scott

Default What snowblower will REALLY handle wet snow?

I have had nothing but trouble with my 8hp Toro when dealing with wet
snow/slush. The belt is kept tight and I spray the augers & shute with
silicone to no avail. I'm ready (if not willing) to shell out some big
bucks for something like a Honda. Here in Connecticut we could be
dealing with over a foot, not to mention the piles that the speeding
snowplows load onto the end of the driveway and the sidewalks.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. (yeah, I know ... "move to
Florida!")

Dan C

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:26:40 -0700, scott wrote:

I have had nothing but trouble with my 8hp Toro when dealing with wet
snow/slush. The belt is kept tight and I spray the augers & shute with
silicone to no avail. I'm ready (if not willing) to shell out some big
bucks for something like a Honda. Here in Connecticut we could be
dealing with over a foot, not to mention the piles that the speeding
snowplows load onto the end of the driveway and the sidewalks.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. (yeah, I know ... "move to
Florida!")

Don't be such a pussy, and use a shovel.

--
All posts that originate from Google Groups are ignored.
Linux Registered User #327951

Joseph Meehan

scott wrote:
I have had nothing but trouble with my 8hp Toro when dealing with wet
snow/slush. The belt is kept tight and I spray the augers & shute
with silicone to no avail. I'm ready (if not willing) to shell out
some big bucks for something like a Honda. Here in Connecticut we
could be dealing with over a foot, not to mention the piles that the
speeding snowplows load onto the end of the driveway and the
sidewalks.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. (yeah, I know ... "move to
Florida!")

I have Toro electric (mid size) single stage and it seems to do OK. If
it gets really sloppy, I pull out the shove. Most of my snow is dry.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Yargnits

I tell ya, nothing beats a dual stage thrower. Mine will cut through
anything that mother nature can toss at Northern Indiana.

I got mine pretty cheap. Start looking for bargain second handers now.
I got mine free from a neighbor that was frustrated that it wouldn't
start after leaving gas in it all summer. Rebuilt the carb ($9) and is
started on the first pull. I've used it for the last 5 years.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:39:15 -0500 Dan C
posted:

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:26:40 -0700, scott wrote:

I have had nothing but trouble with my 8hp Toro when dealing with wet
snow/slush. The belt is kept tight and I spray the augers & shute with
silicone to no avail. I'm ready (if not willing) to shell out some big
bucks for something like a Honda. Here in Connecticut we could be
dealing with over a foot, not to mention the piles that the speeding
snowplows load onto the end of the driveway and the sidewalks.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. (yeah, I know ... "move to
Florida!")

Don't be such a pussy, and use a shovel.

Spray it with Pam. or Shirley.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
carrottop

Cindy wrote in
:

In article .com,
scott says...

I have had nothing but trouble with my 8hp Toro when dealing with wet
snow/slush. The belt is kept tight and I spray the augers & shute
with silicone to no avail. I'm ready (if not willing) to shell out
some big bucks for something like a Honda. Here in Connecticut we
could be dealing with over a foot, not to mention the piles that the
speeding snowplows load onto the end of the driveway and the
sidewalks.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. (yeah, I know ... "move to
Florida!")

Hi Scott,

We have a Sears model we bought 2 years ago for $750 and it handles
all snow including heavy, wet snow well up here in Maine.

Cin

Been using Ariens for years. It's great. I had the driveway enlarged
so it's too big for a snow blower. I plow with my truck now. But
still need the thrower for the sidewalk and near the doorway.
I live along a Great Lake so I know what really heavy snow it like
since most of our snow is the heavy type. We can have just one inch
and it's too heavy to shovel. It frequently snows every day for long
spells.
To me, CT is tropical. LOL .
Amun

"scott" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have had nothing but trouble with my 8hp Toro when dealing with wet
snow/slush. The belt is kept tight and I spray the augers & shute with
silicone to no avail. I'm ready (if not willing) to shell out some big
bucks for something like a Honda. Here in Connecticut we could be
dealing with over a foot, not to mention the piles that the speeding
snowplows load onto the end of the driveway and the sidewalks.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. (yeah, I know ... "move to
Florida!")

Never had a problem with my Toro (8hp - dual stage - power driven)
But I do use the drive speed control setting differently in different
conditions.

Sometimes bull slow is best and other times running after it gets the best
results

We get road plows that can pile snow up three ft or more, and the toro
bores right through.
in the deepest parts all you see is the top of the handle and a stream of
snow flying up.
But I generally get snow out long before it goes to slush.

I have a neighbor who paid over twice as much for a honda and even he admits
my toro will keep up with his

only benefit of the honda is the TRACKS on the honda, rather than TIRES on
the Toro.
if you have stairs or real hills to negotiate.
The downside of tracks is they tend to float over drifts, rather than
digging through

But as you specifically mention slush and wet snow.
are you talking the salt laden stuff that sticks to your car ?

The best for that is the "blowers/throwers" with the rubber paddles/blades.

It depends on what you usually have to move as to what blower is best

AMUN

scott

Don't you have anything better to do with your time than to make a
complete fool of yourself on the internet?

Dan C

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 04:01:58 -0700, scott wrote:

Don't you have anything better to do with your time than to make a
complete fool of yourself on the internet?

Don't you ever wish you had a little common sense, and were able to figure
something out for yourself..., rather than ask dumb questions on the
internet?

I mean really.... If your ****ing snowblower can't handle the heavy wet
snow, then you need a bigger/stronger snowblower. Isn't that ****ing
obvious? Why ask such a stupid question here?