or may not survive evacuation. Furthermore, hospitals should
be up and running during natural disasters and other catastrophes in
order to be used by those suffering injury during the natural disaster.

In retrospect, it would be a good idea, though not as crucial, for fire
stations and police stations to have the same hurricane resistance and
auxiliary power systems as the hospitals. That way first responders can
better do their jobs.

But doing it for every apartment building? Very excessive. Unless the
people who choose to live in apartment buildings want it and the people
leasing apartments can sell it.

You could even build the walkways open air, using the wrought iron
balcony style popular for Mardi Gras in New Orleans. This would make
the city a fun place to visit.

Essentially this is the "house on stilts" idea but on a big enough scale
you could house a population of 500,000 in a densely populated area.

I shudder to think of the poor old woman stuck on the 17th floor,
surrounded by gangs of roaming youths who are ready to break in at any
moment.

This is what happens when you ignore peoples' desires for open space and
the privacy of private homes and cram them into giant megastructures
where the identity of their home is reduced to a mere number on a door.

Just go over to Yahoo and do a search for "Housing Projects, Chicago" -
you'll see what I mean.

For car storage some buildings would use the lower 3 or 4 stories for
car parks. Again, visit Minneapolis to see this sort of structure.
You'd need fewer cars since this would be a densely populated area with
lots of people able to walk to work.

Car storage?

People use their cars.

And Katrina showed us just how vital cars are to the evacuation of
cities. Simply put, if you were in New Orleans and could get a car out,
you were MUCH better off than you would have been if you were one of the
thousands who didn't have a car or a spot in someone else's car.

Access to transportation was really the issue in New Orleans; not
directly socio-economics or race. The rich new urbanist yuppie lawyer
who refused to drive on principal was stuck in New Orleans. (He was
interviewed on NPR) The cabbie who recently arrived from Pakistan and
works 18 hours a day 6 days a week so his family can live at the poverty
level could use his cab to get out of the city. (I saw him driving down
the road in Houston right after I heard the first guy's interview on the
radio).

This is the future.

No it's not.

Of course, this doesn't fit in with the real estate agent / developer
scenaria where every American is isolated on his own lot with 2 acres of
grass to mow every weekend. That's going to prove economically
non-viable when fuel prices rise, anyway.

Bull****. And I know what you're saying is bull**** because if you
visit France, or Spain, or Germany, you'll see people living in private
suburban houses and driving cars to and from work. Meanwhile they
snicker when America goes into crisis over $3 a gallon prices at the
pump, because that's what they've been paying all along. In fact, many
Europeans pay significantly more than that for gas, and it hasn't
dampened their desire for comfortable, private, individual houses.

Their entire nation of Holland is like the city of New Orleans - below
sea level and prone to very nasty storms and floods. It's also a nation
with all of the high fuel prices and gas taxes as the rest of Europe.
But the Dutch haven't abandoned private houses and cars - they've
adapted them.

Matt Whiting

robo hippy wrote:

A forgotten tecnique for lumber framing and putting on plywood and
waferboard is to toe nail. Nails driven straight into end grain don't
hold diddly. When you angle all stud wall nails, the holding power is
much greater. The same with sheeting. If all of the nails are driven in
at the same angle, you can knock it out with your hands, and the nails
will still be in the sheet. When the nails are driven in at opposing
angles, the only way to get a sheet back off is to destroy the sheet
because the nails will pull through the sheet, and not come off with
it.
robo hippy

Except that this is largely irrelevant when it comes to installing
sheathing. The main force that sheathing needs to resist is shear, not
withdrawal. And nailing at an angle can reduce the ability to resist
shear, not increase it.

Matt

Edwin Pawlowski

"Adam Weiss" wrote in message

But really, your idea of putting essential building utilities on the above
the water line in floods is one I had before ( thread titled "why don't
they" on alt.architecture.

I suggested it for certain buildings that are of importance during
catastrophes - hospitals in particular.

In certain flood prone areas it is already requird by code. Has been for a
number of years in some places. It is js ut common sense if you are prone
to flooding either on the coast or the banks of a river. Houses in Florida
and the New Jersey shore have been rasied on pilings for the same reason.

But doing it for every apartment building? Very excessive. Unless the
people who choose to live in apartment buildings want it and the people
leasing apartments can sell it.

Every building? Yes, but for many it makes a lot of sense. In some areas
there are even basement apartments that are about six feet below grade.
Makes for some interesting things in the bathtub when plumbing problems
happen.

You could even build the walkways open air, using the wrought iron
balcony style popular for Mardi Gras in New Orleans. This would make the
city a fun place to visit.

Las Vegas is using elevated walkways to avoid traffic. It can easily be used
in other areas too. Well, maybe not always easily, but it is not a bad
idea.

Car storage?

People use their cars.

Maybe. In New York it is common to leave a car parked or "stored" for weeks
at a time. Parking, storeage, just variations on termonology.

jo4hn

Don wrote:

gruhn wrote:

I nominate this thread as the most retarded ever in the history of
these groups.

Second nomination of "Prize winner?" as most retarded thread ever.

I nominate you both as the most retarded posters to a thread ever.

I know you are butt what am I????

;-]

Nah. Robin's butt. Just ask Ms Hartl and Mr Lee.

OK, I know robin hartl's butt quite well but who is mr lee?

ummm. Lee Valley ring a bell?
Michael Daly

On 9-Sep-2005, "Don" wrote:

2x8 jambs & head and 4"x1/4" tapcons 6" o/c staggered.
steel clad or solid core outswing door.
triple nickel 40 threshhold.
that'll stop em in their tracks.

Local Hell's Angel hangout was raided - the cops used a backhoe
to open the door. The HA rebuilt with a concrete wall in front
to the door so they couldn't use a backhoe again.

Mike
EagleMtn

I dobt that a concrete wall will stop a backhoe.

Michael Daly

On 9-Sep-2005, "Chris" wrote:

Plus no germs or bacteria.

It isn't that they aren't there - they do exist in certain
crevices in rock faces and survive in tiny microclimates.
Since they aren't too mobile, your dead seal on a beach
can last a long time.

Mike
Don

"EagleMtn" wrote
I dobt that a concrete wall will stop a backhoe.

Built properly, a concrete wall can stop just about anything.
Think: Hoover Dam.
A backhoe is a lightweight device, all things considered.

Don

"jo4hn" wrote in message
Don wrote:

gruhn wrote:

I nominate this thread as the most retarded ever in the history of
these groups.

Second nomination of "Prize winner?" as most retarded thread ever.

I nominate you both as the most retarded posters to a thread ever.

I know you are butt what am I????

;-]

Nah. Robin's butt. Just ask Ms Hartl and Mr Lee.

OK, I know robin hartl's butt quite well but who is mr lee?

ummm. Lee Valley ring a bell?

Ahhhh, ain't I the dumbass?
(now I'm trying to figure the connection between Robin and Mr Lee)
Hmmmm.....

Notan

Don wrote:

"EagleMtn" wrote
I dobt that a concrete wall will stop a backhoe.

Built properly, a concrete wall can stop just about anything.
Think: Hoover Dam.

Constant, evenly dispersed pressure.

A backhoe is a lightweight device, all things considered.

Not.

Notan
Edwin Pawlowski

"Notan" wrote in message
Built properly, a concrete wall can stop just about anything.
Think: Hoover Dam.

Constant, evenly dispersed pressure.

How long will it take a backhoe to get through it?

A backhoe is a lightweight device, all things considered.

Not.

Relative to what? There are many mechanical or structurally made 10 x or
more heavier than even a big backhoe.