James

Default Good Replacement for older, T-12 96 inch light bulbs ??

I have a four-bank system of 96 inch light bulbs in my kitchen dropped
ceiling, with each bank having its own old-style oil-based ballast. These
are 60 watt bulbs.

I have read some about the newer, electronic ballasts, and I can see their
advantage. I see common comments about T-8 bulbs , to replace T-12's.

Most of what I read about T-8 bulbs, say that they replace the T-12, with a
bi-pin base. But, the bulbs that I have now (the T-12) don't have a bi-pin
base, they have a bigger, single pin base, about the size of a pencil
eraser.

I have several questions:

1. Is there a T-8 bulb that is rated at 60 watts??

2. Do they make the T-8 in the 96 inch size?

3. Is there a T-8 with the type of base that I have described (not bi-pin),
so that I could use my existing fixtures ??

4. My goals are to get equally good or better lighting in my kitchen (I now
use a total of 8 60 watt bulbs); have better, quieter, longer lasting
ballasts; and have longer lasting bulbs.

5. Any othe words of advice about what I should use if I want to improve
this lighting system ??

----------------

Thanks for any advice !!

--james---

James wrote:
I have a four-bank system of 96 inch light bulbs in my kitchen dropped
ceiling, with each bank having its own old-style oil-based ballast. These
are 60 watt bulbs.

I have read some about the newer, electronic ballasts, and I can see their
advantage. I see common comments about T-8 bulbs , to replace T-12's.

Most of what I read about T-8 bulbs, say that they replace the T-12, with a
bi-pin base. But, the bulbs that I have now (the T-12) don't have a bi-pin
base, they have a bigger, single pin base, about the size of a pencil
eraser.

I have several questions:

1. Is there a T-8 bulb that is rated at 60 watts??

Yes.

2. Do they make the T-8 in the 96 inch size?

Yes.

3. Is there a T-8 with the type of base that I have described
(not bi-pin),

Yes.

so that I could use my existing fixtures ??

4. My goals are to get equally good or better lighting in my kitchen (I now
use a total of 8 60 watt bulbs); have better, quieter, longer lasting
ballasts; and have longer lasting bulbs.

5. Any othe words of advice about what I should use if I want to improve
this lighting system ??

----------------

Thanks for any advice !!

--james---

Greetings,

You might be able to realize some of the benefits with much less work
just by switching to these 59W T8 long life (15000 hr) single pin
bulbs.

http://tinyurl.com/9msr4

Hope this helps,
William

James

Thanks, William and RBM. This is good info, and I will look into it.

I welcome any other input.

--James--

John Grabowski

In addition to what others have said, I suggest that you give the reflector
covers a good cleaning if you haven't done so already. The heat from the
ballasts and lamps draw dust to the covers where it collects for years and
reduces light output. It is possible that the plastic tiles in the ceiling
have discolored or are also dirty. You might want to change them.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to James, Sid in Sacramento wrote:
jnipperxxx wrote:

[...]

The cheaper the ballast, the noisier they are. If you really want to save
money, and if your lights are in an enclosed space with frosted plastic
cover, you might want to look at LED lights to put in place of the tubes ?
MHO