M.Burns

Default Wall-hanging garage-quality storage cabinets

Looking for garage-quality cabinets that hang on a cleat or slat system, so
that I can reposition them or easily add new cabinets.
Anyone have or seen anything like this? (...that doesn't cost a small
fortune)
Have poked around the internet, but the little of what I've seen is pretty
vague on any details.
M.B.

Amun

"M.Burns" wrote in message
newsYBSe.1550$Zp.1444@lakeread04...
Looking for garage-quality cabinets that hang on a cleat or slat system,

so
that I can reposition them or easily add new cabinets.
Anyone have or seen anything like this? (...that doesn't cost a small
fortune)
Have poked around the internet, but the little of what I've seen is pretty
vague on any details.
M.B.

You have to make a choice, as all that "easily customized" stuff all costs
big $$$$$$

Of course you could always buy regular cabinets and just screw them in
yourself.
if you need to move them just back out the screws, reposition, and rescrew.

BTW you do realize all that fancy stuff is not rated for any real weight
dont you ?
A few 3" screws into a 2X4 is far stronger

AMUN

User Example

Amun wrote:
"M.Burns" wrote in message
newsYBSe.1550$Zp.1444@lakeread04...

Looking for garage-quality cabinets that hang on a cleat or slat system,

so

that I can reposition them or easily add new cabinets.
Anyone have or seen anything like this? (...that doesn't cost a small
fortune)
Have poked around the internet, but the little of what I've seen is pretty
vague on any details.
M.B.

I just did this. Home Depot has the plastic cabinets for garages. They
are really supposed to sit on the ground. They have one version that is
about 6 feet high and another version that is 1/2 that. The small one
is supposed to be a base cabinet that sits on the ground but, I mounted
one on the wall. Since the cabinets aren't meant to be hung, I was able
to do it by adding a 16" wire shelf to my wall and then setting the
cabinet on that. The cabinet already had holes in the back for me to
put screws through to the wall so that it doesn't move. It is very
stable. The adjustable wire shelf makes it easy to move it as I need.
You could adapt this approach to any cabinet I suppose. The home depot
plastic ones are nice because they are relatively big, lightweight, and
strong.
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"M.Burns" wrote in message
newsYBSe.1550$Zp.1444@lakeread04...
Looking for garage-quality cabinets that hang on a cleat or slat system,
so that I can reposition them or easily add new cabinets.
Anyone have or seen anything like this? (...that doesn't cost a small
fortune)
Have poked around the internet, but the little of what I've seen is pretty
vague on any details.
M.B.

Go buy your cabinets and some 1x4 (or 1x6, probably preferred and preferably
something harder than pine, poplar is pretty cheap).
Rip the 1x4 in half with the blade tilted 45 degrees (I'm assuming you have
a table saw or circular saw).
Cross cut one half of your 1x4 into the lengths needed to mount to the back
of the cabinet near the top.
The remaining piece of 1x4 gets attached to the wall to form your "rail".
Set it up so the 45 degree angles
lock together when the cabinet is hung. Make sense?
Cheers,
cc

Amun

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
news

"M.Burns" wrote in message
[...]

Good idea and cheap to do.

one thing I might suggest though is to still drive 1 screw through the
cabinet into the board to keep someone from accidently lifting the cabinet
just enough to drop it off the "track"
(especially with little ones around)

AMUN

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

" Good idea and cheap to do.

one thing I might suggest though is to still drive 1 screw through the
cabinet into the board to keep someone from accidently lifting the cabinet
just enough to drop it off the "track"
(especially with little ones around)

AMUN

Agreed. Another item I forgot to mention, but assumed was obvious is to
mount the rail using screws or lags into the studs. This will give you
plenty of weight capacity.
Cheers,
cc

World Traveler

Sears sells a metal Craftsman wall cabinet that hangs from a metal cleat.
If you wait until it's on sale, and collect a few discount coupons in the
meantime, the price can be quite reasonable. I've hung four of them over my
workcounter. Regards --
"M.Burns" wrote in message
newsYBSe.1550$Zp.1444@lakeread04...
Looking for garage-quality cabinets that hang on a cleat or slat system,
so that I can reposition them or easily add new cabinets.
Anyone have or seen anything like this? (...that doesn't cost a small
fortune)
Have poked around the internet, but the little of what I've seen is pretty
vague on any details.
M.B.

willshak

On 9/4/2005 8:41 AM US(ET), M.Burns took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Looking for garage-quality cabinets that hang on a cleat or slat system, so
that I can reposition them or easily add new cabinets.
Anyone have or seen anything like this? (...that doesn't cost a small
fortune)
Have poked around the internet, but the little of what I've seen is pretty
vague on any details.
M.B.

All of the floor/wall cabinets in my garage are oak kitchen cabinets
that were saved from a renovation. Been there about 18 years.
I hung them up permanently, but I suppose that wall and cabinet cleats
can be added for versatility.

--
Bill

Looking for quality garage door supplier Andy Hall UK diy 3 September 3rd 05 12:14 AM
Quality of Wickes kitchen cabinets? David Dickinson UK diy 11 June 3rd 04 09:29 PM
Kitchen cabinets Lynn Home Ownership 16 March 23rd 04 04:51 PM
Wall tiles: low quality print? Jim Walsh UK diy 2 January 22nd 04 05:19 PM
Building an Extension (Garage and Block Selection) Andrew Welham UK diy 12 January 3rd 04 10:12 AM