Ann

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 02:03:56 +0000, FDR wrote:
"Ann" wrote

Well, why don't you start telling us about highway accident fatalities
and drug fatalities too.

Ask the person who brought the subject up.

Yeah, there's danger everywhere. However,
there are safer places to live than others. And this type of disaster
parses the danger level really well. I'd take NH anyday compared to FL
or LA when you see the intensity of the storms that hit.

So would I, but because I prefer the climate.
TURTLE

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
k.net...
This was published in National Geographic in October of 2004. The full
text of the article is available at

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/

It was a broiling August afternoon in New Orleans, Louisiana, the Big
Easy, the City That Care Forgot. Those who ventured outside moved as if
they were swimming in tupelo honey. Those inside paid silent homage to
the man who invented air-conditioning as they watched TV "storm teams"
warn of a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. Nothing surprising the
Hurricanes in August are as much a part of life in this town as
hangovers on Ash Wednesday.

But the next day the storm gathered steam and drew a bead on the city.
As the whirling maelstrom approached the coast, more than a million
people evacuated to higher ground. Some 200,000 remained, however—the
car-less, the homeless, the aged and infirm, and those die-hard New
Orleanians who look for any excuse to throw a party.

The storm hit Breton Sound with the fury of a nuclear warhead, pushing a
deadly storm surge into Lake Pontchartrain. The water crept to the top
of the massive berm that holds back the lake and then spilled over.
Nearly 80 percent of New Orleans lies below sea level—more than eight
feet below in places—so the water poured in. A liquid brown wall washed
over the brick ranch homes of Gentilly, over the clapboard houses of the
Ninth Ward, over the white-columned porches of the Garden District,
until it raced through the bars and strip joints on Bourbon Street like
the pale rider of the Apocalypse. As it reached 25 feet (eight meters)
over parts of the city, people climbed onto roofs to escape it.

Thousands drowned in the murky brew that was soon contaminated by sewage
and industrial waste. Thousands more who survived the flood later
perished from dehydration and disease as they waited to be rescued. It
took two months to pump the city dry, and by then the Big Easy was
buried under a blanket of putrid sediment, a million people were
homeless, and 50,000 were dead. It was the worst natural disaster in the
history of the United States.

When did this calamity happen? It hasn't—yet. But the doomsday scenario
is not far-fetched. The Federal Emergency Management Agency lists a
hurricane strike on New Orleans as one of the most dire threats to the
nation, up there with a large earthquake in California or a terrorist
attack on New York City. Even the Red Cross no longer opens hurricane
shelters in the city, claiming the risk to its workers is too great.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

This is Turtle

I don't need all this bandwide to explain New Orleans and how it got cought with
it's draws down. When a Small bar owners can clear $1,000.00 a nite , a General
contractor make good money fixing up falling down building, a Pan Handler can
make him $500.00 a day coning visitors to the city with cons, and a good looking
Hooker can clear about $2,000.00 a nite. WELL , Your not getting these people to
leave work and loose that kind of money because of some stupid hurrican warning
issued by the Mayor who we don't even know his name.

The same thing happen to Camereon , Louisiana back in 1957 when Audrew hit
there. It kill 400+ but was extimated at about 600. I remember going down there
after the storm in a 1957 Chevy of my grand fathers and they had cows hanging in
the electric wires coming into the city. When there is a hurrican warning there
now days . hey, They move their asses out of there. When they tell them to move
out. They town is a ghost town in about 6 hours. they leave everything to flood
insurance and move out.

TURTLE

Offbreed

NapalmHeart wrote:
"Shiver" wrote in message

Just out of idle curiousity - Where do you thing they should
relocate too....?????????

Higher ground.

I sure wouldn't be able to tell where that was. I thought the whole city
was below sea level.
Dave Jefford

On 3 Sep 2005 17:54:37 -0700, "tomkanpa" wrote:

Why worry? If you believe in God everything will take care
of itself. Pray, pray and everything will be back to normal.

Where is God, is he sleeping? Maybe a Christian here will wake
him up?

Jesus will be coming soon and the world will end. We all
will go to heaven.

Dave Jefford

On 3 Sep 2005 18:16:03 -0700, "Dumbo" wrote:

My God will protect me, as I pray every day. Even if a
truck run over me, I can always call Benny Hines, Robert
Tilton or Pat Robertson (after a big donation) I will be as
good as before the accident!

Good Huh?

If you stand in the middle of a highway long enough sooner or later you will
be hit by a car and it will serve you right.

How far from you is the nearest nuclear plant? Were you born such a
moron or did you train to become one?

Philip Lewis

Duane Bozarth writes:
I actually was meaning the assertion mostly in sarcastic vein...implying
that having ports for ocean-going vessels anywhere near the ocean was
obviously poor planning.

No, what is poor planning is not building things in a manner that
allowed for floods to take them out.

If *I* wanted to build something near the ocean, and the ground was 9
feet below seal level, I'd seriously consider building on 13 foot
stilts anchored in bedrock, or at least a honking big slab of
concrete.

--
be safe.
flip

Philip Lewis

Dave Jefford writes:
Why worry? If you believe in God everything will take care
of itself. Pray, pray and everything will be back to normal.

God: What more do you want, I sent two trucks, a canoe, rowboat, and a
helicopter!

(google if you don't know the joke)

--
be safe.
flip
Remove origin of the word spam from address to reply (leave "+")

(PeteCresswell)

Per tomkanpa:
Arrrrrrrrgh! I'm coming jesus! This is the big one! get my 72 virgins
lined up.

After getting nailed by a daisy-cutter bomb, Osama makes his way to the pearly
gates.

There, he is greeted by George Washington.

"How dare you attack the nation I helped conceive!" yells Mr. Washington,
slapping Osama in the face.

Patrick Henry comes up from behind.

"You wanted to end the Americans' liberty, so they gave you death!" Henry
punches Osama on the nose.

James Madison comes up next, and says "This is why I allowed the Federal
government to provide for the common defense!" He drops a large weight on
Osama's knee.

Osama is subject to similar beatings from John Randolph of Roanoke, James
Monroe, and 65 other people who have the same love for liberty and America.

As he writhes on the ground, Thomas Jefferson picks him up to hurl him back
toward the gate where he is to be judged.

As Osama awaits his journey to his final very hot destination, he screams "This
is not what I was promised!"

An angel replies "I told you there would be 72 Virginians waiting for you.
What did you think I said?"

PeteCresswell
NapalmHeart

"Shiver" wrote in message

The government welfare system could have stopped paying them to live
there. People go where the money is.

Wow......

Just out of idle curiousity - Where do you thing they should
relocate too....?????????

Higher ground.

Ann

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 19:31:16 -0700, Offbreed wrote:

Ann wrote:

Of course I was mainly thinking of hurricanes, but there sure are faults
in the eastern US. I experienced a small earthquake when I was living in
DE.

Interesting subject. A quick search yielded these two sites:

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/states/new_york/

The USGS does do some nifty wesites. Until Katrina delivered 4+ " of rain,
I was a daily visitor to their stream flow data. g

http://mceer.buffalo.edu/infoservice/faqs/eqlist.asp

"Nonetheless, between 1730 and 1986, more than 400 earthquakes for which
location could be determined occurred in New York State. These
earthquakes had a magnitude greater than about 2.0. During this period,
New York State has had the third highest earthquake activity of states
east of the Mississippi River. Only South Carolina and Tennessee have
been more seismically active."

Wish now I'd have kept one link I found, and I don't remember the search
terms. It was about a researcher who had used satellite images to help
find a bunch of previously unrecognized faults around the Finger Lakes.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Offbreed" wrote in message

Higher ground.

I sure wouldn't be able to tell where that was. I thought the whole city
was below sea level.

Most of it is, but there are a few high spots.

Rich

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why worry? If you believe in God everything will take care
of itself. Pray, pray and everything will be back to normal.

Jesus will be coming soon and the world will end. We all
will go to heaven.

____Reply Separator_____

I knew someone, from somewhere, sooner or later would post this
bull****.
Hey, if you want to go with jesus to get your 72 virgins then I'm sure
there are some who post on this site can tell you what plants to
consume.
Arrrrrrrrgh! I'm coming jesus! This is the big one! get my 72 virgins
lined up.

What's a virgin?

Gort

FDR wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

Rich wrote:

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message

snipped more useless drivel about Katrina

If you stand in the middle of a highway long enough sooner or later you
will be hit by a car and it will serve you right.

When you einstein's figure out a way to avoid all and every catastrophe
that finds it's way through the human existence, please be sure and let us
know the way.

According to the report, it was in the top 3 disasters considered by FEMA.
It wasn't every catastrophe, but a very important one. The point is that
planning and preperation are important. Sure, maybe you can't save the
city, but you can try and save the people.

That's the problem. Politicos think of them as people rather than
taxpayers. They just don't realize where the money actually comes from.
LA lost a lot of revenue, but they haven't figured that out yet.

inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.
PaPaPeng

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:18:40 GMT, Shiver
wrote:

This was published in National Geographic in October of 2004. The full
text of the article is available at

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/

I was in New Orleans for a week in July last year. I read the Nat
Geo when it came out end September but forgot all about it. I had
my full attention on the telly for the past week and while mesmerized
I wasn't surprised. So that's why I had a strange uneasy feeling of
déjà vu about Katrina.

The Nat Geo article is pretty much what the locals said about their
city. There was kind of nonchalance to the effect that "If it happens
it'll happen. But will live through it."

How much more an accurate prediction can you make than

[...]

And yet when it happened no one was prepared for the consequences.
"Some 200,000 remained, however, the car-less, the homeless, the aged
and infirm, .." makes one ask why wasn't there a plan to evacuate
them. Why wasn't there a plan to house and feed them in the
evacuation zone? Why wasn't there any survival literature on what to
do should they chose to remain and face the flood? . Its obvious that
thousands would remain for the reasons already known.

Something is terribly amiss when disaster management officials could
predict so accurately the consequences of a levee breach, a breach as
a consequence of a devasting storm, and yet no one thought through as
what to do with the people.
Steve Cothran

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 05:57:31 GMT, "Rich" wrote:

! This is the big one! get my 72 virgins
lined up.

What's a virgin?

Dear Lord,
If you don't care too much, could you change mine to 72 32- year-olds
who know what the hell they are doing?

Dean Hoffman

In article ,
PaPaPeng wrote:

And yet when it happened no one was prepared for the consequences.
"Some 200,000 remained, however, the car-less, the homeless, the aged
and infirm, .." makes one ask why wasn't there a plan to evacuate
them. Why wasn't there a plan to house and feed them in the
evacuation zone? Why wasn't there any survival literature on what to
do should they chose to remain and face the flood? . Its obvious that
thousands would remain for the reasons already known.

Something is terribly amiss when disaster management officials could
predict so accurately the consequences of a levee breach, a breach as
a consequence of a devasting storm, and yet no one thought through as
what to do with the people.

There was a plan in place but it wasn't followed. Article he

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...ma,1,1257870.s
tory?coll=chi-news-hed

I read elsewhere that Louisiana had its own plan. It called for the
use of school buses and such to transport people who had no personal
transportation.

Dean

Harry K

Dave Jefford wrote:
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:58:29 GMT, Larry Caldwell wrote:

Why worry? If you believe in God everything will take care
of itself. Pray, pray and everything will be back to normal.

Jesus will be coming soon and the world will end. We all
will go to heaven.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Pray that the vicious god who sent the
storm will make it all o.k. again? I wonder just how that prayer would
read.

Harry K

Dr. Hardcrab

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

Why worry? If you believe in God everything will take care
of itself. Pray, pray and everything will be back to normal.

Jesus will be coming soon and the world will end. We all
will go to heaven.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Pray that the vicious god who sent the
storm will make it all o.k. again? I wonder just how that prayer would
read.

Everyone knows that President Bush caused the hurricane!!! Those damn
republicans are going to kill us all!!!!
THE SKY IS FALLING!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

Let us pray:

"Hymn 43"

Oh father high in heaven -- smile down upon your son
whose busy with his money games -- his women and his gun.
Oh Jesus save me!
And the unsung Western hero killed an Indian or three
and made his name in Hollywood
to set the white man free.
Oh Jesus save me!
If Jesus saves -- well, He'd better save Himself
from the gory glory seekers who use His name in death.
Oh Jesus save me!
I saw him in the city and on the mountains of the moon --
His cross was rather bloody --
He could hardly roll His stone.
Oh Jesus save me!

God! He stole the handle, and the train it won't stop rolling no way to slow
down........

"Oh, Lord! Won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz!!!...."

;-]

YouKidding?

In article ,
Dave Jefford wrote:

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:52:41 GMT, Larry Caldwell wrote:

Jesus will be coming soon and the world will end. We all
will go to heaven.

Do you know you are going to burn in hell for your pride and arrogance?

Frankly I would rather be burn in hell, than to be in heaven with
you, Benny Hine, Robert Tilton, Pat Roberson and the rest of
the crooks... (and you know who)

Who is Benny Hine? Isn't his name Benny Hinn?

