Ann

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:23:22 +0000, The Watcher wrote:
I'm not looking to avoid all and every catastrophe, but I do try to get
out of the way of the really obvious ones. The way to do that is pretty
easy. Don't play on the highway. Don't live in an OBVIOUS flood-prone
area(especially one that experiences hurricanes). Stay away from
earthquake faults. Others are pretty obvious to rational people.

I'm only speaking for what I know about, but the rules out living in the
eastern US.
Larry Caldwell

Default Nobody was listening.

This was published in National Geographic in October of 2004. The full
text of the article is available at

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/

It was a broiling August afternoon in New Orleans, Louisiana, the Big
Easy, the City That Care Forgot. Those who ventured outside moved as if
they were swimming in tupelo honey. Those inside paid silent homage to
the man who invented air-conditioning as they watched TV "storm teams"
warn of a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. Nothing surprising the
Hurricanes in August are as much a part of life in this town as
hangovers on Ash Wednesday.

But the next day the storm gathered steam and drew a bead on the city.
As the whirling maelstrom approached the coast, more than a million
people evacuated to higher ground. Some 200,000 remained, however—the
car-less, the homeless, the aged and infirm, and those die-hard New
Orleanians who look for any excuse to throw a party.

The storm hit Breton Sound with the fury of a nuclear warhead, pushing a
deadly storm surge into Lake Pontchartrain. The water crept to the top
of the massive berm that holds back the lake and then spilled over.
Nearly 80 percent of New Orleans lies below sea level—more than eight
feet below in places—so the water poured in. A liquid brown wall washed
over the brick ranch homes of Gentilly, over the clapboard houses of the
Ninth Ward, over the white-columned porches of the Garden District,
until it raced through the bars and strip joints on Bourbon Street like
the pale rider of the Apocalypse. As it reached 25 feet (eight meters)
over parts of the city, people climbed onto roofs to escape it.

Thousands drowned in the murky brew that was soon contaminated by sewage
and industrial waste. Thousands more who survived the flood later
perished from dehydration and disease as they waited to be rescued. It
took two months to pump the city dry, and by then the Big Easy was
buried under a blanket of putrid sediment, a million people were
homeless, and 50,000 were dead. It was the worst natural disaster in the
history of the United States.

When did this calamity happen? It hasn't—yet. But the doomsday scenario
is not far-fetched. The Federal Emergency Management Agency lists a
hurricane strike on New Orleans as one of the most dire threats to the
nation, up there with a large earthquake in California or a terrorist
attack on New York City. Even the Red Cross no longer opens hurricane
shelters in the city, claiming the risk to its workers is too great.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
Rich

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

If you stand in the middle of a highway long enough sooner or later you will
be hit by a car and it will serve you right.

G Henslee

Rich wrote:
"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message

snipped more useless drivel about Katrina

If you stand in the middle of a highway long enough sooner or later you will
be hit by a car and it will serve you right.

When you einstein's figure out a way to avoid all and every catastrophe
that finds it's way through the human existence, please be sure and let
us know the way.
Shiver

Larry Caldwell wrote:

This was published in National Geographic in October of 2004. The full
text of the article is available at

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/

Very interesting reading Larry.

I'm sure for those that have ever had the opportunity to travel
through those wetlands by boat ( big or small ) it must have
been an interesting journey.

G Henslee

Rich wrote:

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message

snipped more useless drivel about Katrina

If you stand in the middle of a highway long enough sooner or later you will
be hit by a car and it will serve you right.

When you einstein's figure out a way to avoid all and every catastrophe
that finds it's way through the human existence, please be sure and let
us know the way.

I'm not looking to avoid all and every catastrophe,

So, there may be some you'd like to experience?

but I do try to get out of
the way of the really obvious ones. The way to do that is pretty easy. Don't
play on the highway. Don't live in an OBVIOUS flood-prone area(especially one
that experiences hurricanes). Stay away from earthquake faults. Others are
pretty obvious to rational people.

No ****... Well at least you're not advocating compiling an arsenal of
weapons, water and toilet paper and moving into a hole somewhere in
Idaho as many did for the 2K scare. Or did you? '-)
Duane Bozarth

The Watcher wrote:

....Don't live in an OBVIOUS flood-prone area(especially one
that experiences hurricanes). ...

