James wrote:
I have a four-bank system of 96 inch light bulbs in my kitchen dropped
ceiling, with each bank having its own old-style oil-based ballast. These
are 60 watt bulbs.

I have read some about the newer, electronic ballasts, and I can see their
advantage. I see common comments about T-8 bulbs , to replace T-12's.

Most of what I read about T-8 bulbs, say that they replace the T-12, with a
bi-pin base. But, the bulbs that I have now (the T-12) don't have a bi-pin
base, they have a bigger, single pin base, about the size of a pencil
eraser.

I have several questions:

1. Is there a T-8 bulb that is rated at 60 watts??

Yes.

2. Do they make the T-8 in the 96 inch size?

Yes.

3. Is there a T-8 with the type of base that I have described
(not bi-pin),

Yes.

so that I could use my existing fixtures ??

4. My goals are to get equally good or better lighting in my kitchen (I now
use a total of 8 60 watt bulbs); have better, quieter, longer lasting
ballasts; and have longer lasting bulbs.

5. Any othe words of advice about what I should use if I want to improve
this lighting system ??

Thanks for any advice !!

--james---

Greetings,

You might be able to realize some of the benefits with much less work
just by switching to these 59W T8 long life (15000 hr) single pin
bulbs.

http://tinyurl.com/9msr4

Hope this helps,
William