Zing

Default NO hot water

My daughter has a Bradford White water heater # MITW40L6L910 for what
it's worth. The unit is only about 7 years old with relatively little
use. By that I mean there are not 14 people in the house taking 25
showers a day and doing tons of wash. It is ONE PERSON for years and
now TWO people.

I am told that the manual states that this unit has ELECTRONIC IGNITION
for the PILOT LIGHT.
I assume this means there IS A PILOT LIGHT but it lights like a
barbecue grill if it needs relighting.

NO hot water. Hubby tried to relight it and no good.
It has a POWER VENT on top.
I read somewhere that the POWERVENT is tied in to the igniton system.

QUESTION ?????????

Vent does not go on and the heater does NOT light up ? Correct ?

I did a lot of searching on the internet and found virtually nothing on
TROUBLESHOOTING these models. I have the NON-POWERVENT models and am 60
miles away. So I have not seen their unit to try and help.

I went to HOW STUFF WORKS and no good - info only on older
NON-POWERVENT models.

1) Comments/suggestions for TROUBLESHOOTING this problem ?? ( other
than the OBVIOUS one = call a PRO )

2)Any sites with info on these heaters with POWER VENTS ? I found none.

3) On POWERVENT models, if they need to be replaced, does the VENT
ASSEMBLY just hook on to the NEW HEATER ???

4) Do the POWERVENT assemblies have a UNIVERSAL plug ???

TIA

Speedy Jim

Zing wrote:

[...]

The Power Vent (induced draft blower) is an integral part of
the heater. New heater will come with it.

If the blower does not come on, it could mean there is no
electric power to the heater, or that the thermostat inside
the heater is not functioning, or that the control module
is bad.

There is very little the homeowner can do in troubleshooting
other than verifying that power is available to the heater.

Have them look up the warranty papers- some heaters
provide 7 yrs coverage.

It will be a tossup on a 7 yr old heater whether to repair
or replace. And the PowerVent is expensive.

Jim
hvactech2

On 21 Aug 2005 13:12:52 -0700, "Zing" wrote:

My daughter has a Bradford White water heater # MITW40L6L910 for what
it's worth. The unit is only about 7 years old with relatively little
use. By that I mean there are not 14 people in the house taking 25
showers a day and doing tons of wash. It is ONE PERSON for years and
now TWO people.

I am told that the manual states that this unit has ELECTRONIC IGNITION
for the PILOT LIGHT.
I assume this means there IS A PILOT LIGHT but it lights like a
barbecue grill if it needs relighting.

NO hot water. Hubby tried to relight it and no good.
It has a POWER VENT on top.
I read somewhere that the POWERVENT is tied in to the igniton system.

it is.

QUESTION ?????????

Vent does not go on and the heater does NOT light up ? Correct ?

Yes.

I did a lot of searching on the internet and found virtually nothing on
TROUBLESHOOTING these models. I have the NON-POWERVENT models and am 60
miles away. So I have not seen their unit to try and help.

I went to HOW STUFF WORKS and no good - info only on older
NON-POWERVENT models.

1) Comments/suggestions for TROUBLESHOOTING this problem ?? ( other
than the OBVIOUS one = call a PRO )

2)Any sites with info on these heaters with POWER VENTS ? I found none.

3) On POWERVENT models, if they need to be replaced, does the VENT
ASSEMBLY just hook on to the NEW HEATER ???

4) Do the POWERVENT assemblies have a UNIVERSAL plug ???

TIA

The only answer is the obvious. call a pro. These can be a problem to
troubleshoot. it could be any umber of things and I cannot
troubleshoot this over the net.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Edwin Pawlowski

"hvactech2" wrote in message

it could be any umber of things

That narrows it down. Look for something brown and replace it

TKM

"Zing" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

On my powervent water heater the power line goes directly to the thermostat.
Unless it is working properly (closing the circuit to the vent motor,
ignition, etc), nothing else starts.

When the thermostat calls for heat, the blower on the vent starts. The
airflow builds and trips a switch that fires the electronic ignition. When
the ignition coil heats, then the gas supply to the burner turns on. You
can hear things happen in sequence. There is a series of clicks followed by
the whoosh of the gas flame.

But, the circuitry is complicated because of interlocks. Without someone
who can check the circuitry, there is little you can do by remote control
except perhaps make sure that the heater is getting power. Certainly check
the circuit breaker and if the heater is plugged into an outlet, make sure
the plug is tight and that there is power at that plug.

TKM

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Hot water recirculation [email protected] Home Repair 18 August 9th 04 05:32 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM