John Grabowski

In addition to what others have said, I suggest that you give the reflector
covers a good cleaning if you haven't done so already. The heat from the
ballasts and lamps draw dust to the covers where it collects for years and
reduces light output. It is possible that the plastic tiles in the ceiling
have discolored or are also dirty. You might want to change them.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"James" wrote in message

I have a four-bank system of 96 inch light bulbs in my kitchen dropped
ceiling, with each bank having its own old-style oil-based ballast.

These
are 60 watt bulbs.

I have read some about the newer, electronic ballasts, and I can see their
advantage. I see common comments about T-8 bulbs , to replace T-12's.

Most of what I read about T-8 bulbs, say that they replace the T-12, with

bi-pin base. But, the bulbs that I have now (the T-12) don't have a

bi-pin
base, they have a bigger, single pin base, about the size of a pencil
eraser.

I have several questions:

1. Is there a T-8 bulb that is rated at 60 watts??

2. Do they make the T-8 in the 96 inch size?

3. Is there a T-8 with the type of base that I have described (not

bi-pin),
so that I could use my existing fixtures ??

4. My goals are to get equally good or better lighting in my kitchen (I

now
use a total of 8 60 watt bulbs); have better, quieter, longer lasting
ballasts; and have longer lasting bulbs.

5. Any othe words of advice about what I should use if I want to improve
this lighting system ??

Thanks for any advice !!

--james---