John Richards

Default Noisy sump pump check valve

The check valve for my sump pump is noticeable noisier than it used to be,
it used to be just a "thunk" which was somewhat noisy but now it sounds like
it is chattering when it closes. I haven't been aware of the sump pump even
coming on for awhile (months?) so was wondering if there might be some
rubber in the valve that could have dried out. Whatever the reason for the
chattering I'm guessing that I need a new check valve. The check valve that
is there now is fastened solidly in the drain line which transfers the noise
to the whole drain pipe making it even noisier than it has to be even when
it is working correctly. Is there a valve available that is "decoupled"
from the drain pipe when installed or would it be practical to fabricate
some kind of flexible or soft material between the drain pipe and the check
valve?

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

John Richards wrote:
The check valve for my sump pump is noticeable noisier than it used to be,
it used to be just a "thunk" which was somewhat noisy but now it sounds like
it is chattering when it closes. I haven't been aware of the sump pump even
coming on for awhile (months?) so was wondering if there might be some
rubber in the valve that could have dried out. Whatever the reason for the
chattering I'm guessing that I need a new check valve. The check valve that
is there now is fastened solidly in the drain line which transfers the noise
to the whole drain pipe making it even noisier than it has to be even when
it is working correctly. Is there a valve available that is "decoupled"
from the drain pipe when installed or would it be practical to fabricate
some kind of flexible or soft material between the drain pipe and the check
valve?

my setup has a pipe raising from the pump to just out of the pit. the
check valve is mounted there. So I can easily change the valve by
unplugging the pump for a while. But I think this adds to the noise
since this length of pipe will always be empty when the pump starts.not
that big a deal.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Posted to alt.home.repair
vman922

John,

I just had the same problem and there is a solution. A plumbing
company in my area just came out with a Quiet check valve a month ago.

My whole house would shake from the noise created by the check valve.
The noise has dissapeared with this new check valve.

The company is Black Diamond Plumbing. Here is a link to thier web
site:
http://www.blackdiamondplumbing.com/

Hope this helps!!!!

--
vman922
vman922's Profile: http://www.HomeOutfit.com/member.php?userid=278

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

vman922 wrote:
John,

I just had the same problem and there is a solution. A plumbing
company in my area just came out with a Quiet check valve a month ago.

My whole house would shake from the noise created by the check valve.
The noise has dissapeared with this new check valve.

The company is Black Diamond Plumbing. Here is a link to thier web
site:
http://www.blackdiamondplumbing.com/

Hope this helps!!!!

on my pump I put a piece of plastic PVC above the check valve to
function like a hammer arrestor. I also moved the pipe slightly so it
did not but the floor joist. Its quiet now.

--
Thank you,

Check valve for waste pump Chambers Home Repair 10 July 26th 05 12:13 AM
Central Heating Pumps, and Pump Ball Valves Mike Dodd UK diy 9 April 28th 05 01:11 AM
Broken Sump Pump? toller Home Repair 12 April 4th 05 03:04 PM
sump pump running continuously [email protected] Home Ownership 1 February 21st 05 05:02 PM
single check valve pressure drop Matthew Barnard UK diy 1 July 24th 03 08:00 PM