And, of course, don't build ports and ancillary supporting
infrastructure and industry heavily reliant on such facilities near
those areas either...
FDR

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Rich wrote:
"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message

snipped more useless drivel about Katrina

If you stand in the middle of a highway long enough sooner or later you
will be hit by a car and it will serve you right.

When you einstein's figure out a way to avoid all and every catastrophe
that finds it's way through the human existence, please be sure and let us
know the way.

According to the report, it was in the top 3 disasters considered by FEMA.
It wasn't every catastrophe, but a very important one. The point is that
planning and preperation are important. Sure, maybe you can't save the
city, but you can try and save the people.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

And, of course, don't build ports and ancillary supporting
infrastructure and industry heavily reliant on such facilities near
those areas either...

We should build the ports inland where they will be safer.

stevie

There are probably many people that would have loved to move away from NO or
southern Louisiana; a lot of them probably knew that the possibility of
disaster was there.

But most poor people don't have a choice of where to live.

[...]

tomkanpa

I'm only speaking for what I know about, but the rules out living in
the
eastern US. =A0

____Reply Separator_____

Staying away from earthquake faults rules out living in the eastern
U=2ES.?????

Shiver

The government welfare system could have stopped paying them to live
there. People go where the money is.

Wow......

Just out of idle curiousity - Where do you thing they should
relocate too....?????????
Ann

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 12:08:32 -0700, tomkanpa wrote:

I'm only speaking for what I know about, but the rules out living in
the
eastern US. Â*

____Reply Separator_____

Staying away from earthquake faults rules out living in the eastern
U.S.?????

What I was replying to was: "....Don't live in an OBVIOUS flood-prone
area(especially one that experiences hurricanes). Stay away from
earthquake faults. ..."

Of course I was mainly thinking of hurricanes, but there sure are faults
in the eastern US. I experienced a small earthquake when I was living in
DE.

enigma

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
t:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

And, of course, don't build ports and ancillary supporting
infrastructure and industry heavily reliant on such
facilities near those areas either...

We should build the ports inland where they will be safer.

well, if it didn't mean dredging shipping lanes in the delta,
that really isn't a bad idea... there are inland ports on the
Great Lakes, which are connected to the ocean by the
St.Lawrence Seaway.

lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
keith

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 19:40:07 +0000, Shiver wrote:

wrote:

The government welfare system could have stopped paying them to live
there. People go where the money is.

Wow......

Just out of idle curiousity - Where do you thing they should
relocate too....?????????

Martha's Vinyard or Nantucket. Teddy and John should be able to take a
bunch.

--
Keith
enigma

"Ann" wrote in
news
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:23:22 +0000, The Watcher wrote:
I'm not looking to avoid all and every catastrophe, but I
do try to get out of the way of the really obvious ones.
The way to do that is pretty easy. Don't play on the
highway. Don't live in an OBVIOUS flood-prone
area(especially one that experiences hurricanes). Stay
away from earthquake faults. Others are pretty obvious to
rational people.

I'm only speaking for what I know about, but the rules out
living in the eastern US.

huh? what natural disasters happen in the eastern US with any
regularity? or matbe a better question would be to ask you to
define "eastern US"?
i live in NH currently. we rarely get hurricances, more
rarely tornadoes. while Seabrook nuclear power plant is built
on the only major fault line in NH or Mass, we haven't had a
noticable earthquake in over 50 years. there is no geothermal
activity (volcanoes). even Nor'Easters aren't common. no
plagues of locusts lately (although were due for tent
caterpillers again). it's generally too wet for a major forest
fire & floods aren't common either...
lee

--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Don Bruder

In article , "stevie"
wrote:

There are probably many people that would have loved to move away from NO or
southern Louisiana; a lot of them probably knew that the possibility of
disaster was there.

But most poor people don't have a choice of where to live.

HORSE****!

