Mike O'Donnell

Default Run romex along side heading duct?

I'm planning to run two new 15 amp circuits from the basement up to the
second floor of our 36 year old house. These will be used for general
outlets and a future whole house fan. I've found a first floor wall I can
run it through, but the space between the studs currently has a metal
heating duct in it. There is enough space next to the duct, but is it
acceptable (and safe) to run standard romex along side a residential, forced
air heating duct? The wire wouldn't be attached to the duct, but it would
be within an inch or two, and probably touching it in several places. I
wouldn't think the temp would be a problem; it would be nowhere near the 90C
temp rating of the wire, but I wasn't sure if there might be any long term
effects on the wire. It would be along side it for about 10 feet.

Just to make it clear, I am NOT talking about running it inside the duct.

Any information would be appreciated.

Mike O.

Mike O'Donnell

Thanks. It's pretty much what I figured, but I just wanted to make sure I'm
not missing something. We just moved in a few years ago and are planning
to stay for a long time, and I didn't want to do something either dangerous,
or it's going to give me problems down the roadl.

- Mike O.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
[...]

Dont really see a problem with it, dont it myself. Just keep the wire
as far as possible
away from the duct. (dont want any sharp corners (if any) coming in
contact with the
cable.

Tom