Andy Hall

Default Looking for quality garage door supplier

The title says most of it.

I am looking for a manufacturer/supplier for a wooden garage door, 5m
wide and of substantial construction, probably up/over type but
sectional *may* be OK if of a suitably non-industrial looking design.

I've looked at most of the volume manufacturers such as Cardale,
Henderson etc., and am underwhelmed with the quality.

Does anybody have any known good quality suppliers that I could
investigate?

thanks

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Set Square

Andy Hall wrote:

The title says most of it.

I am looking for a manufacturer/supplier for a wooden garage door, 5m
wide and of substantial construction, probably up/over type but
sectional *may* be OK if of a suitably non-industrial looking design.

I've looked at most of the volume manufacturers such as Cardale,
Henderson etc., and am underwhelmed with the quality.

Does anybody have any known good quality suppliers that I could
investigate?

thanks

Have you considered *making* it?

It strikes me that a wooden door 5 metres wide is going to *b----y* heavy -
especially for up-and-over operation! Are you *sure* that's what you want?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andy Hall

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 23:28:38 +0100, "Set Square"

Andy Hall wrote:

The title says most of it.

I am looking for a manufacturer/supplier for a wooden garage door, 5m
wide and of substantial construction, probably up/over type but
sectional *may* be OK if of a suitably non-industrial looking design.

I've looked at most of the volume manufacturers such as Cardale,
Henderson etc., and am underwhelmed with the quality.

Does anybody have any known good quality suppliers that I could
investigate?

thanks

Have you considered *making* it?

I would do that, but I haven't been able to find a suitable good
quality (or any quality) mechanism. There is a new set of
legislation related to garage doors after last May, apparently, which
sets new requirements for the mechanisms.

It strikes me that a wooden door 5 metres wide is going to *b----y* heavy -
especially for up-and-over operation! Are you *sure* that's what you want?

Mmmm.. I know. I don't think that hinged at the side is going to be
practical for something of 2.5m wide, somehow.

I don't really want to go for anything like roller doors or probably
not even sectional because of their industrial appearance.

I'm not enthused by steel or plastic either.

Obviously this would be a motorised arrangement.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Capitol

Andy Hall wrote:
I would do that, but I haven't been able to find a suitable good
quality (or any quality) mechanism. There is a new set of
legislation related to garage doors after last May, apparently, which
sets new requirements for the mechanisms.

Probably the regulations apply to "supplied " garage doors, not home
built ones. I'd go and talk to my local garage door stockist/repairman,
and buy a couple of spare hinges-- probably Henderson of 20 years ago
pattern, they used to supply very substantial wooden doors which could
be mechanised, then diy!

Regards
Capitol