No matter how rich or poor, we all (Err... well, there are *SOME*
unfortunate exceptions, but that's exactly what they a exceptions)
come equipped with two feet and can start walking and/or hitchhiking to
get someplace else. Don't even *TRY* to give me the bull**** "They were
too poor to leave" whine. The *ONLY* ones who can't leave anytime they
want to bad enough are those with broken bodies, and those under
restraint. (Thinking specifically of prison/jail inmates, though there
may be the rare "other reason for being restrained" types) Everybody
else, no matter how rich or poor, is free to come and go by whatever
method happens to work, whether that means a private jet, a luxury motor
home, a 20 year old, oil-belching Datsun clunker that calls making 35
MPH a damn fine run, a bicycle, or shank's mare.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Don Bruder

In article . com,
"tomkanpa" wrote:

I'm only speaking for what I know about, but the rules out living in
the
eastern US.

Staying away from earthquake faults rules out living in the eastern
U.S.?????

Three words:
New Madrid Fault

It's said that if it ever lets go, it'll make every quake ever recorded
in California - *COMBINED* - Look like a 30 second session on a
trampoline.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.

Duane Bozarth

enigma wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
t:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

And, of course, don't build ports and ancillary supporting
infrastructure and industry heavily reliant on such
facilities near those areas either...

We should build the ports inland where they will be safer.

well, if it didn't mean dredging shipping lanes in the delta,
that really isn't a bad idea... there are inland ports on the
Great Lakes, which are connected to the ocean by the
St.Lawrence Seaway.

Except the type of shipping supplying the Gulf Coast oil refineries
can't make it up the St Lawrence...

I actually was meaning the assertion mostly in sarcastic vein...implying
that having ports for ocean-going vessels anywhere near the ocean was
obviously poor planning.
Tony Hwang

enigma wrote:

"Ann" wrote in
news

[...]

Hi,
Are you touching the wood? I am in Alberta. What natural disaster?
No nuke plant. Provincial government is swimming in surplus budget.
Don't even know what to do with all the money pouring in every day.
As a centennial gift, they may drop health care premium for all, and
lower the income tax. Only flaw is little cold winter weather but
not much snow, no humidity. Just dry cold with clear blue sky.
Tony
Shiver

Tony Hwang wrote:

Provincial government is swimming in surplus budget.

We call that the Alberta advantage.
Ann

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:04:51 +0000, enigma wrote:

"Ann" wrote in
news
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:23:22 +0000, The Watcher wrote: ...
I'm not looking to avoid all and every catastrophe, but I do try to
get out of the way of the really obvious ones. The way to do that is
pretty easy. Don't play on the highway. Don't live in an OBVIOUS
flood-prone area(especially one that experiences hurricanes). Stay
away from earthquake faults. Others are pretty obvious to rational
people.

I'm only speaking for what I know about, but the rules out living in
the eastern US.

huh? what natural disasters happen in the eastern US with any
regularity? or matbe a better question would be to ask you to define
"eastern US"?

New Orleans doesn't flood "with regularity" either.

I'm not saying that the New England states are a hot bed of tropical
storms, but snow runoff can cause flooding too. And NH's earthquake
history does include some serious ones.

New Hampshire Department of Safety
http://www.nhoem.state.nh.us/Natural...alHazards.shtm " ...In
1978 another great blizzard hit New England.* The Blizzard of '78 dumped
24 to 38 inches of the white stuff immobilizing the infrastructure and
blocking major interstate highways. *Thousands of motorists abandoned
their automobiles on the highways and in some areas upwards of 2 weeks
were required to clear the snow. More recent blizzards and snowstorms
occurred in March of 1993 and February of 1996. These events killed scores
of people, caused millions of dollars in damage and left thousands of
people without power for days."

i live in NH currently. we rarely get hurricances, more
rarely tornadoes. while Seabrook nuclear power plant is built on the
only major fault line in NH or Mass, we haven't had a noticable
earthquake in over 50 years. there is no geothermal activity
(volcanoes). even Nor'Easters aren't common. no plagues of locusts
lately (although were due for tent caterpillers again). it's generally
too wet for a major forest fire & floods aren't common either... lee

Duane Bozarth

tomkanpa wrote:

I'm only speaking for what I know about, but the rules out living in
the
eastern US.

____Reply Separator_____

Staying away from earthquake faults rules out living in the eastern
U.S.?????

Well, except for the New Madrid (Memphis area) most are small and
relatively inactive, but there are certainly faultlines in the eastern
US.

Ann

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 23:11:51 +0000, FDR wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message
news
[...]

Yeah, I can see how you can compare a 100 billion dollar storm with
thousands killed with a storm costing a few millions and "scores"

No, I wasn't making a comparison. Rather, saying that there is no place
in the eastern US (which the last time I looked, includes part of the
south) is safe from natural disaster of one type or another. I used the
snow storm example because it hadn't been mentioned yet.

Hurricanes kill many and cost millions and millions every year in the
south.

Not all hurricanes kill many and the cost doesn't necessarily reflect the
severity. The cost depends on the value of the buildings it takes out.
Vic Dura

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:32:39 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote
Re Nobody was listening.:

enigma wrote:

"Ann" wrote in
news

[...]

Sounds like a great place to send the refugees from N.O.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Dave Jefford

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:58:29 GMT, Larry Caldwell wrote:

Why worry? If you believe in God everything will take care
of itself. Pray, pray and everything will be back to normal.

Jesus will be coming soon and the world will end. We all
will go to heaven.

[...]

Dave Jefford

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 19:40:07 GMT, Shiver wrote:

wrote:

The government welfare system could have stopped paying them to live
there. People go where the money is.

Wow......

Just out of idle curiousity - Where do you thing they should
relocate too....?????????

Heaven, God is waiting for you.

FDR

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
enigma wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
t:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

And, of course, don't build ports and ancillary supporting
infrastructure and industry heavily reliant on such
facilities near those areas either...

We should build the ports inland where they will be safer.

well, if it didn't mean dredging shipping lanes in the delta,
that really isn't a bad idea... there are inland ports on the
Great Lakes, which are connected to the ocean by the
St.Lawrence Seaway.

Except the type of shipping supplying the Gulf Coast oil refineries
can't make it up the St Lawrence...

I actually was meaning the assertion mostly in sarcastic vein...implying
that having ports for ocean-going vessels anywhere near the ocean was
obviously poor planning.

The problem is tha there's a concentration of refineries without substantial
redundancy. But anyway, they still make money from jacking up the price.

Tom Miller

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:13:15 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

| In article , "stevie"
| wrote:
|
| There are probably many people that would have loved to move away from NO or
| southern Louisiana; a lot of them probably knew that the possibility of
| disaster was there.
|
| But most poor people don't have a choice of where to live.
|
| HORSE****!
|
| No matter how rich or poor, we all (Err... well, there are *SOME*
| unfortunate exceptions, but that's exactly what they a exceptions)
| come equipped with two feet and can start walking and/or hitchhiking to
| get someplace else. Don't even *TRY* to give me the bull**** "They were
| too poor to leave" whine. The *ONLY* ones who can't leave anytime they
| want to bad enough are those with broken bodies, and those under
| restraint. (Thinking specifically of prison/jail inmates, though there
| may be the rare "other reason for being restrained" types) Everybody
| else, no matter how rich or poor, is free to come and go by whatever
| method happens to work, whether that means a private jet, a luxury motor
| home, a 20 year old, oil-belching Datsun clunker that calls making 35
| MPH a damn fine run, a bicycle, or shank's mare.

We'll be sending them all to your town real soon.

| --
| Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
| Short form: I'm trashing EVERY E-mail that doesn't contain a password in the
| subject unless it comes from a "whitelisted" (pre-approved by me) address.
| See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.

Don Bruder

In article ,
"Ann" wrote:

[...]

