Default Looking for repair ideas on a projection TV.

I have a ProScan 60" rear projection TV sold under the RCA brand name. It
has been professionally repaired once with a replacement of a "flyback" and
a "capacitor set". It is 5 years old, and the former repairs were performed
11 months ago. My current experience with the TV is as follows: The TV will
work normally for about a week, and then it will stop responding to the
power button on the front control panel and the remote control. You also do
not hear any of the telltale signs that power has been activated such as
components charging up and (I believe) a relay triggering. If you unplug the
TV for approx. 24 hours and then plug it back in it will operate normally
for the next 1 to 7 days, then it will begin a similar cycle.
Intermittently, it will lose audio during its time of "normal" operations
(which I usually don't notice because I tend to use the TV for video only).
I shy away from professional repair because the last professional repair
cost me over $450 and I don't think the TV is worth too much any longer. Any
suggestions on repair (self or suggested service) are appreciated. I have
done basic circuit board soldering and de-soldering, but do not have any
skills in circuit tracing, etc

James Sweet

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It sounds like something relatively simple, if you know what you're doing
and have a good eye, look for dry or cracked solder joints around the tuner
ground shield (not sure if Proscan PTV's suffer this but direct views
certainly do) if it still has the problem then look for the same thing on
the power supply board. If you don't know what you're doing I highly suggest
having a pro look at it, if the picture is still good when it works it
should still have some life left on it, if you poke around without knowledge
you could easily do a lot more damage.

Baphomet

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 02:44:08 GMT, Gave
us:

[...]

I would check the power supply for the entire unit. Soft on
switches and standby start-up circuitry keeps this power supply up,
and the only thing that changes on start up is the loading. If it
fails, and then requires a rest before working again, it sounds like
dried out electrolytics on the supply or perhaps the IR/soft on
circuitry. Electrolytics are always the first thing I check out on
older power supplies. I know that 5 years isn't very old, but there
have been some bad batches made over the years. I recall a
motherboard recall at one point where the electrolytics had bad paste
mixes in them.

Anyway, that is a likely culprit. Another might be enough dust on a
part that it doesn't give up its heat well, and eventually runs away.

Be careful of the anode leads on those guns. Projection sets have
some mean juice there.

Another alternative is to bypass the soft start altogether, and use
a hard switch on the unit. Some of the convenience takes a hike, but
it makes it a working unit again. Must fully power down (unplug) to
save juice in the interim times though.

Now I just knew that if only we could all be sufficiently patient, you (Dark
Matter) would and could rise to the occasion with a coherent answer
somewhere above the crude monosyllabic responses for which you have become
infamous. Keep up the good work; there may yet be a place for you in the
family homo erectus.

Arthur Jernberg

Default Looking for repair ideas on a projection TV. MR"Dark Matter" specifically

Such a SWEET Attitude! At least I don't hide behind a false name and
shrieking faction of what life is all about. After all, I have made a fairly
good living in repairing these friggin items for over 30 years and do not
appreciate free loaders such as you taking advantage of me or ANY OTHER
TECHNICISAN!!!
Stated many times before is the fact that you get what you pay for in life.
You for shovelling sludge, others for taking the deligence to learn how to
actually design and repair the materials others design. Some of us do
actually give free advice to those who actually appreciate the effort.
However, in your case, well enuf said!!
"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 04:09:52 -0700, "Baphomet"
Gave us:

Now I just knew that if only we could all be sufficiently patient, you

(Dark
Matter) would and could rise to the occasion with a coherent answer
somewhere above the crude monosyllabic responses for which you have

become
infamous. Keep up the good work; there may yet be a place for you in the
family homo erectus.

More proof that it is you that is the goddamned troll here. I have
made hundreds of such posts. Your mother should have flushed your
**** ass, the moment you exited hers.

Baphomet

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 04:09:52 -0700, "Baphomet"
Gave us:

Now I just knew that if only we could all be sufficiently patient, you

(Dark
Matter) would and could rise to the occasion with a coherent answer
somewhere above the crude monosyllabic responses for which you have

become
infamous. Keep up the good work; there may yet be a place for you in the
family homo erectus.

More proof that it is you that is the goddamned troll here. I have
made hundreds of such posts. Your mother should have flushed your
**** ass, the moment you exited hers.

May I suggest some remedial biology?

Arthur Jernberg

Absolutely Correct DM!! Case Closed! Just whoever the heck you are !!!!!!
"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:49:14 -0400, "Arthur Jernberg"
Gave us:

Such a SWEET Attitude! At least I don't hide behind a false name and
shrieking faction of what life is all about. After all, I have made a

fairly
good living in repairing these friggin items for over 30 years and do not
appreciate free loaders such as you taking advantage of me or ANY OTHER
TECHNICISAN!!!
Stated many times before is the fact that you get what you pay for in

life.
You for shovelling sludge, others for taking the deligence to learn how

actually design and repair the materials others design. Some of us do
actually give free advice to those who actually appreciate the effort.
However, in your case, well enuf said!!

I think you are a top posting usenet retard, boy.

I was the one that gave the guy the assistance, dip****.

BLAPOMET or whatever the ****'s name is is the one that came in here
chomping at his troll bit, jumping on me. YOU need to figure out what
the hell you are saying and who you are saying it to. RIGHT AFTER you
read up on the proper way to post to a usenet news group.

By the way, dip****, Usenet has been an anonymous realm for
decades.
Nicknames are perfectly acceptable so get a friggin' clue, boy.

Also, it is "TECHNICIAN", you dumbass.

And "DILIGENCE"

Some of us actually learned a few things as we grew up.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 06:55:20 -0700, DarkMatter
wrote:

[...]

Also note that it's considered poor Usenet form to nitpick spelling
errors. Personally, flamewars and trolling are in poor taste.
Baphomet

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 02:48:51 -0700, "Baphomet"
Gave us:

"DarkMatter" wrote in

message

More proof that it is you that is the goddamned troll here. I have
made hundreds of such posts. Your mother should have flushed your
**** ass, the moment you exited hers.

May I suggest some remedial biology?

What part of "That makes you a piece of ****" do you not understand,
boy?

The part that suggested I exited her ass, troll boy. Now that I think of it,
that may well have been the way you were conceived.

Did you take a few belts of Old English to get up the nerve to start posting
again?

Baphomet

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 06:43:18 GMT, Gave us:

Also note that it's considered poor Usenet form to nitpick spelling
errors. Personally, flamewars and trolling are in poor taste.

Not "form", dingledorf, etiquette.

Dark, you are such a jerk that it is mind numbing.

Baphomet

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:07:21 -0400, JW Gave us:

You're a cowardly little blowhard, a Chihuahua with a tiny little bark,
yipping

I've got nine inches of "tiny bark" for your lame ass, little girl.

Oh, you mean the posts that you don't make, aren't archived by Google,
and if they are, are forged by someone other than yourself? Those posts?

When is a post not a post?

1) When Dark says it isn't.
2) When Dark replies to someone elses post.
3) When Dark gets caught in his normal positon of bending over a bar with
his pants down by making yet another idiotic statement which Dark then says
is forged.

Andre

Default Looking for yet another idiot troll post

JW wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:43:17 -0700 DarkMatter
wrote in Message id:
:

[DarkSplatter in his highly excitable Chihuahua-like state replies two
times. HAW HAW!!]

(snippage)

*Don't
*Feed
*The
*Trolls

]-

-A
Ross Mac

Default Looking for yet another idiot troll post - just look for DarkSplatter's posts.

Still laughing JW.....I can picture this fool sitting on the phone
books.....Good one...
Hey, I wrote a tune for the little "Turd Burglar"........

Sing this to "The Beverly Hillbillies Theme"..
Grab a banjo and sing along DarkMatter!

There once was a Tard Boy and his name was DarkMatter..
He wore a rubber helmet and posted round in here..
And then one day he was being pretty rude..
Then the newsgroups told him to "get a life dude"!...
Troll that is, skippy whipper, pencil neck geek!

The first thing you know he says he's an engineer..
His folks finally said "move away from here".
So he loaded up his helmet and his new set of knee pads.
And flew to San Diego where he became frustrated..
Rubber helmet, knee pads, ball gag!

And now it's time to say goodbye to Tard Boy and his fits.
This tube steak parasite will have to finally give it up..
He's whinin' bout top postin' cuz' he "does not have a life"...
If he'd drop his little skippy, he just might find a wife..

Shot to the Head!
Noose round' the neck!
Whatever it takes!
You all go away now Tard Boy, ya hear?

"JW" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:38:40 -0700 DarkMatter
wrote in Message id:
:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:40:47 -0400, JW Gave us:

Watch the language, pootie pie.

Look, you retarded dip****, I'll post in any lingual form which I
desire, and that includes calling ****ing retards like you exactly
what I think of you. Have fun getting anywhere stopping me from doing
so.

You're an angry little boy, aren't you? Did your slag of a mother refuse
to let you breast feed, and make you suckle from a unwashed turkey baster
instead?

Can't say I'd blame her one friggin' bit...

I know you have trouble with English,

I do just fine with english, dip****.

^
"English" should be capitalized, you momo. Until you can grasp that simple
fact, why don't you pull your bottom lip up over the back of your head and
suck in, DorkBlather?

but
the repeated beatings you've been begging for (and receiving, quite
enthusiastically) are a good motivational tool for misanthropic
microencephalic Future Organ Donors of America such as yourself.

You're a ****ing usenet retard, boy.

Your posts are repetitive and boring and have absolutely no redeeming
value whatsoever, save mocking. In the interest of humanity, I think you
should be euthanised.

(BTW, Usenet should be capitalized as well, Mr. English major.)

But,
only if you pay attention to the lessons pounded into you by your moral
and intellectual superiors.

Something of which you are not.

