FDR

"Ann" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:04:51 +0000, enigma wrote:

"Ann" wrote in
news
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:23:22 +0000, The Watcher wrote: ...
I'm not looking to avoid all and every catastrophe, but I do try to
get out of the way of the really obvious ones. The way to do that is
pretty easy. Don't play on the highway. Don't live in an OBVIOUS
flood-prone area(especially one that experiences hurricanes). Stay
away from earthquake faults. Others are pretty obvious to rational
people.

I'm only speaking for what I know about, but the rules out living in
the eastern US.

huh? what natural disasters happen in the eastern US with any
regularity? or matbe a better question would be to ask you to define
"eastern US"?

New Orleans doesn't flood "with regularity" either.

I'm not saying that the New England states are a hot bed of tropical
storms, but snow runoff can cause flooding too. And NH's earthquake
history does include some serious ones.

New Hampshire Department of Safety
http://www.nhoem.state.nh.us/Natural...alHazards.shtm " ...In
1978 another great blizzard hit New England. The Blizzard of '78 dumped
24 to 38 inches of the white stuff immobilizing the infrastructure and
blocking major interstate highways. Thousands of motorists abandoned
their automobiles on the highways and in some areas upwards of 2 weeks
were required to clear the snow. More recent blizzards and snowstorms
occurred in March of 1993 and February of 1996. These events killed scores
of people, caused millions of dollars in damage and left thousands of
people without power for days."

Yeah, I can see how you can compare a 100 billion dollar storm with
thousands killed with a storm costing a few millions and "scores"

Hurricanes kill many and cost millions and millions every year in the south.

i live in NH currently. we rarely get hurricances, more
rarely tornadoes. while Seabrook nuclear power plant is built on the
only major fault line in NH or Mass, we haven't had a noticable
earthquake in over 50 years. there is no geothermal activity
(volcanoes). even Nor'Easters aren't common. no plagues of locusts
lately (although were due for tent caterpillers again). it's generally
too wet for a major forest fire & floods aren't common either... lee