The Blizzard of '78 was murder on us in Michigan, too. I remember it all
too clearly, despite being a youngster. The wind started blowing out of
the north-northwest late in the afternoon of January 23rd, the day
before my birthday, and by dark, was screaming through at 30+ sustained,
with gusts to 60 and up. When it got "Almost but not entirely unlike
daylight" out the next morning, you couldn't see the street from the
front door, the snow was falling and blowing so fast. The radio stations
were reporting gusts above 80, and warning anybody that didn't have a
life-and-death emergency to stay under whatever shelter they were in
'cause the temp (41 below at our airport) and wind (officially, 51 MPH
with gusts to 73) would freeze exposed flesh in seconds. My birthday
party was cancelled, of course... The storm didn't end until the 28th.
Lake-effect snow dumped - and I mean *REALLY* dumped - on the west side
of the state. Speaking purely of "what I saw myself", when things died
down enough to start poking heads out and looking around, it was a
weird, white landscape. The 11-story Park Place hotel in Traverse City
was drifted in so deep you could literally walk up the drift on the
southeast side (which completely covered the TC Players' Theatre
building next door, and ultimately collapsed its roof) and knock on the
third floor windows. Downtown was basically a wash... 8th street, the
main drag, was impassable for days because the whole "canyon" that the
multi-story buildings on either side formed was drifted solid to between
15 and 18 feet deep. Several people (including us) in the neighborhood
had to literally tunnel out the front door - The houses were buried
completely in some places, with nothing but chimney-tops or TV antennas
to show where they even *WERE*. A few blocks over from us, in the lee of
a big warehouse-type structure, about 3 blocks worth of the entire
street vanished - Looking across where you should see houses standing
and cars parked, you saw absolutely nothing but flat snow with nothing
but the ripple-marks the wind carved in it. Snow drifts across US-23
(just to name one major highway) ranged from 14-25 feet high, with some
of them hundreds of feet long. Private folks who happened to have trucks
carrying snow-blades nibbled away at the drifts to open up the roads
until the county road commission could get its heavy-duty gear dug out
of the completely drifted in county barn/storage lot to start plowing
"for real". Things were shut down solid for at least three days after
that one blew through, and still choked in some out-of-the-way places a
month later. Us kids took advantage of it, of course... More than a few
were seen sledding down the drifts from the tops of houses

On the bright side, we had two weeks of "no school - Nobody can FIND it
for all the snow!"

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.

tomkanpa

Why worry? If you believe in God everything will take care
of itself. Pray, pray and everything will be back to normal.

Jesus will be coming soon and the world will end. We all
will go to heaven.

____Reply Separator_____

I knew someone, from somewhere, sooner or later would post this
bull****.
Hey, if you want to go with jesus to get your 72 virgins then I'm sure
there are some who post on this site can tell you what plants to
consume.
Arrrrrrrrgh! I'm coming jesus! This is the big one! get my 72 virgins
lined up.

Dumbo

If you stand in the middle of a highway long enough sooner or later you will
be hit by a car and it will serve you right.

How far from you is the nearest nuclear plant? Were you born such a
moron or did you train to become one?

FDR

"Ann" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 23:11:51 +0000, FDR wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message
news
[...]

Well, why don't you start telling us about highway accident fatalities and
drug fatalities too. Yeah, there's danger everywhere. However, there are
safer places to live than others. And this type of disaster parses the
danger level really well. I'd take NH anyday compared to FL or LA when you
see the intensity of the storms that hit.

Hurricanes kill many and cost millions and millions every year in the
south.

Not all hurricanes kill many and the cost doesn't necessarily reflect the
severity. The cost depends on the value of the buildings it takes out.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Don Bruder" wrote in message

No matter how rich or poor, we all (Err... well, there are *SOME*
unfortunate exceptions, but that's exactly what they a exceptions)
come equipped with two feet and can start walking and/or hitchhiking to
get someplace else.

While you are technically correct, it just does not work that way in
society. Many of the poor, uneducated, were born in the city and just don't
know any better. Your simplistic answer will probably come true for tens of
thousands with no place to go, but many will return if for no other reason
than the fear of the unknown.

Of course there are others that know the danger and make the choice to live
in an area because of the perceived rewards of life in that region. They are
willing to take the risk. It has worked for a couple hundred years, but now
that changed.

Offbreed

Ann wrote:

Of course I was mainly thinking of hurricanes, but there sure are faults
in the eastern US. I experienced a small earthquake when I was living in
DE.

Interesting subject. A quick search yielded these two sites:

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/states/new_york/

http://mceer.buffalo.edu/infoservice/faqs/eqlist.asp

"Nonetheless, between 1730 and 1986, more than 400 earthquakes for which
location could be determined occurred in New York State. These
earthquakes had a magnitude greater than about 2.0. During this period,
New York State has had the third highest earthquake activity of states
east of the Mississippi River. Only South Carolina and Tennessee have
been more seismically active."

Uni-Com BZ149 "Listening Light" devices, odd behaviours [email protected] UK diy 3 March 1st 18 04:54 PM
speaker wire habbi Metalworking 126 March 14th 05 10:49 PM
Excedrin Headache number 1,001 Bob Paulin Metalworking 73 December 6th 04 06:54 PM