Bill

Default Cleaning tall metal chimney from downstairs?

I am going to be installing a tall metal wood stove chimney which will be
11 ft. high from the roof. Note that my roof is also at about a 45 degree
slope, so I can't stand on the roof.

Needless to say, there will be no way to clean this chimney from the top
down without a high-lift.

I spoke to a lady who has a similar chimney and she said they had theirs
cleaned from inside the house - bottom up. Unfortunately, she was not home
when it was cleaned, so did not know how they did it.

The wood stove I will be purchasing will not allow cleaning from inside the
wood stove.

So how do you clean a chimney from inside the house?

SQLit

"Bill" wrote in message
I am going to be installing a tall metal wood stove chimney which will be
11 ft. high from the roof. Note that my roof is also at about a 45 degree
slope, so I can't stand on the roof.

Needless to say, there will be no way to clean this chimney from the top
down without a high-lift.

I spoke to a lady who has a similar chimney and she said they had theirs
cleaned from inside the house - bottom up. Unfortunately, she was not home
when it was cleaned, so did not know how they did it.

The wood stove I will be purchasing will not allow cleaning from inside

the
wood stove.

So how do you clean a chimney from inside the house?

Some chimney sweeps have a sectioned pole for the cleaning head. The one I
saw was in about 3 foot long sections. Have not a clue where you would buy
one. I guess you could make your own.

Don Bruder

In article ,
"Bill" wrote:

I am going to be installing a tall metal wood stove chimney which will be
11 ft. high from the roof. Note that my roof is also at about a 45 degree
slope, so I can't stand on the roof.

Needless to say, there will be no way to clean this chimney from the top
down without a high-lift.

I spoke to a lady who has a similar chimney and she said they had theirs
cleaned from inside the house - bottom up. Unfortunately, she was not home
when it was cleaned, so did not know how they did it.

The wood stove I will be purchasing will not allow cleaning from inside the
wood stove.

So how do you clean a chimney from inside the house?

You start out by desiging it inside-cleanable...

Put a "T" piece in, same size as your main flue.

For an "out the side/back" chimney:

| |
| |
| |
| |
----- | |
|stove|---| |
| |---| |
| | | |
| | ^----- Clean from here
-----
/ \

For an "out the top" style:

| |
| |
| |
| |
-----| |
/ ----| |
/ / | |
| | | |
----- ^----- Clean from here
|stove|
| |
| |
| |
-----
/ \

In both cases, the lower arm of the "T" has a suitable cover that's kept
in place when the stove is fired.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Stu

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:16:36 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

So how do you clean a chimney from inside the house?

It is a long process but can be done. Take off the flue pipe from the
stove to the ceiling. Drill a 1 inch hole centered in the bottom of a
five-gallon bucket. Insert the first three-foot section of your
cleaning brush through the hole from the top-side of the bucket. Place
the brush in the flue and have a helper hold the bucket (the bucket
holds all the crap that falls down) against the ceiling. Add more
sections as you go until you reach the top and then reverse the
process. A good cleaning will take several cycles.
Offbreed

SQLit wrote:

Some chimney sweeps have a sectioned pole for the cleaning head. The one I
saw was in about 3 foot long sections. Have not a clue where you would buy
one. I guess you could make your own.

Our local Ace Hardware has them. As should any place that sells wood
stoves.

Cj Johansson

Bill wrote:

I am going to be installing a tall metal wood stove chimney which will be
11 ft. high from the roof. Note that my roof is also at about a 45 degree
slope, so I can't stand on the roof.

Needless to say, there will be no way to clean this chimney from the top
down without a high-lift.

I spoke to a lady who has a similar chimney and she said they had theirs
cleaned from inside the house - bottom up. Unfortunately, she was not home
when it was cleaned, so did not know how they did it.

The wood stove I will be purchasing will not allow cleaning from inside the
wood stove.

So how do you clean a chimney from inside the house?

See:

http://www.bozchimneysweep.com

I had one for years in my last house, heated only with wood - worked
great. Don't have a wood stove now (all solar/hydronic) though if I did,
I'd install one of these again.

-cj
Marilyn & Bob

Get rod kit + appropriate size brush:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...99#productinfo
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Cj Johansson" wrote in message ...
Bill wrote:

[...]

Chimney / Fireplace Question [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 22nd 04 04:36 PM
Fireplace / Chimney Question [email protected] Home Ownership 15 December 22nd 04 02:12 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM
Electrolytic Cleaning Doug Goncz Metalworking 3 August 28th 03 05:53 PM