Paul Ferguson

Default How to repair a Baldwin door lock?

I have a problem with the Baldwin lock on my front door. I do not know
the model number. It was installed in the past 20 years. I looked at
some sites to identify it, but do not find an exact match. It is
similar to the Atlanta model shown he
http://www.designerhardware.com/Bald...p/bld-6570.htm

The lock is a mortise lock. On the outside there is a hand grip and
thumb piece above it and a key cylinder above the thumb piece. On the
inside there is a round knob and a key cylinder above it. Looking at
the door edge, there is a deadbolt near the top, a latch mechanism
(don't know the real name of this part) below, and two buttons below
the latch mechanism. If the bottom button is pushed, the thumb piece
on the outside of the door can be pressed down to open the door if the
deadbolt is not engaged.

The problem is that when the thumb piece on the outside is pressed
down, it draws in the latch mechanism, but leaves about ¼ inch of the
latch protruding outside the door. The inside knob can be twisted to
withdraw the latch almost all the way into the door. The latch is free
to move because it can be pressed in easily with your finger.

Before I tear into the lock, can anyone offer guidance as to what is
wrong and how best to proceed ?

PaulF

Joseph Meehan

Paul Ferguson wrote:
[...]

As you start taking things apart, You are likely to see that it is a
rather simple construction. You may see the fix or at least see what parts
are involved. Take those parts to a good locksmith and see if they can
provide replacement. If not you may need to replace the lock.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Paul Ferguson

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:37:10 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

As you start taking things apart, You are likely to see that it is a
rather simple construction. You may see the fix or at least see what parts
are involved. Take those parts to a good locksmith and see if they can
provide replacement. If not you may need to replace the lock.

Thanks. I looked at how to take in apart and was not completely sure
what to remove. I squirted some graphite powder in the thumb piece
opening and it seems to be fixed. I should have tried this first, but
it did not seem like the usually sticking problem.

PauF
Joseph Meehan

wrote:

As you start taking things apart, You are likely to see that it
is a rather simple construction. You may see the fix or at least see
what parts are involved. Take those parts to a good locksmith and
see if they can provide replacement. If not you may need to replace
the lock.

Thanks. I looked at how to take in apart and was not completely sure
what to remove. I squirted some graphite powder in the thumb piece
opening and it seems to be fixed. I should have tried this first, but
it did not seem like the usually sticking problem.

PauF

Glad you got it working.

--
Joseph Meehan