Frogleg

Default Refrigerator collecting water?

I have a 30-yr-old Kenmore automatic-defrost fridge with freezer
compartment at the top that suddenly started generating pools of
(clean-looking) water on the floor of the fridge, just below where the
produce storage bins are.

Everything still seems frozen nicely in the freezer. I don't have an
icemaker. Nothing has died in the produce bins. There is no connection
to either a water source, nor is there a drain line.

Where do I start looking? What might the problem be? TIA
MadonnaC

sounds like the drain line from the automatic defrost is blocked. The
water is from the automatic defrost not draining to the evaporator pan,
but instead coming straight down the back of the refrigerator. You
could try turning it off for a few hours to let the freezer defrost
completely and see if that will unblock the drain line

Savvy 1

"Frogleg" wrote in message
I have a 30-yr-old Kenmore automatic-defrost fridge with freezer
compartment at the top that suddenly started generating pools of
(clean-looking) water on the floor of the fridge, just below where the
produce storage bins are.

Everything still seems frozen nicely in the freezer. I don't have an
icemaker. Nothing has died in the produce bins. There is no connection
to either a water source, nor is there a drain line.

Where do I start looking? What might the problem be? TIA

Blocked drain line...probably a sticker that fell off a bread package or
some such...

Dave Harnish

If you pop off the left lamp cover, you'll see a little white
drain funnel, next to the tstat, that pulls straight off. That's
usually where the drain clogs were on these.

I'd take that funnel to the sink and wash it out, then hold a
wet-vac hose (I use the smaller 5 or 6 gallon size) to the
drain hole the funnel fits into and run it to backflush any
'gunk' out of the line down to the drain pan. A rubber
squeeze bulb's handy, too, for forcing hot water down the
drain from this point if it's really stubborn.

Cleaning the funnel usually did the trick on the older ones.
In some cases the drain freezes up in the trough under the
evaporator, but that was somewhat rare in the older
WPL/KM's, for whatever reason. If that's what you find,
there's an easy fix for that, too. Talked about that in the
October, 2004 issue of my newsletter:
http://www.DavesRepair.com/DRSNbackissues/drsn1004.htm

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair
technician! Get your monthly email newsletter he
(Back issues now posted too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3

"Frogleg" wrote in message
I have a 30-yr-old Kenmore automatic-defrost fridge with

freezer
compartment at the top that suddenly started generating pools

of
(clean-looking) water on the floor of the fridge, just below

where the
produce storage bins are.

Everything still seems frozen nicely in the freezer. I don't

have an
icemaker. Nothing has died in the produce bins. There is no

connection
to either a water source, nor is there a drain line.

Where do I start looking? What might the problem be? TIA

Frogleg

Geez -- what did people do before the 'net?

Thanks to all. I will check drain and report. My 'thanks is real and
most grateful.

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Hot water recirculation [email protected] Home Repair 18 August 9th 04 05:32 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM