KD

Default Concrete Crack Repair

My patio is one-year old, and has a hairline crack going across it.

I'm looking for the best way to repair this.

You can find a picture he

http://www.y4hdesigns.com/images/patio_0001.jpg

Thank you!

Joseph Meehan

KD wrote:
My patio is one-year old, and has a hairline crack going across it.

I'm looking for the best way to repair this.

You can find a picture he

http://www.y4hdesigns.com/images/patio_0001.jpg

Thank you!

I would not bother trying to fix it. It is likely to continue to move
until things settle down. I would give at least another year and then try
some concrete crack filler.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

BobK207

Unfortunaely the crack control "cuts" didn't do their job. I

MO any attempt at repair (shorto of removal of the cracked "section"
will be more noticable than the crack itself.

Concrete cracks, the key is getting the crack to be where you want them

KD

So would you guys just cut the entire section out (7x7 feet), or cut on
both sides of that crack (maybe 7x3) and regroove there?

I don't mind the demo work and repouring, but if I don't have to do a
TON of concrete, that's all the better.

What about the overlay stuff?

Amun

"KD" wrote in message
oups.com...
So would you guys just cut the entire section out (7x7 feet), or cut on
both sides of that crack (maybe 7x3) and regroove there?

I don't mind the demo work and repouring, but if I don't have to do a
TON of concrete, that's all the better.

What about the overlay stuff?

As Joseph already said, something hasn't settled yet or it would not have
cracked.

Wait a year or two, or just chisel out the crack and refill with thinset if
the aesthetics are that bad but it will likely crack again if it keeps
settling.

Did you do this yourself or did you hire someone to do the job ?

There may be a warranty.

Chris

It looks like you provided expansion relief where you needed to but
being only a year old, I'd give it another year and see what happens
to the rest of it. After another year goes by, if you don't mind
doing the demo, I'd replace the one section. Crack repair fills the
crack but cosmetically but it does look like repaired concrete. If
it was a wet pour OR dried too fast, you might see something like
that. Otherwise, was the ground prepped pretty well so it hasn't been
shifting and settling? Almost looks like it might be heaving up under
the crack.

On 26 Aug 2005 10:50:57 -0700, "KD" wrote:

So would you guys just cut the entire section out (7x7 feet), or cut on
both sides of that crack (maybe 7x3) and regroove there?

I don't mind the demo work and repouring, but if I don't have to do a
TON of concrete, that's all the better.

What about the overlay stuff?

KD

I had a guy do it, and I can't seem to get him back out here to look at
it, but he's aware of it. The house was in for over a year before the
patio, so most of the settling should have been done, and the same guy
did my other flatwork around my house with no other cracks, so I'd
guess it's a bad guess on the expansion joints (we had a hard time
deciding with all of the curves in the patio (it has rounded edges, and
several turns).

The crack is just outside where the door exits. I'm fairly sure that
the prep work was done well. No other cracking is evident at this
point, and the crack itself is fairly stable (it's been there since a
few months after the install, and has maintained.

Maybe I'll just wait until next summer/spring, then cut it out and redo
that section.

Chris

I'd probably wait if it were me. Cracks like that after a few months
would cause me to wonder a bit about the whole project. I guess if
you were to re-do it, you might want to place an expansion joint
within some of those radius sections. I probably over-did my patio.
Poured it 20 years ago and used wood as my expansion joints and it's
still like new. Placed joints within every 100 sq ft which seems
excessive to many people but again, I'm fortunate that mine hasn't had
any problems due to weather, etc. Guy doesn't want to come back
because he's afraid of having to give you a free-bee ;-)

On 26 Aug 2005 12:50:58 -0700, "KD" wrote:

I had a guy do it, and I can't seem to get him back out here to look at
it, but he's aware of it. The house was in for over a year before the
patio, so most of the settling should have been done, and the same guy
did my other flatwork around my house with no other cracks, so I'd
guess it's a bad guess on the expansion joints (we had a hard time
deciding with all of the curves in the patio (it has rounded edges, and
several turns).

The crack is just outside where the door exits. I'm fairly sure that
the prep work was done well. No other cracking is evident at this
point, and the crack itself is fairly stable (it's been there since a
few months after the install, and has maintained.

Maybe I'll just wait until next summer/spring, then cut it out and redo
that section.

Gazoo

Sometimes the best laid concrete cracks..its just the nature of concrete.

I'd just leave it alone if it doesn't heave.

No-one notices but you anyway.

oups.com...