I certainly am as evidenced by this little exchange, and if I had to make
this any more obvious to you, I'd be forced to show up at your residence
with flash cards and a electric cattle prod.

That's damn near everyone who has access to a
computer keyboard, making your vetting process simple enough for even

you
to complete with a low rate of false positives.

No. That is a fantasy in your ****ed head. Neither you nor anyone
you were ever associated with qualify.

At this point, I'm wondering why you even bother stacking up enough phone
books to reach your grimy, drool-splattered keyboard, you talentless,
annoying little buttspud. Can't you find another group to troll, perhaps
in the alt.idiot.* hierarchy, where you'd certainly feel more at home?

Ross Mac

Same old "DarkManure" posts....He says the exact thing to EVERYBODY !!! No
finesse, no creativity, just the usual "DarkBlather".....A true, Usenet
Troll.
Here is little troll list...I am sure he has this posted in his dingy little
room where he routinely swallows his bong water and washes it back with
cheap whiskey! Your name, mine and many others are up on the wall with his
little drooled up score cards!

The new Trolling Point System for Trolls has been approved by the
Central Troll Committee for Troll Standards and Procedures. The new
TROLL POINT SYSTEM (TPS) will take effect on September 1, 1999.

10 points Killfile: Being Killfiled is the highest honor and
the most points a Troll can achieve. It represents
complete victory and indicates that the Troll has
performed on a MASTER TROLL level.

9 points Complaint to Trolls ISP: While not as good as being
killfiled, a complaint to a Trolls ISP indicates that
once again the TROLL has struck hard and deep.

8 points Death Threat: Another indication of a Master Troll at
Work. The death threat is firm proof that the Troll
has cut to the bone and left his victim (the fish)
floundering and gasping for air.

7 points Personal Verbal Attack: A personal verbal attack on a
Troll in response to a trolling post indicates that the
Troll has riled and disturbed the fish in question.

6 points Plea to Ignore Troll: A Plea from a Forum Group member
to other group regulars to ignore the Troll in question
is a sure sign that the Troll is doing his/her sport with
proficiency.

5 points Killfile response: When a poster who has claimed to have
KILLFILED a particular Troll, then responds to another Post
by the Troll in question, rates a solid 5 points for the
Trolls ability to snag a hypocritical fish.

4 points Logical response: A person who responds to a Troll trying
to use logic and reason to rebut a Troll is worth 4 points
for such stupidity as to think a Troll cares about what
they have to say.

3 points 10+ individual responses: When a post by a Troll gets at
least 10 responses from 10 different individuals.

2 points Positive response: If a Troll gets a positive response such
as ROFLOL: LOL: Great Post, etc.

1 point Any type of response at all.

"JW" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:50:42 -0700 DarkMatter
wrote in Message id:
:

On 22 Oct 2003 11:03:29 -0700, (Andre) Gave us:

. ..
wrote in Message id:
:

[DarkSplatter in his highly excitable Chihuahua-like state replies two
times. HAW HAW!!]

(snippage)

*Don't
*Feed
*The
*Trolls

]-

-A

He IS the ****ing troll, you dip****!

Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt.

Jim Thompson

ctrl-K... you're #48 ;-)

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:25:39 GMT, "Ross Mac"
wrote:

Same old "DarkManure" posts....He says the exact thing to EVERYBODY !!! No
finesse, no creativity, just the usual "DarkBlather".....A true, Usenet
Troll.
Here is little troll list...I am sure he has this posted in his dingy little
room where he routinely swallows his bong water and washes it back with
cheap whiskey! Your name, mine and many others are up on the wall with his
little drooled up score cards!

The new Trolling Point System for Trolls has been approved by the
Central Troll Committee for Troll Standards and Procedures. The new
TROLL POINT SYSTEM (TPS) will take effect on September 1, 1999.

10 points Killfile: Being Killfiled is the highest honor and

[snip]

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Ross Mac

Here is a snip from another group from "DuckManure"...

I NEVER said that I NEEDED a ****ing thing.

I have the prescription, because I WANTED it.

Take a hike, you retarded usenet troll ****!

He was commenting on his prescription for medical marijuana!.....I knew
it!!!!!!

wrote in Message id:
:

On 22 Oct 2003 11:03:29 -0700, (Andre) Gave us:

. ..
wrote in Message id:
:

[DarkSplatter in his highly excitable Chihuahua-like state replies two
times. HAW HAW!!]

(snippage)

*Don't
*Feed
*The
*Trolls

]-

-A

He IS the ****ing troll, you dip****!

Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt.

Ross Mac

Looks like your running up quite a score!
"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:25:39 GMT, "Ross Mac"
Gave us:

The new Trolling Point System for Trolls

You're an idiot, troll boy.

Ross Mac

Gurgle.....Gurgle.....there goes the bong water!.....
DarkBong is warming up for a post!
"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:54:17 GMT, "Ross Mac"
Gave us:

You don't know a ****ing thing about a ****ing thing, troll boy.