YK
willshak

On 9/4/2005 9:29 AM US(ET), YouKidding? took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

In article ,
Dave Jefford wrote:

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:52:41 GMT, Larry Caldwell wrote:

Jesus will be coming soon and the world will end. We all
will go to heaven.

Do you know you are going to burn in hell for your pride and arrogance?

Frankly I would rather be burn in hell, than to be in heaven with
you, Benny Hine, Robert Tilton, Pat Roberson and the rest of
the crooks... (and you know who)

Who is Benny Hine? Isn't his name Benny Hinn?

YK

Benny Hill was more believable.

--
Bill

Dave Jefford

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 06:37:11 -0500, Steve Cothran wrote:

Dear Lord,
If you don't care too much, could you change mine to 72 32- year-olds
who know what the hell they are doing?

Praying by yourself, your wish might not be granted. But
if you donate a huge sum to Robert Tilton or Benny Hine
your wish will be definitely be granted.

Dave Jefford

On 03 Sep 2005 23:31:32 -0400, Philip Lewis
wrote:

Money, money... they only wanna money!

BTW, way why do they need so much money?

Dave Jefford writes:
Why worry? If you believe in God everything will take care
of itself. Pray, pray and everything will be back to normal.

God: What more do you want, I sent two trucks, a canoe, rowboat, and a
helicopter!

(google if you don't know the joke)

Dr. Hardcrab

"YouKidding?" wrote in message

wrote:

Jesus will be coming soon and the world will end. We all
will go to heaven.

Do you know you are going to burn in hell for your pride and arrogance?

Frankly I would rather be burn in hell, than to be in heaven with
you, Benny Hine, Robert Tilton, Pat Roberson and the rest of
the crooks... (and you know who)

Who is Benny Hine?

Great Japanese restaurant!!!!

I love the way they prepare and cook everything right at the table!

The Watcher

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 16:59:06 -0400, "Ann" wrote:

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:04:51 +0000, enigma wrote:

"Ann" wrote in
news
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:23:22 +0000, The Watcher wrote: ...
I'm not looking to avoid all and every catastrophe, but I do try to
get out of the way of the really obvious ones. The way to do that is
pretty easy. Don't play on the highway. Don't live in an OBVIOUS
flood-prone area(especially one that experiences hurricanes). Stay
away from earthquake faults. Others are pretty obvious to rational
people.

I'm only speaking for what I know about, but the rules out living in
the eastern US.

huh? what natural disasters happen in the eastern US with any
regularity? or matbe a better question would be to ask you to define
"eastern US"?

New Orleans doesn't flood "with regularity" either.

Not quite, but it does face the prospect every spring. Is that regularity enough
for you? New Orleans has faced the threat of flooding every year for just about
every year since it was founded, and that was whether or not hurricanes hit it.
Hurricanes were just another threat.
(snip)

The Watcher

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:30:23 -0700, G Henslee wrote:

The Watcher wrote:
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:14:23 -0700, G Henslee wrote:

Rich wrote:

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message

snipped more useless drivel about Katrina

If you stand in the middle of a highway long enough sooner or later you will
be hit by a car and it will serve you right.

When you einstein's figure out a way to avoid all and every catastrophe
that finds it's way through the human existence, please be sure and let
us know the way.

I'm not looking to avoid all and every catastrophe,

So, there may be some you'd like to experience?

No. I've recognized that **** happens.

but I do try to get out of
the way of the really obvious ones. The way to do that is pretty easy. Don't
play on the highway. Don't live in an OBVIOUS flood-prone area(especially one
that experiences hurricanes). Stay away from earthquake faults. Others are
pretty obvious to rational people.

No ****... Well at least you're not advocating compiling an arsenal of
weapons, water and toilet paper and moving into a hole somewhere in
Idaho as many did for the 2K scare. Or did you? '-)

No, I moved from Louisiana(dumb move, eh?) to Arkansas, got some weapons, water,
probably a normal amount of toilet paper, and moved to 45 acres of nice country
property which I enjoy long before the Y2K scare. I bet you're another of those
people who like to ridicule survivalists, aren't you? You'd think after this
week it would sink in a bit more that maybe those survivalists are onto
something with their ideas about preparing for disasters. After this week a LOT
of people have learned the consequences of failure to prepare for disaster, as
well as the consequences of depending on the government to take care of them in
a disaster. Anybody here still think the government gonna be there for you in a
disaster?
The Watcher

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:49:51 -0400, "Ann" wrote:

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 23:11:51 +0000, FDR wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message
news
[...]

There's a valuable clue you can look at to judge whether that statement is
valid: Are there any levees in the area? The presence of levees indicates a
flood control issue. You may notice that levees are not built in the desert too
often. They're not built all over the country, especially where they're not
needed. I grew up in Louisiana, within about 100 feet of a levee, so I'm used to
seeing them around. Louisiana has LOTS of levees, which indicates to me they
have a rather large flood control problem. If you want some idea of the problem
they are fighting, you might want to read John McPhee's book, The Control of
Nature.
(snip)
No, I wasn't making a comparison. Rather, saying that there is no place
in the eastern US (which the last time I looked, includes part of the
south) is safe from natural disaster of one type or another. I used the
snow storm example because it hadn't been mentioned yet.

I don't much care for snow either. That's why I didn't move to an area which
gets much snow. Arkansas was about as far north as I cared to go.
(snip)
Robert Allison

TURTLE wrote:

[...]

Turtle,

I was wondering if you were OK. I don't know exactly where
you are in LA, but I was hoping that you didn't get hit by
this. Glad to hear from you.

Having lived in NO for a couple of years back in the 70s, this
has been pretty personal. The first refugees have arrived
here in Austin last night. I am currently under the weather,
but intend to go down and serve as a volunteer as soon as I am
well.

Hoping that you and yours are doing well and hoping for the
best for the southeast, Miss. and Alabama.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Larry Caldwell

In article , dh0496
@i*neb%&rsinvalid.com (Dean Hoffman) says...

There is a list here of the deadliest hurricanes that hit the U.S.
I wonder what Galveston looked like in 1900.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/table2.gif

Galveston was wiped out, but it was a small town by comparison.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Ann

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 15:01:09 +0000, The Watcher wrote:

[...]

There is usually small stream flooding and road closings at least once a
year where I live. But it has been several years since it was serious
enough for an emergency to be declared. There are two large COE
dams/impounds about 5 miles away; they're primarily to prevent flooding
in an adjoining state and downstream in my state. It would take
significant money to convince me to live in the town at the base of the
dam that collapsed when it was partially built.

No, an intentional release or breach wouldn't cause the $$ damage or loss
of life as there was in New Orleans. But the op was talking about
individual safety. If you're killed, it's immaterial whether no one else
was or 1,000 more were.

New Orleans has faced the threat of flooding every year for just about
every year since it was founded, and that was whether or not hurricanes
hit it. Hurricanes were just another threat. (snip)

Dave Jefford

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 09:29:08 -0400, "YouKidding?" wrote:

Who is Benny Hine? Isn't his name Benny Hinn?

OK I goof, it's BENNY HINN. I just love watching
him on TV. Imagine the huge crowd of followers
and more all over the world, and hundred of
millions tax free dollars?

Dave Jefford

On 4 Sep 2005 05:48:22 -0700, "Harry K" wrote:

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Pray that the vicious god who sent the
storm will make it all o.k. again? I wonder just how that prayer would
read.

Harry K

Hey, I forgot it's now "Intelligent Design".
What a load of trash! It's not pray, it's "MONEY"

Dave Jefford

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:40:50 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
wrote:

Who is Benny Hine?

Great Japanese restaurant!!!!

I love the way they prepare and cook everything right at the table!

No, No, it Japanese Tapan! I just love the way the prepare lobsters.
Is Benny Nine a Tapan cook?

Here's is a site for a good tapan...

http://www.sugarvine.com/minisite/re...estaurant=4963

Dr. Hardcrab

wrote:

Who is Benny Hine?

Great Japanese restaurant!!!!

I love the way they prepare and cook everything right at the table!

No, No, it Japanese Tapan! I just love the way the prepare lobsters.
Is Benny Nine a Tapan cook?

Here's is a site for a good tapan...

http://www.sugarvine.com/minisite/re...estaurant=4963

No, I'm sorry.

I was thinking of his cousin Benny Hannah.........

Uni-Com BZ149 "Listening Light" devices, odd behaviours [email protected] UK diy 3 March 1st 18 04:54 PM
speaker wire habbi Metalworking 126 March 14th 05 10:49 PM
Excedrin Headache number 1,001 Bob Paulin Metalworking 73 December 6th 04 06:54 PM